Register now to get rid of these ads!

AOD tailshaft counter weight?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommyd, Jun 2, 2012.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Any problem with getting rid of that piece? I removed it today to clean and detail it and the aluminum it bolts too just crumbled.

2. Nash-Time

Nash-Time

The main reason for that part is vibration and harmonic cancellation in the factory car. I'd just call it an OTS part (over the shoulder) and let it hit the scrap bin.

3. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

Lose it. Not needed.

4. millersgarage

millersgarage

hang onto it, if your car shakes when its done, put it back on.

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Thanks for the reply's. Guess I'll leave it off but keep it in the shed for a while.

6. 65COMET

65COMET

I have done two AOD swaps into Falcons,both used brand new driveshafts with NO counterweights,NO vibrations!! One has a 347 and one has a 427W,both are street drivers[A LOT]!!! ROY.

7. grabrr

grabrr

I don't have one on my AOD, but I do have a bit of vibration around 65 MPH, but that could just be something else...

8. ssimpala

ssimpala

If it's in your Fairlane you may need it to soak up vibrations at higher speeds...depending upon rear gearing, etc. A lot of newer cars use aluminum drive shafts for this purpose. I discovered that the newer Crown Vic cop car shafts fit my '95 Impalas and work well with 4.10 gears. Maybe measure your shaft and hit the wrecking yard. Try it first without the balancer...maybe it's fine, but just a thought.

9. moefuzz

moefuzz

:rolleyes:

Yeah that could just be a side effect of Touretts's Syndrom, do you find yourself blurting out swear words for little or no reason???

10. use it for yard art !!

11. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

You can't have ANY metal yard art around here. DANG SCRAPPERS! They even tore my aluminum address marker right off my post.

12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

That part was done by Ford to eliminate harmonics in some vehicles. For us in the car hobby it is just what it looks like, just junk

13. Ole don

Ole don

Some AOD equiped F 150's had about a three pound chunk rivited to the back of the cab to cancel a vibration in fourth gear. Try it, it may get smooth.