Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leaky intake/carb gasket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gromit, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Gromit

Gromit

I replaced the gaskets on the intake spacer and carb on an old 350 and it still seems to be leaking. The parts are all new, intake, spacer and carb.. I am seriously questioning and considering a double gasket.. anyone ever done this? Edelbrock performer manifold, Holley 650 carb

2. squirrel

squirrel

If it's the one that also works with spread bore carbs, then it probably has an area where the spacer doesn't quite cover the carb opening in the intake, and you need a different spacer or a plate to fix it.

Double gaskets generally don't solve any problems, they just make it worse

3. X2 on the squirrl!

Also check the base of the carb with a straight edge. Too many times people tend to reef down on the carb to manifold mounting bolts thinking their carb is going to fall off or something. Anything more than in/lbs. will distort the carb base causing a poor seal that gaskets won't fix.

4. Keep

Keep

Thats the first thing I would check. Its real easy to warp a carb base plate. Especially if you ran a carb "isolator" you know those wooden "Keep the carb cool" spacers. POS those things are.

5. squirrel

squirrel

He says it's a new carb....

6. those spread bore to square bore adapters are leakers.What type spacer are you using.is it all square bore.

7. fordor41

fordor41

Had a simular situation with my SBF. Found I had the carb spacer up side down. Bottom has hollowed out areas that were suspost to be against the manifold.

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

"New" only means shiney....Check for a str8 carb base, AND manifold surface.

4TTRUK