Register now to get rid of these ads!

painting over por15?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1954 rocket 98, Jun 10, 2012.

1. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

has anyone painted over por15? I painted the frame for my olds with it and was thinking about painting the frame the same color as the car.
    the car is going to be teal and white. was going to paint the frame teal.
    with all the bolt on parts (i.e. a-arms, springs front and back, axle all being black powder coated.) have seen painted frames but usually everything is painted one color.

if i do paint it the teal how well will the paint stick. i was thinking i would just scuff the surface and go with that. if this is going to give me a bunch of issues i may just leave it all black and go with that.

the skirt is the color i am going to go with.

Attached Files:

2. 35desoto

35desoto

Once it dries it is very hard to paint over - they sell a product that etches onto the POR 15 to allow you to paint over the stuff.
    I've POR15 painted the boot floor on my 63 dodge and applied an undercoat to it as the POR 15 was drying to allow me to paint the boot area once the car has been finished in its body prep. This will allow a topcoat/colour coat to be added at a later stage without having to "etch" prime it with another product yet again. I think seeing yours will be well and truly dry you will have little option other than applying the correct "etch" as sold by the POR 15 people.
    I'd also like to hear if others have a different opinion or answer

3. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

thanks desoto, looked on por's website looks like this would be the product to go with in my situation. if anybody else is interested in doing the same thing. http://www.por15.com/TIE-COAT-PRIMER/productinfo/TCG/
    has anyone else done this or used this product?

4. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Yup, need to get the etch! Scuffing will not do a good job (200), you'll need 80 or 100 to get the bite for the paint to stay on!

5. Shaner's74

Shaner's74

I used the por 15 then used their primer over it. I used it for floorboards etc but nothing that will be seen. It works great on skin! Some got through a cut in my glove and dried before I found it. It took 1 1/2 - 2 weeks for it to wear off.

6. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

yup, i put on rubber gloves the broke and a bunch leaked in, really allowed the por 15 to set into my skin for a good week

7. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

and my opinion for what its worth is dont paint it and save yourself the time and headache, the frame looks great and who really is going to be checking out your frame and really caring if its been painted or not? I used por 15 on my frame and glade to see you did also, i like that fact we extended the life of our frames for a future hamber

1Nimrod likes this.
  8. Leave it alone !!!...way too much extra work.

9. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

why

10. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

Why? mostly just for the look of it, something diffrent. I have had this car for 23 years a long time to think about how i want it. here's the engine going in it, so it might be a little overkill painting the frame. not painting it would save me some time and get me closer to driving it again.

Attached Files:

11. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

I would leave it black myself. That black restored frame w/the bottom of the body in red oxide and the teal = HOT! I "restore" as much as possible, usually wanting to do full restoration on everything that isn't original enough to leave alone.
    But then my ADD kicks in and I start customizing/hot rodding!

12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Tie coat is the thing to use, if the POR is already cured. The trick is to primer it while the POR is just tacked over, then the primer can be scuffed later, and painted.
    I did a 57 where the whole chassis and underside was painted in the same 2 colors as the outside. Used the silver POR as a primer, over a blasted chassis, and floorpan, then used regular basecoat paint, and instead of urethane clear, used the POR clear. After 2-3 years on the road (occasionally, not a daily driver) it still looked like new. Held up to road chips very well. It's a very tough paint.

1Nimrod likes this.
  13. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

I would leave it black myself. That black restored frame w/the bottom of the body in red oxide and the teal = HOT! I "restore" as much as possible, usually wanting to do full restoration on everything that isn't original enough to leave alone.
    But then my ADD kicks in and I start customizing/hot rodding!

I kind of like that idea blackmaria would be a nice contrast which was what i was thinking by painting the frame the teal color. i dont see a lot of cars done that way.
    i think i seen a car in rod & custom done that way, have to look now.

14. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

I kind of like that idea blackmaria would be a nice contrast which was what i was thinking by painting the frame the teal color. i dont see a lot of cars done that way.
    i think i seen a car in rod & custom done that way, have to look now.[/QUOTE]

15. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Yes I have and it worked very well!!
    But I would just leave it black!

16. luapsed

luapsed
    from Fords, NJ

I've used Dp40 over the por15 after it was tacky. Once dry it was easily sanded and painted with a black 2k Urethane. I never had any delamination over the years. just my 2 cents worth.

1Nimrod likes this.