Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 ford frame swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greaserpunk71, Jun 7, 2012.

1. greaserpunk71

greaserpunk71

I just recently came across a '50 Ford 2dr for sale that was sitting on an S10 frame. I was just wondering if anyone has done this or knows anyone that has. And if so, is it wide enough, long enough, which years and models work(standard cab, Blazer, etc...) Most of the swaps I've seen have been mid '70's Camaro front subframe. Thanks in advance! Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

2. I read a lot where guys start them but haven't seen one actually finished. From what I see the steering box should run right into the Rad. and core support being it's out on the frame horn. My 51 is a Nova clip with steering box behind the axle centerline. Works grate. Not a full frame swap and I have never understood why anyone would go through all that work when a simple Graph at the firewall is so easy. I guess we all have our own way at looking at a project. Good luck to ya.
    The Wizzard

3. xxzzy999

xxzzy999

---------------

Mentioning S10 frame swaps on HAMB draws a lot of negative comments... doesn't fit the "traditional" theme (pre-'64 cars/parts/methods... etc.).

There are a lot of guys on this forum who have used S10s for clips and frame swaps, but they won't talk about it much.

That being said, S10 clips and frame swaps are fairly common for Shoeboxes, and most folks who have done them are happy with the results.

You need to stick with a 2WD S10 truck chassis. The 4WD versions have a wider wheel base and Blazers sit higher than the 2WD truck chassis. The S10 longbed is the closest to the Shoebox in wheelbase... S10 = 117.9" and the Shoebox is 114".

The tracking width is very close... 56" for the Ford and 54.5" for the S10... only off .75" on each side.

You can find a lot more information on HAMB by using the search function.

Good Luck!
    X

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  4. koolkemp

koolkemp

I am gonna slap one together cause I got a free roller chassis and the rustiest shoebox I have seen, most guys just use the s10 clip on their frame if its solid. If I had a good original frame I would just clip it...

5. krooser

krooser

So many projects get abandoned when someone with limited skills and resources gets in over their head with an "easy' frame swap. I think these S-10 deals are one of these...

I have seen a few S-10 front stub grafts on Ford Shoeboxes and they actually work fairly well... lots less aggravation in making the floor fit. The easiest deal is just leaving the stock frame in place and working from there... add disc brakes if you wish. But the stock suspension is OK with me....

6. wingnuts

wingnuts
    from Ephrata Pa

I do not understand the big deal of a s-10 frame, if i remember they were ball joint, idler arm eating hogs and the ride was not that great. What is wrong with the stock suspension? You can buy lowering spindles and other parts for these cars.i lowered my 50 without the s-10 frame

7. toddwith2ds

toddwith2ds
    from AZ

s10 frames are good donors if your stock frame is either missing or junk. I am in the middle of a s10 swap right now and wish that I would have looked around a little harder for a stock frame for sale. A lot of the time you can find one for cheap after someone takes it out to do an s10 swap...

8. toddwith2ds

toddwith2ds
    from AZ

That said, if the car is solid and the price is right go for it.

9. All_6s_and_7s

All_6s_and_7s
    from Canada

there is a you tube video where a guy puts together a shoe with an s10 front clip. I think is was a "shoebox in 3 month for 3 grand" or similar title

10. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

11. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Now that I've thrown a ton of money and time into it, the stock front end rides, drives, aligns, and steers great.

I can understand why an s10 swap is appealing.

If you're looking for info on that swap, there are a lot of rat rod type sites that used to have a lot of posts on them.

12. xxzzy999

xxzzy999

-------------------------

That's an interesting video. I'm pretty sure it was a swap vs. a clip.

The guy posted on HAMB a few times... but was run off by the S10 haters.

Regards,
    X

13. CONS:
    not traditional (it's got fenders, who cares)
    steering box / radiator conflict (fab work required)

PROS:
    modern brakes and better driveablitiy (no brainer)
    easy to find parts and upgrades (Blazer sway bar for one)

My opinion:
    If you can get it driving, good on you. Another oldie saved.

One came to the shop yesterday.
    Totally homebuilt and painted! It's really nice.
    Bad ass 327.

OH WAIT! it's got a 4-3/4 bolt pattern....
    The traditional police will spot that right away.

[​IMG]

14. "Quote"
    OH WAIT! it's got a 4-3/4 bolt pattern....
    The traditional police will spot that right away.

May seem strange but as a young Gun growing up (Long F---ing time ago) as I remember it we used the Newest shit we could afford to keep the Old Shit we owned on the road. We just hoped it would also make them faster. In my book S-10 or anything else under Old Tin is tradition as long as you can drive it when your done. However I have never understood Hack Work. A very contraversial subject isn't it?
    The Wizzard

15. greaserpunk71

greaserpunk71

Thank you everyone for the info. I am just trying to gather as much as I can before I do anything. The car I bought had a 460 Ford in it, and to do it, they cut a bunch out of the front cross member to make a place for the oil pan. I think the plan was to flip it over and weld it back in. I have already pulled and sold the 460. Don't really know what engine I'm going to put in it. I have a lot to do to this car before I need to worry about that. I had thought about Camaro or a Nova swap and going small block Chev, or tracking down a flathead.... Or in true hot rod fashion, the biggest baddest engine I could stuff in there... Caddie? Ha ha! Again, just gathering info at this point. Anyone know of any good Ford frame/clip swaps so I could run 302/351?

16. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

If you read most of the the s-10 swaps....it is good for some and then not good for others, guess it depends on how many posts you have.

Grommet

17. wingnuts

wingnuts
    from Ephrata Pa

My 2 cents would be to try to find a good frame for the car, then find a olds rocket motor, stuff that under the hood, that be kool ! That would be traditional ! Put a rocket in your pocket! A ford shoe is kool ! Again that is my 2 cents

18. Any small block Ford motor with a mid sump oil pan should work on the S-10 frame. What all was done to your floor pan to get it on the S-10 frame? Are you happy with the work that's been done so far?
    The Wizzard

19. greaserpunk71

greaserpunk71

@ Pist-n-Broke: I still have the original frame. They cut up the cross member and started to modify the floor and trans tunnel to get the 460/C-6 in there. I figured with the cross member all cut up like that, this would be the perfect candidate for a sub frame swap. But then saw that '50 on an S-10 frame for sale on Craigslist and wondered if that would be easier, better, etc. They were planning on baggin' it too. I guess the availability of parts on a project like that would be one advantage. I just want mine low. I like the idea of modern brakes and suspension. I figure I'm gonna have to do something due to that cross member. We'll call it "safety". Ha ha.

20. My 51 had issues as well. That's why I did the Nova. I think it was a good choice at the time. Still do. If I can be of any help I'm just north of P.D.X. a bit.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

21. sideweeler

sideweeler
    from searcy AR

I'm like you, i wanted the modern suspension, brakes, ect, so I got a mustang II front clip from engineered hot rods in AZ, the traditional guys probably won't like it, but I'm happy with it, and I'm not building a "traditional" custom by any stretch of the term.[​IMG]

22. greaserpunk71

greaserpunk71

@Sidewheeler: I would love to do Mustang II, but for me it's not affordable. I guess in one sense I am keeping it old school that way by doing it as cheaply as possible. Ha ha!
    Gotta have some money left over to take my girl out in it after it's done. :)

23. I've done Custom Chassis work most of my working life. My take on M-2 is like Small block Chevy's. They can be put on and in anything and have been but are seldom the best choice. Number 1 reason is "everyone else is doing it" Number 2 reason "I can buy a Kit" . I guess that works for some, just not me.
    The Wizzard

24. greaserpunk71

greaserpunk71

@ Pist-n-broke: I agree with you on the "everyone else is doing it".
    But devil's advocate on the kit part:

Pro's: All the pieces in one "kit"
    Someone else figured it out. Trial and error on someone else's part.

Con's: See above! "everyone's doing it"

But in defense of M-2, Tubular control arms, rack and pinion steering? Not a bad way to go. Just depends on what you are looking to do.

A friend had a '68 Mustang with M-2 installed. Handled like a race car.

25. greaserpunk71

greaserpunk71

And as far a small block Chevy's go: What's wrong with em? LOL They've been used in almost every form of racing. Put in everything from motorcycles to tractors. Jeeps and 4x4's of all sort. From 280z's to Jag's. Even the military used 'em. Chevy used them in one configuration or another for at least 50 years. (Maybe longer, I quit paying attention to new cars after about 2000.) Ha ha! I have always liked the SBC, probably always will.

26. sideweeler

sideweeler
    from searcy AR

it was definitely pricey, so I'm trying to save as much money as i can in other areas to compensate for it. i did it for reliability, if "everyones doing it", its probably because it works, I've had a couple s-10s, and i have to say they have the worst ball joints of all ball joints, I've lost count of how many I've replaced. and I'll never own another s-10 only for that reason.

27. greaserpunk71

greaserpunk71

@ Sideweeler: I hope I didn't offend you. I like the idea of M-2, but not the price. But I also like being different. ;-). I also don't want one of those cars that you see at all the rod shows. You know the ones that get trailer-ed in.

28. sideweeler

sideweeler
    from searcy AR

no, not at all, like i said, i just wanted the reliability, because i want to drive my car as much as i can

29. Just so ya know. That little Green Ford of mine has a S.B.C. under the hood along with it's Nova front legs. I wanted to be able to drive it anywhere I choose and also be able to get back home from said place. I just leave the hood closed most of the time.
    The Wizzard

30. greaserpunk71

greaserpunk71

Ha ha ha! I know what ya mean. SBC is kinda bread and butter. But dang it they're reliable. And they don't look too bad. It's too bad ya can't get the same kind of performance and reliability out of a flat head at around the same price.