Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Drag pics from Mason Dixon Dragway Maryland

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eightydeuce, May 30, 2008.

1. Thanks! Im sure that 60 Pontiac is "the Arrapaho" Troy Tribby races the car now(re incarnated, with permission of the former owner). I hope its ok for me to copy and share these pics!!

2. badrepp

badrepp
    from emmaus, pa

Anyone have or direct me to pictures from Mason-Dixon in the late 60's to early 70's of a Lancer from Fairfax Chrysler - was told held track record for some time?
    Thanks

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  3. jeepers00creepers

jeepers00creepers

I'll have to see what I can find. I grew up just a couple miles away and now I live about a half mile behind the starting line. My uncles used to race there. They may have something. I'll check.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. TRod

TRod

Hey guys, I know this is a 1 in a million shot but I will throw it out there. I just bought in November a 1952 GMC Carryall and have been in the process of trying to get it road worthy. I bought it from a guy out near Gettysburg who purchased it from an farm auction in West Virginia. Regardless, after cleaning it out I found a plaque from Mason Dixon Drag O Way. No biggie but the more I looked at the burb I can see what used to be old stickers in the windows (at least one is Mason Dixon). I noticed that a hitch used to be on it. The front bumper have home made brackets and an eyelet. I now wonder if instead of being a farm truck if it wasn't a tow vehicle for a dragster? Looks like the doors has been sanded. Does anyone recognize it? I know it is slim but you never know. I know a couple of you guys were there back then.

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  5. 19LaidBack37

19LaidBack37

I'm glad to see this thread is still alive, and since I've got a new scanner its picture time!! Here we go then.

Mason Dixon Drag-o-way - Mid 60s
    [​IMG]

The 55 Chevy in those photos was driven by my grandfather, Harry George.
    Also in the photo you can see the Northwind Bubble Top Chevy.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. 19LaidBack37

19LaidBack37

Moving into the 1970s and 1980s my father and uncles began to race much more. The following photos are of their cars in that era.

My uncle Jerry George was running a 1932 Ford. Had a small block at first and then graduated to a big block later in the racing days.
    [​IMG]

The 32 Ford had got caught on fire in a building in Martinsburg, and he redid the entire car and after the burnout, it looked like this.
    [​IMG]

The car ran in the 11's mostly, however, when the big block came into the picture, it ran mid 10's.

7. 19LaidBack37

19LaidBack37

Around this same time, one of my other uncles, Billy George, was building a 1934 Chevy Coupe to race. It also ran a small block, and ran well into the 11's.
    [​IMG]

It can also be seen in the new couple of pictures.
    [​IMG]

8. 19LaidBack37

19LaidBack37

At this time, my father, Kenny George, was running a 1967 Nova with a small block. The car ran frequently in the 12's, however, he eventually got rid of it and built a 1940 Chevy Coupe.

Here is the nova, and a few time slips from the Nova.
    [​IMG]

9. 19LaidBack37

19LaidBack37

And also, my uncle Tommy George was racing a white Chevelle and a black 56 chevy. Both of which ran in the 13s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are also a few other unrecognized cars in those photos.

10. 19LaidBack37

19LaidBack37

Jumping ahead to the early 1990s, my father had built the 1940 Chevy Coupe. It also ran a small block at one time, but went to a big block and would run consistent high 10's.

First in primer, then in paint.

[​IMG]

Also, a few more photos of the 32 Ford.

[​IMG]

11. 19LaidBack37

19LaidBack37

And finally, in the early 1990's, my whole family was racing together again.

Billy still raced in the 34 Chevy-
    Tommy raced the 41 Chevy in the top left corner-
    Jerry raced the 32 Ford and 40 Ford in the top right corner-
    My father Kenny raced the 40 Chevy Coupe in the bottom left corner-
    And my Grandfather Harry George raced the 40 Chevy Sedan in the bottom right.

[​IMG]

The family won the All In the Family Award from the track in 1992, and raced until the mid 90s, when they all eventually got out of it. I race my 37 currently at Mason Dixon, and occasionally can get my father and uncles to go over and race a bit too. I also have a few more old photos I will try to put up soon.

