Register now to get rid of these ads!

Impala gasser - Too rough to build??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by impalamike, Jun 10, 2012.

1. impalamike

impalamike
    from Texas

I wanted to get your guys opinion if I should pass on buying it. Also, what you guys thought would be a reasonable price. The car was reportedly built in 1965, but never finished or raced and then stored for 40+ years. And yeah I would drive it on the street! After I add front brakes.

I built a car from the ground up (by coincidence another '60 Impala) about 9 years ago and it seemed like a bottomless money pit. Thanks, Mike

By the way: The car comes WITHOUT the drivetrain (348/T-10 4-Spd), but I have a fresh '65 409 stroker (476ci.) with Edelbrock aluminum heads and a Mickey/Thompson crossram at my buddy's place.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. impalamike

impalamike
    from Texas

More photos....

Attached Files:

3. If you have the patience,I say hell yes. I would roll that!
    One Vote=Yes:)

4. southern thunder

southern thunder

anything can be built if you want it bad enough, I say go for it if its what you want to build. only person you have to please is you. don't know enough about them to give a $ on it.

5. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

That car obviously has some history.
    It's never going to be a concours show-car... it's a race car. That should take a lot of the pressure off.
    You don't need an interior (or much of one), you don't need mile-deep paint, or the body work that goes along with it.
    The tail light treatment looks like filler was applied as though the builder was frosting a cake... so why undo it?
    There's also some really nice parts there... Even if that's a 348, the intake, carbs, timing cover and that front-mounted mag are sweet pieces.
    Money pit? Probably.
    Bottomless? No.
    Dollar-to-fun ratio? Pretty damn high.

-Brad

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

He's not getting the engine/trans so not much of value..X frame not much for torsional rigidity..

7. ssimpala

ssimpala

I don't know. I love those old cars, but wow, that will take a lot of money and effort to make nice...and I'd want it nice. Good luck deciding.

8. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

9. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i say build it and drive the crap out of it......dont know whats it worth,,,,its just a 60 chevy 2 dr with no motor or trans,,unless it has some published history ,its just a 60 chevy 2dr with no motor or trans....if the front end was done right that will save you some time and money....

10. Piewagn

Piewagn

11. Larry T

Larry T

I would think the car should be pretty cheap without the drivetrain. The engine looks like the best part of the car in the pictures.

12. impalamike

impalamike
    from Texas

Any price figures strike you guys?

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

14. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to be very honest with yourself about your skill level and ability to fund this project. This car is going to need rockers, lower doorjambs, floorboards etc just to get it structurely sound and get the doors to open and shut in the hole properly.

And, it is going to need lots of panel replacement of panels that aren't readily available, so you will have to source junkyard 1/4s or fab your own. Also, the frame and suspension is not too promising...

This car is kind of a piece of shit, but that wouldn't scare me at all, I have drug home WAY worse, the question is does it scare YOU??

I like it, if the price is right and you think you can do it ,I say go for it.

Good luck, -Abone.

15. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

That could be a really bitchin ride.. I've never seen a gasser done in that body style.

With out the drive train I would suspect sub $1000.00 range as this thing looks pretty rough and bare bones.

16. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

The car was NEVER completed or Raced so it doesn't have a history. Looks like a money pit with no motor, tranny or floor.

17. I'd say go for it !!!...up front it's a BIG money pit, but you sound ambitious to me, and, that's half the battle !!!....If it were mine, however, it would become a parts/donor car.

18. henry29

henry29

What is there doesn't look to bad, looks like the inner rockers are pretty solid.
    If you can weld than get it and build it.

19. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

Go for it ! Google some images for inspiration if thats what it takes . I love those cars personally .

20. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

How much is he asking? You sure that it was never finished? Or did the guy just put an oily motor in it? Looks like a car that was run and then was in the stages of being restored??? hmmm? Any way looks like a good project. If you buy it document the build I will subscribe for sure.:)
    J

21. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

What rear end is in there?
    J

22. impalamike

impalamike
    from Texas

How much is he asking? You sure that it was never finished? Or did the guy just put an oily motor in it? Looks like a car that was run and then was in the stages of being restored??? hmmm? Any way looks like a good project. If you buy it document the build I will subscribe for sure

Not sure

What rear end is in there?

Don't know

I was going to put a 409 with a crossram or maybe Hilborn Injection http://hilborninjection.com/product.asp?Id=446&CatId=255, but I don't know if they will fit with the engine set back.

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------
    I called the guy yesterday afternoon (Saturday). He said he was with family and would call me tomorrow (today-Sunday) afternoon and give me the whole history. I'll post what he says and I'll ask him to email me period photos.

23. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

I was giving this thing a look on ebay yesterday and wondering if it was worth building. He said he would sell it without drivetrain so that must have happened since then. It looks plenty rough but you wouldnt see another like it. I used to jump right into the roughest stuff but this thing would take serious dedication to finish.

24. mugurpe

mugurpe

if you just want a cool '60 impala, I suspect something more complete in better condition can be had for less than what it would take to make up the difference with this. However, if the mods that are already done to this are exactly what you're looking for then figure if you get this you saved yourself the time it would take to make a different '60 impala look like this.

On the plus side, it's a hard-top.

I think the $1000 suggestion is a good place to start. But I think the real thing to think about is what are your goals for it, and would a different car be a cheaper way to achieve those goals.

25. I Drag

I Drag

The good thing about this (if there is a good thing about this) is that no matter what you do to this car it will be an improvement. No worries about modifying a nice original. Whatever you do will be an epic save. Seriously.

Start with a low offer; nobody else is going to be interested in it. If you dont save it, no one will.

26. impalamike

impalamike
    from Texas

I had what I thought was a cool '60 Impala (see photo), but then I got a '63 Impala SS (to drop my 409 into) - see avatar. Maybe I'm pining for another '60. I love gassers and '60s drag cars and have never had one and had never seen an Impala gasser. Probably because they're so big. It made more sense to race a '55 Chevy, Nova or other smaller car.

Attached Files:

27. Zeke

Zeke

$1000? Seriously. Hell my POS 60 must be worth a lot more than I thought:confused:

28. outlaw256

outlaw256

i like gassers and i like 60 impalas. if you can do the work and have some bucks to throw at it., and its gonna take a handfull of bucks , go for it. but around here it would be in the area of 500.00-800.00 and no more. good luck. ken

29. lorodz

lorodz

do it ,,,,,,awsome ride man

30. If your just planning on building a scary bare bones drag racer you might have a nice start. if you want to street it, I would even think twice..