Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anti slosh foam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Scott

Scott

I found a nice aluminum 20 gallon tank at the swap meet today. my intention is to use it as a fuel tank. Has anyone used anti slosh foam in their tank and can it be forced thru the filler neck? also how much foam per gallon and where to buy. Thanks AS ALWAYS
    [​IMG]

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

putting foam in there isnt a good idea, the foam isnt all that friendly with alcohol/methanol and will break down leaving you with a fuel system full of crap to remove.

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

^ Amen to that.

Just run it.

4. 117harv

117harv

I don't understand why you need to worry about sloshing? Here is another option, some dirt track guys use these...works good.

Attached Files:

5. garcoal

garcoal

why are you worried about a little sloshing of fuel

6. Hey, he's asking the questions .:)

Has anyone used anti slosh foam in their tank and can it be forced thru the filler neck? also how much foam per gallon and where to buy.

There are 4 of them

Has anyone used anti slosh foam in their tank ?

can it be forced thru the filler neck?

how much foam per gallon ?

where to buy?

Should I, would you, and why or why not aren't part if it.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Safety-Racing-Fuel-Cell-Safety-Foam,884.html

XXL__ likes this.
  7. deto

deto

Don't run the foam. You're better off without it. Not pump gas friendly

8. From the link you didn't see in the post you didn't read

Compatible with gasoline, E85, or alky fuels (not recommended for use with nitro-methane). This fuel cell safety foam keeps weight transfer/shift to a minimum, which provides you with more responsive and predictable handling. Can be cut and stacked as needed.

Sold in 14" x 4" x 6" sticks or 4" x 6" x 8" sticks - each

XXL__ likes this.
  9. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

"This fuel cell foam will deteriorate over time and you will want to run a very good fuel filter before the fuel pump with a replaceable element that can be taken apart and checked periodically to see if the foam has started to break down. When you see that the foam particles in the filter element you will want to remove the fuel cell and clean out the remaining foam and replace it with new."

10. Scott

Scott

I guess I should have asked if I really need it. Based on the responses , probably not. I thought it might be important since the tank has no baffling. thanks to everyone who replied so far.

11. deto

deto

So if someone asks "how much water to put in my fuel tank cuz my car runs hot" don't tell them not to. Just ask them how many gallons the tank holds?

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drive with a 20-gallon, un-baffled tank, daily, 32-gallons, un-baffled, regularly. Don't know too many factory cars or trucks that come with baffles.

You don't need it.

13. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Aluminum 12g tank in my Falcon no baffle, drive it everywhere, no problems. My Nova drag car had the foam in the fuel cell, it will detiorate, it has a life span. Like said, if you do use the foam, run a good filter before your fuel pump.

14. BISHOP

BISHOP

It will break down over time...(around 8 months). Its a mess.

15. I have an alum 20 gallon tank with foam.ok so far.I would leave your tank alone.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't think you would need the foam or any other substance inside the tank. I've probably cut 100 factory gas tanks out of cars and trucks in my life and have never seen a baffle in one yet. Every aftermarket tank I encountered did though.
    I'd think that with that shape of tank you will never notice anything sloshing around anyhow.

17. Scott

Scott

Thanks fellas, no foam

18. Willy301

Willy301

I would think the foam MIGHT be helpful in a large factory square tank, if you were racing the car. With that said, the fuel is concentrated to a fairly small cylinder where all roads lead to the exit. My guess is foam in unneccessary for your tank, be it racing or daily driven. If the outlet is on the end, set your tank up to be tipped that way, ever so slightly, so that funnel action would drain every bit of that precious liquid out of the tank.

19. None

and if someone asks how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich why offer grilled cheese or english muffins

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the thing, there is no way to clean out that tank, like a racing fuel cell. All of my race cars had a large plate, with the filler, vents, etc. on the top, which could be removed. Through that large hole, the foam could be checked, and replaced, if necessary.

You could put foam in there, but how own Earth would you get it out, in the event that it started to deteriorate?

21. TheDozer

TheDozer

Bingo

I've ran anti slosh foam in my race bikes (sport bikes- R1, CBR's, Ducati's etc) and its fantastic to prevent -fuel sloshing to one side of the tank. Why does it matter? Simple, when you're pitched over on a knee going 100+mph in a bend, smooth is the key to keep from falling off lol
    It also prevents a large fuel spill in the event of a off track excursion, not completely mind you, fuel still will seep out but not at a high rate like a champagne bottle.
    Yes, you can push into your filler neck. The foam is offered in multiple sizes of pre-cut cubes, from small to large.
    Also, the foam will stand up to some fairly potent race fuel, but not forever, or even close.
    How the foam works is; you stuff your tank full of the foam, FULL of foam, keep in mind if ya only have 1-2 foam cubes, fuel will still slosh around, it would be like putting a lil piece of napkin in a 44oz cup, pointless.
    Many of the concerns the guys have expressed are right on the money, you would have to switch out the foam time after time, and eventually the foam would break down into lil pieces and strangle fuel flow in prolonged use.
    Also, if ya have a in-tank fuel gauge sending unit, your gauge will be inaccurate all the time because the foam would prevent the float from moving.
    But the biggest issue would be getting it out, you would need a removable fuel tank "cap" to ease removal, easily done, if ya REALLY wanted to.

Would I run it? No, there are no gains to be had from it and more work/service would be needed and more money needed to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. silversink

silversink

No wonder you have so many posts

23. echnidna

echnidna
    from Australia

OK I give up --- how much water does your tank hold? :p

24. Jmeb93

Jmeb93

About half the amount of gas . with a thick peanut butter and jelly sandwich with Nestle strawberry milk. While you wonder why the postman is running out the back door

25. You guys is funny !

Jag used foam on the xj220 it needed to be replaced every 1000 km
    The tank side unbolted and you removed the bricks of foam.

The wiffele (sp) balls seem like a good idea
    Most Modern cars have a baffle around the pump or tank exit to prevent fuel starvation .

26. kursplat

kursplat

i love zombie threads :)