Register now to get rid of these ads!

History welding equipment from the past

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnsont963, May 29, 2012.

1. nice ! it even mobile!

2. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

No pics, but I bought an old stick welder at a garage sale for $75 about 25 years ago......Came out of the Winchester Gun factory, has a tag on it....still use it to this day

3. Cool!

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I bought a "Cobra-Matic" 200 amp mig welder from a customer in 1978. Cobra-Matic was known for their 'outrigger' spools for wire welders, but they had Airco make them some welders to diversify their biz.

Great machine, I have a Tweco setup on it.

5. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

My Airco 300 Heli-Arc. Probably 70-71. I think the copper coil weighs more than my coupe body.
    [​IMG]

Mark Hinds likes this.
  6. very nice!!!!!

7. oj

oj

You'd best grab that thing, arguable that is the best tig machine ever made, it is the one that set the standards for which all the other machines are compared against.
    I'd be tempted to buy it in case i ever need spare parts.

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This is my Dynamic "Super Charged" Welder, I bought it as a novelty for 20 bucks. It is 110 volt and still works! I would guess it is from the 30's. In the center shot you can see my Miller Gold Star in the background, OJ is right it is one hell of a welder. I also use a Lincoln Tig 300/300 as well, I bought it before the "Disco Era".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  9. CFM

CFM
    from Santa Rosa

saved this one from the scrap. I havent tried to use it yet.

[​IMG]

10. Here is my old Craftsman......my dad bought it new right after WW2. Thing weighs about 300lbs and still works great. I need to restore it one of these days.....

[​IMG]

11. Sweats

Sweats

Heres a cool one over at a buddys place.

Attached Files:

12. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Is that a Marquette? I assume that's a battery charger sitting on top? My gramps' old Forney, like the one Poltax pictured, had a battery charger attachment like that, just plugged into the welder. I learned on that old Forney when I was 10, he said anything on the scrap pile was fair game- got in trouble when I made a stick woman with a couple big old REO truck belt pulleys for boobs, and my gramma saw it :mad:
    Hey, I was trying to copy the parts-store calendar on the wall :p

13. silversink

silversink

I tried to give this one away for 4 years, the other day I put a price tag on it(200.00) and the first guy bought it. He has an old gas station for a shop and he is going to use it for station display.

14. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I built my '51 using my Grandfather's old Forney plug-In Arc Welder that was very similar to this one. It worked quite well. I even used the old carbon electrode torch for brazing. Crude as hell, but effective.

[​IMG]

15. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

Here's my lincoln IdealArc 250.... used with a TIG setup mostly :D

Attached Files:

16. Sweats

Sweats

Yes its way bitchin, and with the electrodes on the front in the shape of an M makes it that much cooler. Just a very small peek and the really neat stuff over there.

17. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have an old Montgomery Ward ac welder that an uncle gave me 30 years
    ago. It still welds good. He had it a very long time also.

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

What no hip roof Lincolns?

[​IMG]
    I think that every hotrodder had one of these in the late 60s. They were 99.95 back then. The old ones have a stamped steel dial for selecting the amps. The new ones have a nylon selector. I wish I had a picture of the welder that I used in the 70s a huge commercial power supply with a remote pull around wire feeder. This was when it was unusual to have a mig welder in a home shop. Trouble is it used .045 wire...way too heavy for sheet metal but worked well for frames.

I helped a buddy install an exhaust system using an old 1940s? welder expecting a real PITA using a stick machine. What a pleasant surprise. It worked like a charm.

Mark Hinds likes this.
  19. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

weldingweb.com has a pretty cool thread on vintage/antique welders, I don't know how to do the link thing but hopefully somebody else can post it...

20. used to have a hip-roof lincoln!

21. spooler41

spooler41

I've got 2 old DanMig 200 welders, I think they are 70's models. They came from a Ford
    dealer after a body shop remodel. They bought all new equipment, and dumped all the old stuff. I've been using one for more than 6 years and it still will do all I ask of it. the other one ,some one cut the power cord off of it,its a spare for parts. I've also got my 20 year old Hobart 120,that I use for the light stuff, it still works like new too.

.............Jack

22. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Those are some nice pictures of great looking machines, but that picture of the Marquette with the wooden prop and grill leaning near by is especially interesting. Move the late model steering wheel aside, keep the soft focus, and it would be kind of a motor head still life. The unicycle can stay

23. amitygravel

amitygravel

Here's a Mid States I picked up from a Craigs list ad.
    Thing is heavy as all hell. Just about gutted myself getting it in the truck.
    Must weigh twice as much as the Forney I have.

Attached Files:

24. playin' hookie

playin' hookie

I have this old girl, Marquette Mustang works really smooth and has a nice little roller cart under it that helps! Not sure what it's worth out there but may part with this one as I don't use it enough and it's a shame she just sits there looking at me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. daliant

daliant

Here's my Trindl stick welder, probably from the 50's
    100_0241.jpg

26. great welders keep em coming!!!

27. Here's my P&H 180 amp, probably from the 50's.
    It's pretty small but weighs about 175 lbs and has a lifting eye on top.

Old guy I know was tossing it. I had to replace the cooling fan motor.
    Handwritten instructions say "Caution do not turn dial lower than 20"

Previous owner said he never went below 20 and I haven't either.
    Works awesome.

[​IMG]

Pretty cool decal on it from when it was new.
    Phone# EAST-1751
    [​IMG]

28. Heres 2 more for the RED TEAM, TR

Attached Files:

29. Imagine if this baby could talk....................

Attached Files:

30. thats sweet thanks for posting!!!