Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Spending time with my Dad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostn51, Jun 8, 2012.

1. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Due to some health issues I had last year I have not had the chance at posting or looking around our forum in a while. So it is nice to be back and actually active again. I found out that I have a super rare auto immune disorder that only 500 cases or so exist on the planet. Needless to say I am lucky to be alive right now but that is a whole nuther story........

My dad has always been into cars and thanks to him I caught the bug early in life. I have always love the modified cars and him the originals. He has a 1000 point '51 Ford Woody and a few other shoebox Fords that are really nice originals. I have hot rods and I love the traditional rods and customs.

Now that I am able to move around and do something I decided to pull my '51 Ford in the garage and chop the top. This is the last part of my car that has never been altered in some way. I have kept the build date of the car around 1957 so it has lots of tradition going on. Well this is where my Dad comes in...... When I was younger I always helped him in the garage working on his cars, this time he is helping me work on mine. Since we are starting on my car I have noticed that he is not as mobile as he used to be and he has gotten frail in his old age but he still has the passion. Everyday he calls to see if we are working on the car and what he needs to bring over if anything. This is the first top he has cut and he is having a ball. I have made up my mind that we are going to go through the whole car so we will be changing a few things and improving the car as we go.

This is going to be a build I will document here so everyone can see, but for me it is a special time that I can spend with my Dad and know that I will always have a part of him with me every time I get into my car and take off for a show. Plus since we have started this project he now hops on the HAMB to see all of the neat things that you guys are doing. Thanks to you all I think he has the bug!!!!!:D:D:D:D

But here are a couple of photos to show you what I am starting off with.....

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Love that color. Good luck with the mods.

3. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

This is a great read. Both you and your dad are lucky to have this time together. Keep us posted on the progress of your "do it together" project.

4. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I will post some more progress photos of the build tomorrow some with my Dad doing what he does best. Its about time to tack the back glass in so that should be a fun day tomorrow!

Billy

5. what a beautiful car to start with, looking forward to seeing this chop...

6. outlaw256

outlaw256

i love the shoeboxes when they get a haircut as long as it doesnt go over board. good luch with the chop. and enjoy the time with your dad and take plenty pics of him workin on the car. in time you will be so glad you did. the car will become secondary very quick. time with dad will be the reason.my dad has been gone for 25 yrs and today i miss him more than the day he died.every thing i do i want for him to see what his son has done now.i quess im still lookin for approval even after all these yrs.

7. RodStRace

RodStRace

Treasure these times. As shown on the Father's Day thread, a lot of us are where we are because of our dads. I lost mine a couple years back and still miss him.

8. daddio211

daddio211

Glad you're doing better man. Enjoy your time with your dad. I lost mine six months ago and miss him every moment.

I can't believe you're going to cut up that gorgeous car! Fire up the sawzall!

9. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

glad your doing better!
    i almost died 3yrs ago from stupidity {not paying attention to health warning signs} so i spend a crap load of time with my kids,sometime i wish my kids could have met my dad,he was killed 8-9 months after my oldest son was born,but they got to spend time with my grandpa before he passed {2yrs ago}& got to see the passion for old cars,
    so i'm looking forward to seeing your build! GOTTA LOVE FATHER & SONS or daughter builds!:):)

10. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

I miss my Dad every day. Enjoy the build with yours! These memories will last you a lifetime!

11. FEDER

FEDER

Jees Your car has alot of the same stuff My shoebox had. So Yours will look alot like this when done. My Son helped Me with the chop on this one. Its time together You will always remember. My 51 went to My older Brother in Fresno,so it stayed in the Family.
    Good luck and have fun. If You search thanksgivings day chop You can find the post I did on chopping My 51. FEDER

Attached Files:

12. That is a helluva starting point. Takes some stones to cut up something that nice... go for it :D

13. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

WOW you are right we almost have the same car!! My chop should look a lot like yours, I am copying the chop that R&C did in their magazine a few years ago. I am going out there to take a few pics of the progress so far but we are down to tossing the back window in and then we can finish up the doors.

But you all are right the car is really secondary to the fact of spending time with pops.

Billy