12. 67coronet

67coronet

pic's of my dad's 56 hed ran over at mason dixon. when it was blue was the day he got it, had 327 4 speed. that was in 1983, and had real mickey thompson wheels on it. wish still had them. then painted black with 327 4 speed from 87-91, have pics somewhere with it painted red and white and had a 468 big block with auto, from 91-02, and here it is all red painted in 03 with a 355 sb auto trans, geting ready to change motor and trans to 468 big block with 4 speed. will add more pics when i get them

Attached Files:

13. Any one heard of Twiggy? BSA motorcycle, Hagon Special, nitro burner-motorcycle,late 1960's-70's!! Story go's many wins@ Mason-Dixon.. Looking for history-pictures-anything related-Thanks,BPK!! 603-298-5799

14. Can't help you with the BSA, but thanks for bringing this thread back up. Don't know how I missed it the first time around. Love the old photos.

15. 67coronet

67coronet

just got finished making some dvd's from mason Dixon and 75-80 dragway's from 60's and 70's. there are two dvd's. made off old 8mm film. I put music on them because there was no sound. if interested I can make you a copy of them for 10.00 plus ride. just pm me if interested with zip. and i'll make you one and ship it out.

16. Iceman7578

Iceman7578

Fantastic pics! I live right down the street from there and go a lot during the summer. Used to deliver ice there when I was younger. The owner let me take my GMC top kick I drove down the track after I made my delivery. Didn't even register a time. Ha!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. RompinRedskinJr

RompinRedskinJr
    from MD

My grandfather was the owner of the Rompin Redskin, driven by Ivan Jordan. It went by various names as the paint job changed. Many of the trophies, plaques and photographs, etc were stolen from a speed shop back in the day. I don't remember the full story as it was told to me years ago by my grandfather. I have a few pictures and 1 trophy left. I'll post them when I get a chance to scan them in. If anyone else comes across pictures of the Rompin Redskin or Black Horse Midnight I would love to see them.
    Thanks.

18. Thanks for bringing this thread back to the top. Hopefully someone will post some pics of your Grandfather's car.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  19. RompinRedskinJr

RompinRedskinJr
    from MD

It was a 62 Impala SS 409 Big Block, most famous under Rompin Redskin with a red metal flake paint job but also known as The Stripper with the stock light blue paint and Black Horse Midnight in all black.
    Thanks all.

20. Good luck, hope someone has some pics of it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  21. Daddy'sZill

Daddy'sZill
    from Virginia

Div1Racer the Picture of the white car you have coolvette the dodge in font of that is my grandfathers car and i was wandering if maybe you had any pictures of him and/or his car. id appreciate it if you could message me back

22. Daddy'sZill

Daddy'sZill
    from Virginia

His name is Gene Morgan with a gold 69 dodge super bee.

23. DYNO360

DYNO360

I certainly remember the "Rompin Redskin". Besides being a fast 409, what blew me away was the "show quality" burgundy red metalflake paint job. As good as it looked, I kept asking myself, "Who would completely paint a brand new Chevy Impala?" Don't know of anybody else who repainted a new car. It was beautiful!
    Was your grandad Hubert Buttry? That's who I thought owned the car. I too would love to see a picture of that car.

24. DYNO360

DYNO360

I have seen a picture of a Pontiac drag car named Rompin Redskin, but the '62 409 with that name was special to me, cause I saw it in person.

25. DYNO360

DYNO360

I remember the time "Dyno" Don Nicholson had a match race at Mason-Dixon. The rumor was the track was faster than other tracks 'cause it was shorter than a 1/4 mile. There was a oil down in one of the lanes, and Dyno amused the fans by measuring the track with a yard stick. Took a lot of time, but so did the clean up! Dyno was the man and so was his tuner, Earl Wade.

willys41 likes this.
  26. DYNO360

DYNO360

That's my white, '62 Chevy (3rd row down) making a time trial. At that time it had a 400 small block and a Turbo 350 trans. Later, I found an real '62 QB block and switched it over to a 4 speed. Best car I ever had.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  27. 69hurstsc

69hurstsc

Anyone have photos of the Wynham Motor Co car?

28. 427chevy

427chevy

I believe I'm the current owner of the Romping Redskin, I'm looking for photos of it, maybe you can help! Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. WOW! Very cool stuff! Amazing pictures, keep 'em coming guys!

30. oj

oj

There is a nostalgia Drag Race at Mason-Dixon this weekend the 25th. Always a good show with lots of gassers etc and this year Bobby Hilton and Tony Ross will have their FED Fuel Dragsters there for some serious passes.

Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.