Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need some input! Ugly heater hoses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldfart36, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Been working on the engine area of my 29. Would really like to see some pics and suggestions on what you all have done in regard to heater hoses on your open engine cars. Seems like the heater hoses are unhidable and just plain ugly!! Input please.

2. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

you could always bend some metal tubing with short pieces of hose on the ends and polish or powder coat the tubing. or even some polished copper tubing.

3. Local shop owner had some fittings made up that used 3/8 hose for the heat hose. The hoses are easier to route because they are so much smaller. Using to aftermarket a/c units the heater cores are small. He has had very good results .

4. Galvanized pipe????:confused:

5. We're not building a fence here:eek::D:eek:

6. This is interesting. any pics by chance?

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

On my Shoebox, I wrapped all the hoses and vacuum lines in black cloth tape and used stainless clamps.
    [​IMG]

BTW...this is an early pic. It now has the stainless clamps.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
    fordsbyjay likes this.

8. Just trying to help.:p

Could just run sans hoses during the summer months and put them on come winter if need be. I've given some thought to that for my truck.

9. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Here's an idea.

Attached Files:

10. I like it...;)

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

As long as the hoses are run neatly they are not a visual problem. Necessity is necessity.

12. oj

oj

If it helps Dayco offers heater hoses that have a 90deg bend on one end, like Dayco# 80407 is a 5/8hose X 60" with a formed 90deg bend.
    Google dayco and have a looksee.

13. Rochie

Rochie

Here's what i used for my 29 roadster. The copper tube works easy. The hoses are molded hoses form something that I bought in a swap meet and cut to fit.

Attached Files:

14. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Move further south. Problem solved! :D

15. outlaw256

outlaw256

i dont have pics of it because my buddy no longer has the car but he run his heater hose thru chrome shower rods. sounds ratr-- but it really looked good and he bent it to fit.

16. spot

spot
    from usa

I dont have pics but I just did a truck for a customer and used 5/8 aluminum fuel line for the long runs and just connected it at each end with short pieces of regular 5/8 heater hose and hose clamps. The fuel line is easy to form in curves and is smaller in overall diameter so it fits in tight spaces well.

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If you are building an old time hotrod just run them as neatly as possible using period hardware. Real hotrods have the necessary parts run cleanly. If you are building a streetrod then I have no clue what is the "hot setup"

18. I don`t mind heater hoses,they don`t look offensive. I don`t like accordion rad hoses,Just me I guess.

19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heater hoses are ugly? What's next - fan belts????

20. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Instead of belts we like to run "barb wire".... opps. wrong site:D

21. Hard line will always look the best no matter what is running thru it.
    Short rubber connector and that's that.

22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

i don't mind "accordion" rad. hoses because I predate them. Back to the time when a roadside garage/service station couldn't afford to carry enough hose inventory to cover replacements from stock.
    Then you gotta call a parts house(s) till you find the hose, either go get it or wait for delivery, whether it be 2 blocks or 20 miles!
    In addition, in the 40's and 50's oval racing scene, they were a salvation because of their ability to contain heat and pressure that burst many a straight or molded hose.
    If you wanta hide radiator or heater hose, but remain functional, you might be tempted towards those new, braided or corrugated, shiny things that try to fake out that they are true braided ss aircraft type hose like NASCAR cup cars.
    In a word: DON'T!!!!! Friend bought a "completed" car with those things on it. In a group job to change the intake or some such, another friend narrowly escaped scalding water when one popped off somehow. Can't say just how, wasn't there, just know the credibilty of those invloved is good.
    The true NASCAR stuff is functionally the best, but hardly "Traditional"!
    Dave

23. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

no-no it's old chain! damn kids!:D

24. :D
    Yeah man, those hose's are pure ugly! I'd get rid of that sorry ass sedan and get a real hot rod :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  25. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Routed neatly to the frame rail, then plumbed up through the toe-board and behind the passenger kick panel. Keeps the firewall, underhood space, and interior uncluttered but is still easily serviceable.

26. yup ...heater hoses are ugly. look at this snake pit and not much can be done about it.

Attached Files:

27. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

:confused: WTF is a heater hose??

28. Run two parallel hard lines along the intake side of the valve cover. Down in front as needed, and up in the back as needed. Fab a simple bracket of of a couple intake bolts. paint them engine color and they will blend right in or black and they will look neat, mechanical, and purposefully placed. Verses a home dopot garden center explosion.

The loop in the fire walls, two 90* rubber fittings and a tube between them.

That engine & compartment look too nice for that sort of foolishness.

29. brutal isn't it.lol

30. Some good ideas and some great comedians. I apprieciate both, I geniunly do. I best get busy!!;)