Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auto Racing: SeaTac Speedway, Midway, WA

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by hmartinp, Jun 3, 2012.

1. hmartinp

hmartinp

Hi Gang,

Anybody still around who went to the SeaTac Speedway in the 60's to watch or participate in the races....stockers...midgets, etc.? My dad raced there, but I was given the task of family photographer from the stands, since I was too young to go in the pits.

Dad drove modifieds and others over the years, but he liked the "poor man's" stockers the best.

Why my interest here? There is a contraversy where some say my dad had a skunk on the car top he would wiggle with a wire as he drove the track and nobody in the family remembers. Perhaps a mistaken identity. I am hoping someone who reads these threads migh be able to clerify who really had the skunk and on what car.

2. got pics? ... oh and read the intro sticky (rules) .. alittle more please.

3. Welcome to the H.A.M.B

4. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Welcome to the H.A.M.B.

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome from Indy. Check out the stock car threads on the main board.

6. hmartinp

hmartinp

Sorry I didn't introduce myself: Born in MN..but grew up in Seattle...retired in 2002 and moved to OR...then to CA this past year (tired of the rain and short summers). My dad raced stockers until 1964 when he rolled his Dodge at SEA TAC in Midway, WA. I was the family photographer. A friend is considering writing a book on the speedway and the era and I am helping to dig up some old photos and solve some mysteries:

I don't have any pics of the skunk...I have lots of the speedway. That's all I know about the tale (tail?) of the skunk, except that it would have been in the 1962 to 1964 time frame and through WELSCAR or STARs racing associations....probably the former.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  7. 1320/150

1320/150

cool pics. If I'm not mistaken that track was where the Fred Meyer is. I live about a mile from there. I would love to see more pics.

8. hmartinp

hmartinp

Yes, there is a Fred Meyer there now. I took the track pics just before they started demolition. Here are some more pics. The Dodge was the last car my dad drove and he retired after rolling it in 1964 (see dented top):

Attached Files:

9. Tim De Ladd

Tim De Ladd

hello my name is Tim De ladd.....my dad was Ernie De ladd...he drove the #6 car for shamrock dairy and he owned Ernie"s Chevron.gas station in South Park..in the late 50"s and early 60"s ....does anyone remember him or my mom ....Annie De Ladd?...i"d love to talk to anyone who has any old movies or pics or stories of the old days of welscar racing .....sea tac ..Monroe..yakima ...etc.....you can email me @[email protected] ...or call me @...253-293-9018.....thank you

10. Stepho39

Stepho39

I also have a picture of the #29, along with the #9, #19, and #39. I will try to post it soon. My dad, R.J. Henry, drove the #39 and the picture was taken at a Chevron station in South Seattle. If I remember correctly, Harold Prather drove the 29 and Dick Anderson drove the 19.

11. racer72

racer72

Sorry to necropost but just found these forums. My father, Glenn Hastings drove at Seatac from the mid 50's to the early 60's. My uncle, Vic Leslie, also drove for a couple years. I have a few pictures from the track.

12. Paul Campbell

Paul Campbell

I'm writing a book on Sea-Tac Speedway. I need Glenn Hasting's son to contact me, please.

13. Stepho39

Stepho39

I found the pictures I referred to earlier. See attached.

Attached Files: