Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheels clash? Should they stay or should they go?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Byron Crump, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I put this on my blog but I think I will get my best insight and beating here:

Well, I was thinking of selling my cars but it appears the deal fell through. Since it seems they are ment to stay with me I think some changes are needed on the purple car.

I think my car is conflicted.

[​IMG]

It has a 327 with 6x2's, plum crazy purple paint (that many people HATE and seem the need to tell me and good friends have admitted to me when I pressed them), and an interior that is copied after the McMullin roadster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It also has real Lincoln tail lights, a cyclops fog light, bys ply tires and caps.

[​IMG]

Some of it screams 60's, the rest is 50's.

My buddy and I think the car looks like too much of a mismatch.

My other bud thinks it is fine just like it is.

I really think the car needs different wheels...big and littles for sure.

I have Radirs with radials on my coupe...and yes I know many of you freaking hate radials and are very vocal about it....but I like them on that car. That being said...

[​IMG]

...several years after I built my car another five window hit the scene in California that is very similar to mine and has gotten a lot more press. I keep having people mistake my car for it.

One suggestion that has come up on this is a simple swap...take the wheels off the coupe and put them on the roadster and put the roadster wheels on the coupe. The person that suggested this was motivated by making my car "different" from the other gold coupe.

I don't think the caps would work on the gold car at the moment, esp. with the modern motor etc. (I will come back to this in a moment)

One thought was to ditch the white walls and put black walls on the roadster. I have long been in love with the Team III ET Classic V Wheels.

Those wheels stop me every time I see them. I could see that looking good on either car.

Maybe the leave the Radirs and whites on the coupe and do the ET's on the roadster?

Radirs and whites on the roadster, black walls and ET's on the coupe?

Another thing kicking around is fenders on the coupe, white running boards, and maybe then the caps would work on it, but that is a whole different ballgame.

Gasser style wheels on the roadster?

Another set or Radirs and whites on the roadster and leave the coupe alone?

I am really curious to hear what other think about the whole thing...I know I am a big boy and will have to make the decision but some different eyes and opinions could help.

I am open to suggestions...

2. I like the roadster the way it is. I am reminded of the Joe Nitti roadster.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Lose the purple paint.

4. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Not gonna happen on the paint...

5. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

It rocks the way it is! You friends are fags.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I think the roadster would be fine if you just lost the wide whites. It would tone the purple back just a bit and make the whole thing a bit more demure, and little less forward. When I first saw your car on this page and before I even read what you were up too, my brain said "it's trying too hard". Right now it's a little like a pretty woman with just a bit too much make up on. Scale it back just a bit and I'm sure the purple will look a bit more natual. Never understood wide whites on a hot rod anyway... That's custom stuff.

7. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

1. Black tires (bigger and littler)
    2. Black top
    3. Lose all the dodads

8. VonKool13

VonKool13

I agree. Purple paint rules. You seem pretty heavy on changing the wheels. I would buy another set of wheels and tires you like, that way you can completely change both cars at any time. Think about borrowing a set of wheels and tires you like from someone you know, that will give you a more clear thought on the whole thing.

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Paints fine ,never liked WWs on a hot rod. Polished MAG Halibrands with BWs big and little.

10. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

The hubcaps look odd to me on the roadster. The 5 window looks just fine radials and all...

11. I used to be a black walls on hot rods guy but it really depends on the hotrod. The Nitti car, Kookie T, Isky's T are all hot rods in my book.

12. I agree with 296. sometimes less is more.

13. Ebert

Ebert

Byron,

Since you asked...here you go:

1. I would KEEP the current wheel/tire combo....I like it alot
    2. Lose the car club plaque deal on the rear
    3. Lose the pinstriping on the rear deck (too much and not needed on such a great car!)
    4. Get rid of the 60's style switch knobs and go BASIC
    5. Lose the steering wheel and replace it with a 50's Ford Crestliner-type wheel...in white
    6. Lose that weird shift knob and even change the shifter to something traditional

Purple is not my favorite color, but I think if you tone it down with the changes above, it is FINE! Love the way you cut the top!

Good luck and you should be RESPECTED for having the balls to ask others' thoughts!

Best,
    E

14. The Roadster is just fuc%^&g cool I'd lose the friends before I would change the car!!!!

15. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

What colour are the wheels under the hub caps and beauty rings? I kinda think that there is just too much chrome going on there......pull the caps and rings off and take a photo.....it may not be pretty but will give you an instant idea of how a simpler style wheel may work. I'd also just swap the wheels between the roadster and coupe for shits and giggles to see how they look.......you could have it done in half an hour and it would put an end to some of the procrastination.

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Seems fine to me. If you need small changes - loose the doo dad on the rear bumper, get a clear lens for the fog lite (looks like a bad tooth ICW the purple) and a shifter knob that matches your dash trim. Then wax it and go for a ride. Gary

17. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

The wheels are chrome with merc caps...

18. A smaller diameter front tire will do wonders for your roadster! Needs more of a rake...Sweet ride! I'm diggin' your coupe as well! What's the bundled price on both? John :)

19. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

Black wall tires and a plainer wheel, I agree with just losing the caps to see what it looks like. I like the paint and interior, minus the shift knob it looks out of place to me.
    The coupe I like as is, a longer term project could be adding fenders if you felt up to it.
    All of this aside, it's your car, do what YOU want with it.

20. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Thanks for the input so far, I will do what I want but the pro and con stuff is helping me think about things...different perspectives and all ain't bad and I don't take the negative personal. Hell, I love the purple...many don't.

21. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

Black walls, black early wheels no caps.
    Let somebody go crazy with Von Dutch style pinstriping.

22. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I always loved that car...

23. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Have to agree here...

24. Love it just the way it is, Love the purple paint as well. I for one would be more than happy to have it sitting in my shed.

25. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

I gotta agree with the too much goin' on gang. Big and little blackwalls, loose the caps and just run the chromies on the roadster, as for the coupe Iv'e never liked WW on mags thats the only thing tho', just make sure you tell everyone that yours was first and the other one's a clone.

Scotty.

26. U-235

U-235

I would agree with Ebert except for the tires and wheels...If you look back to the late 50's when hot rods were wearing whitewalls, you'll se that most of them ran full wheel covers (probally with red rims). Try a simple hubcap (non-flipper) of your choice and see what you think. My personal favorite is the 55-56 Ford. They're cheap at the swap meets.

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Well, you did ask, which gave us license to give you our honest opinion, so here goes. I can't find a damn thing wrong with the car, I think it is gorgeous just as it sits.:) I tried to find something out of place and couldn't come up with anything.

Color is a very subjective thing, you could have gone safe and painted it black but then you would be like a lot of other 32 roadster highboys. Like it or not, purple WAS a popular color back then, that is why my 27 was that color for the first 20 years of it's life. But I finally got tired of it and wanted a change this time around.

You have a really sharp roadster that is done well, nicely finished, so be proud of it and tell your "friends" to paint and do THEIR cars the way THEY want and you will do the same with yours.:p

Don

28. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Purple is neat. Maybe 50 Merc wheels and flat Merc caps with big and little black walls. If the car is between the 50's and 60's how about Halibrand style slotted mags? (satin finish) Nice car just maybe a bit less "bling".