Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building a new fab table: Somewhat budget consious

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ELpolacko, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Joe Jackman

Joe Jackman
    from SoCal

it was just a suggestion. i think the need exists and i do believe that it can be done a lot cheaper.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The need exists, not sure how much cheaper it can be done and be accurate. I guess that's why so many do their own.

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hell most people wouldn't even want to pay the shipping from Phoenix.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Speaking as one who got conned into drilling and tapping lots of those holes on this one, I can say with out a doubt tables like this would be EXPENSIVE at best...

5. Nice work teens! My envy grows deeper.

6. Getting into the machine building business is something I have wanted to do since I worked for Aerospec many many moons ago. The challenges and creative needed to be in that business is exciting for me. The hot rod industry is pretty fickle at best, but it's close when I get a customer willing to let my freak flag fly!

Time is the killer in any of these builds. Time is what most customers are unwilling to pay for. Automation equipment to speed the processes is expensive which also adds to the output costs, and somewhat unflexible so I end up building what I really need. I have lusted for a Bluco or Acorn system for some time. I would still love to add either one to my equipment collection. Setup is everything. I can't stress that enough, setup is everything. Having good tools and systems for fixturing and holding parts in accurate positions is a must if you expect high quality results. I have stressed though, that this stuff isn't absolutely necessary, you can make up for lack of tooling with attention to details, solid setup techniques and for the sake of all holy and righteous, measure.

A good tape measure, bubble level, protractor, square and string is cheap and the very basics for building anything!

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You mean I have to know what all the short lines between 1", 1/2" and 2"s mean?! I'm out!!!

8. Joe Jackman

Joe Jackman
    from SoCal

could not agree more with what you have to say about setup. setup is everything in machining as well. not having to re-fixture parts for the next operation has huge benefits. i see the machining business beginning to move away from standard: a 3 axis vertical machining center which requires too many setups. i also see much better cadcam software than the current standard in the US (mastercam) becoming a reality.

i think you have a great talent for machine design and that it could balance out how fickle you say, and i believe, the hot rod industry is. even better is i think machine design would expand your options to use your creativity. think others would love to sell the machines you design as well.

9. Just yell out "2nd medium line" or "5th small line" to the guy on the other end of the tape. A guy I used to work with did that..... and he was a lead man....:rolleyes: No bueno.

10. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

This has also been my philosophy, along with adding more tools as I can afford them. You can do A LOT with just simple attention to detail. And if you do anything enough, you can become faster at it...regardless of whether or not you have the latest tooling.

But, I do have a magnetic drill press. Hahaha!

The table is bitchin'...I really like it!

11. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

I take it you haven't seen the pictures of his helve hammers? More art work that doubles as useful tools.

12. Joe Jackman

Joe Jackman
    from SoCal

just found the thread with the videos. the machine is a work of art and seems like a brilliant design to me. it never seems to move and appears to be rigid as hell. i love the cross bracing leg design. i recently learned on this forum that using tubes between plates gives you a more rigid frame. i did not know this till i asked about it on an english wheel.

i have the ron covell video where he makes motorcycle gas tanks. in the video covell stretches the sides of the gas tank with a doming type of hammer. could this machine with doming dies provide the same kind of stretching that a doming hammer does for a motorcycle gas tank?

is a good use of this machine to do shrinking or are you better off using something like the deep throat eastwood stretcher?

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Having used the machine on several occasions, I know that Steve works with his shrinker stretchers AND the hammer to get to where he needs the metal to be. If you haven't seen his shrinker stretches yet, search them nere on the H.A.M.B. You think the helve hammer is a work of art? You aint seen nothin' yet! And, the srinker stretcher stands grew out of the crappiness of the Eastwood stuff....

14. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

15. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Keep throwing up pictures of the different frames you put on this thing! Mine is in the works as i speak.

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Damn Steve.THAT is sweet.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

17. no limits

no limits
    from Louisiana

Very nice.. A work of art..

18. Just a sampling of what's been on the table these last few years:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the latest project, look for a build thread soon!

[​IMG]

zman and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ha! I was already to say throw me a bone and show the Plym up there to the world, but there it is! Complete with the healing hands of Dr. Marvelous...

20. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Cool, thanks for sharing El.

21. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

22. tbcworks.com

tbcworks.com
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That table has a lot of passion in it, like the cars that are being built on it! Great job!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. 48dodger

48dodger

Working on a frame table for my wife's COE.....absolutely fantastic work! 48D