Register now to get rid of these ads!

Difficulty of replacing glass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Halki, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Halki

Halki
    from MO

I need to replace all the glass in my 39 Chevy. Is this doable at home by someone who has no experience? Or, is it better to find a glass installer locally? I'm not afraid to try, but if its known to be tricky I don't mind getting some help from a pro.

If its doable... any tricks I should keep in mind?

2. 37_chevy

37_chevy
    from Nebraska

The roll up windows should be pretty straight forward. The ones with rubber around them are tricky in my opinion. My oldest brother (long time body man) broke one of my windshields putting it in. My thought would be take the old stuff out, clean everything up and find somebody to install. Probably cheaper than breaking a piece and then having to pay somebody anyway.

Also, the wing windows that have the chrome around them are glued into the chrome. Easy to bend that up.
    Good luck!

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ask around the local car folks as there is usually someone who works in a glass shop or used to work in a glass shop who will take on side jobs around. At least that is who I usually get to do my glass installs here.

4. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

Don't be scared I've done it a few times now

5. go to your local glass shop and watch the guy work...ask questions and pay attention...it's not that bad.

6. 6-71

6-71

I replaced all the glass in my 39 chevy coupe,not rocket science,just common sense and dont try to force anything.I lubed the rubber with Go-Jo hand cleaner.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The stuff WITHOUT the grit.:eek:

8. Soap is your friend. My pops uses clothesline to "suck" the glass in. That being said I either pay, or trade our dealership jobber to set my glass in rubber. As much as I like to do most things myself, glass to me just isn't worth the risk. Thats my 2 cents. Good luck.

9. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

DON'T use soap! Everytime it rains you'll have residue suds. I've heard of people using windex...... Liberally!

10. Halki

Halki
    from MO

Awesome, thanks for all the feedback. Ill see if I cant find some one who does/did glass and bribe them to help for beer. Seems to be a good compromise between doing it and having some skill to help.