Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 51 Pontiac Cheiftan... Shall I go Mild Custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TULSA, May 31, 2012.

1. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I just had my new 51 Pontiac Cheiftan delivered this morning by HAMB member racinman from Show Time Transportation.

I have been looking for a good candidate to be a mild custom. I Feel this car is not too far off, but I want the input of HAMBers. I was thinking about a flake and lace roof, but I kind of like the simple look it has.

It has 2" lowering blocks in the rear, but I think it could go alittle lower

As you can see in the pics there are some spots previous owner repaired a few bubbling paint spots. I am hoping a I can get it blended in well, as the paint is in good shape other than those spots.

So what do HAMBers think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the spots that need repair
    [​IMG]

2. 61TBird

61TBird

3. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

4. I like it a lot,...maybe a white pearl roof. I think that would look great with that blue.

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

Just lower it some more and roll!!

6. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Thats what I have been thinking since I got it, plus fix the paint spots.

It does need a headliner and carpet, but that shouldnt be too hard!

These ornaments have always been my favorite.
    [​IMG]

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

If you want to sink any money into it, work on the chrome!

Same caps I run on my 59 olds... also looks like the front waterfall on the hood is dinged, I have another one that might fit, it's in good shape.

8. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Yeah I agree, I have some money from the Chevelle sale I want to put into this car, I need to get quotes on re-chroming the painted over trim. Anyone local you can recommend? Ive heard about powdercoat chrome but have not seen it in person, worth a damn?

9. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Here is the motor,

[​IMG]

I thought these valve covers are cool, have not see any with Chevrolet on them, but thats not saying much.
    [​IMG]

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

Good luck finding one in Tulsa... And NO on the powdercoating!

Might be able to find a decent one in Dallas, but otherwise, I'd pm chromeplaterjosh on here, not the cheapest but the best looking work I've ever seen!!!

11. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

No good Chrome shops in our area? I am suprised... not many people wanting chrome these days I guess...

12. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Cool ride. We'll have to meet up some time, as I have just relocated to the Tulsa area. I tried the cruise in at Fudruckers, but it seemed mostly muscle cars and imports. Im sure there are more Hamb'rs in the area!

13. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I frequent the Fudruckers cruise, PM me next time you go, I should be going with the Pontiac next week.

14. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

I might make it a point to head up there than!

15. Fleetside

Fleetside

I agree, Pearl on top, touch up the Blue,get the chrome work done, a little lower, and some more vintage looking goodies under the hood. That is one sweet Poncho as it sit's now though. Congratulations.

16. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Thanks, That does sound like a good plan.

Stupid question, Where does the term Poncho come from?

17. Fleetside

Fleetside

I don't know I've just heard people call them that.

18. That's a nice looking car. I wouldn't do too much to it. Maybe just a little lowering like suggested above.

Tony

19. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

20. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Usually when someone goes custom on these, they get carried away shaving all the cool art-deco Pontiac trim and end up with something that most folks think is a Chevy. On the other hand, if you restore all the bright work and use some 60's style paint on it, I'm afraid the style is going to come off as being a little too mixed up.

For chrome, last I heard folks were liking Well's in Collinsville, but it's been some time since I've heard any feedback.

The car looks incredible as it sits. The paint color and chrome is the only thing keeping it from taking pictures like a super model. I think I would consider stepping back, addressing the warts and getting it slicked out really well with an early 50's paint scheme. Not a lot to improve as far as form on these.

21. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

What sorta 50s paint would you do? Its almost more of a tourquiose in person with cream roof. But I am open to ideas.

22. The chrome is all stainless other than the grill & bumpers & tail lamp surrounds....

Cool car, I have one as well, with a couple more doors tho...

23. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I took the Mrs and the Poncho downtown for a photoshoot... here are a few I took...

[​IMG]

Thanks to the photoshop thread, here it is lowered. I think this is perfect...

[​IMG]

24. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

I recognize the old building in the background of your first picture! Were you down there Saturday? We took the kids and tried out "Joe Mamma's" pizza for lunch!

25. These old "Iron Indians" are nice cars to mildly customize...I love the "Chief Pontiac hood ornament....back in the day you could always tell when a Poncho was coming toward you at night !!...as far as custom mods go,...go easy.....a little bit on these cars goes a long way.....you've got a great start by smoothing the bumpers.....keep the fore and aft "Silver Streaks" and the "Chief"....any color would look great....my opinion of that visor is questionable at best....I'm old enough to remember these cars as daily transportation, and very few if any at all had visors...they just look hokey.....but that's my .02.....maybe some chrome wheels ??...keep us posted !!!

26. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Yeah, we started just across the street from Joe Mammas at 2:00, we were at that location at about 3.

Joe Mammas is good, but if you want really good pizza, check out Andolini's on Cherry St... Its amazing

27. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Can anyone tell me if Carpet from a 50-54 Chevy would fit my Cheiftan?

28. Its probably close

29. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Close enough to spend $200 and hope it will fit?

30. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Custom

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app