Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs **BadLuck 52 Part 2- Paint**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BadLuck, Jun 9, 2012.

1. BadLuck

BadLuck

I know a lot of you have been waiting for paint pics....so I decided to start a new thread for the body and paint stage of my car. Here's the link to my Chop thread for those of you that missed it. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627163

So Ive been trying to decide whether i was going to send my car out for body and paint.. or do it myself. Ive done several paint jobs.. but nothing on this level. I thought about it long and hard and figured there's really only one way to learn..and that's to do it myself.

Another reason is Ive done all of the work myself so far with the exception of the chop, i just helped a little on that.. basically was there to watch and learn.. my buddy "demonacm50" helped me out alot also.. and of coarse tons of questions answered here on the HAMB by "Rusk" and "chopt49" on my 4-link.. but the motor swap and install, electrical, drive shaft tunnel, rear end, brakes, rear 4-link suspension, air ride, gas tank, trunk floor, C-notch, body work etc was pretty much all done in my driveway.. so id really like the satisfaction of saying..It was built by me and not dropped off at a shop.

I know its not going to be a 100% flawless paint job and i actually don't want it to be.. I drive the shit out of my car.. and where i live in the desert.. i go down lots of dirt roads visiting family and friends.. i even drive it to work quite a bit which is a 60 mile round trip on the freeway... so i just want it to be a nice driver.. and if i get a ding or rock chip on it.. i wont curl up and die over it!

So when you see it at a show.. cut me some slack ok! This is my first "nice" paint job.. and keep in mind it was done in the driveway and my garage, fighting wind, rain, snow, dust, bugs, dogs, tumbleweeds, nosey neighbors, you name it! Now i know there's going to be a "oh, there's a little spot here that he missed" or a " oh, what happened here?" or "he should've done this or that" but you know what.. im ok with it!
    Here's a few of the body work and blocking stage.. sorry for the crappy cell phone pics..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First thing I did was I finally retired my trusty old Binks gun for a couple of Devilbiss gravity feed guns.. Now i ALMOST look like a professional!

[​IMG]

I wanted to start with my dash first.. then move to the roof and finish that. If im happy with the results, I'll feel comfortable to go ahead and spray the body.

Im doing a metallic base coat clear coat.. The roof and dash are getting flaked, and im two toning my dash a cream white color with the Metallic Kiwi green.

Welded in the hole in the dash where the original shifter went..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we go... spraying the basecoat..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sprayed the flake...

[​IMG]

Few coats of clear...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sprayed the lower half a Vintage White a few weeks ago..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. BadLuck

BadLuck

The flake doesnt show well in pics.. but it looks great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still need a few more coats of clear over the whole dash to bury the flake .. The white has not been cleared yet either...

3. Lookin good!

Love the green! Which color is that?

4. deto

deto

Sick balls!!! I dig it!

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

Bout time... whatchoo been doing all this time... loafin'? :D Looks freakin' awesome!!!

6. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Dash looks awesome! It's hard to get flake to show you need a few lights so it sparkles from different angles. I dig it. Don't worry about what people say if you do it yourself and take pride in it that's all that matters. I'm about to flake my Wife's 51 dash and I think you might have talekd me into doing the lower half white! Good luck on the top!

7. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

That is great Chris. It's a far cry from the anti-goldchainer I met a while ago! Now get on the body!!

8. Jantrix

Jantrix

Love the color! Looking forward to seeing this done!

9. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i tip my hat to you, working outside and just doing it. it's true, you can only read about it or talk about it for so long, at some point you've got to start. i looks great so far. find the new style guns are hard to move around sometimes.i having trouble spraying under my coupe's visor, oh well, good luck to you.

10. BadLuck

BadLuck

thanks..its a Kiwi Metallic.. tweaked a little..

hahaha! loafin??!! shiiiiiiiit... thanks buddy!

thanks Mr. Dickies.. lets see pics of that 51 when you flake it!

Thanks Eric... yeah, this shiny paint thing is actually pretty cool... you might want to think about it for the 36 soon! ;)

11. chopt49

chopt49

great start to getting her all dressed up - keep the pictures coming...

12. ausbuick

ausbuick

looks sweet to me man

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Looks good man. You should be very proud of your work.

14. What they all said ^^^^^ We got a new thread to subscribe to . Diggin it man !!!

15. toucan

toucan
    from sc

more flake!more flake! it looks great!

16. BadLuck

BadLuck

thanks.. yeah it take some getting use to switching guns.. but theses are soooo much nicer.
    thanks buddy.. just wish i had your grill treatment on mine!!
    thanks ausbuick
    thanks zman, i think it should turn out alright,,,, i hope!
    thanks aw1950
    thats what i say! the roof will get lots more :D

17. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Looking sick bro! cant wait to see the rest of the car painted!

18. BadLuck

BadLuck

cleared the Vintage White today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my crappy camera doesn't show the color and flake very well.. but its bright and flakey!

[​IMG]

19. greasebandit0801

greasebandit0801
    from houston

Looks good love the flake on the dash

20. BadLuck

BadLuck

thanks... actually gonna hit it with a little more tomorrow haha!

21. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Love that color! Looks great!!!

22. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Damn , that is a great looking paint job on that dash ! If the rest of the car turns out that good , you are going to have one great looking car !
    Can I ask if that is the gun set that Eastwood sells in a kit ? I was looking at a kit like yours from the same maker but wanted to find out how good they shoot before I buy the set . If it's not , can you tell me where you got the guns and how much they set you back . I will be doing just what you are doing . I am going to paint my car myself and that will be my first car to paint ! I have never painted a car yet and always wanted to learn so my car will be the first one . I just like doing as much as I can myself instead of farming the work out . It also saves a ton of cash that I can put to wards something else .
    Also who made the paint you are using ?
    Keep up the great work !

Retro Jim

23. Lookin good!

24. BadLuck

BadLuck

thanks Jim.. its a great feeling knowing you did it yourself.. not to mention what you said about saving money.. I bought the kit off Ebay.. heres a link you can check it out.. they all run around $150.. but they are awesome.. great kit.. comes with a paint and a primer gun.. sprays out like silk.. and with way less pressure.. love them.. bought a gun stand at Harbor Freight for 8 bucks..works great.. the primer, paint, and the flake sprayed great.. should of tossed my syphon feed Binks gun a loooong time ago!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEVILBISS-S..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item2c612b32ae&vxp=mtr

been using Valspar Automotive paint.. used it on several other little projects and have been real happy with it..

25. BadLuck

BadLuck

thanks guys

26. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

27. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

lookin pretty good Chris. Can't wait to see the whole car painted up

28. BadLuck

BadLuck

thanks buddy.. I see you got a new car, thats gonna be a fun ride.. super cool

29. BadLuck

BadLuck

alright... i dumped more flake on the dash tonight.. I guess it wasn't enough for me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  30. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

here's a tip for the new gun, when you not useing it and it's stored, i like to leave the tip loose so as to not keep the nylon washers compressed. it will stay compressed after awhile and you nice new gun wil "drool" or spit little drops and drive you crazy. maybe the pro's know this but us part timers have to learn the hard way. i leave it clean and loose, i tighten it up just before use. just don't forget to tighten it up before you add paint or you'll have a nice mess to clean up right under you gun. i know this!