Register now to get rid of these ads!

Driving a rod in the heat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stewedscrewdtattood, Jun 1, 2012.

1. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Ditto on that.. Id rather drive in the heat than the cold, anyday!!

Besides im sure some of you could use a good sweat to melt off some of those spare tires haha

2. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Isnt that 45 minutes south of hell.....aka Merced.....:eek:that would explain the heat

LOL, yes we do, as a matter of fact....I am going to get my 64 Chevelle put together over the next two weeks, because if I am going to roast this summer I am going to do it in the Chevelle and not my 85 Subaru Justy....LOL

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Ha, move to Florida, I'll show you some heat............and humidity ! :eek: It was 96 in the shop the other day and we were only in May. My favorite time to take my roadster out is night, it finally gets cool enough to enjoy it.

Don

4. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

If we didn't drive in the heat (or cold), we wouldn't drive the hot rod much in Missouri. We only have about seven "nice" days yearly here any more. Fortunately, yesterday was one......:D

5. mrdodge

mrdodge

Shit.scraped the frost off before I went to work this morning, mind you it is winter here :eek:

6. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Well, at any one time it has to be Winter somewhere...:D

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What the fuck is with all these stupid questions lately. Do you drive in the cold or the rain or the heat?? If you don't get in your hotrod and drive it no matter what the fucking weather is doing go and buy a Mazda and hide in your lounge room.
    Its a car, drive it.

Doc.

8. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I've been working outside for 3 weeks or so. You get used to the heat and don't like it on in the car anymore.

9. striper

striper

Ha. 115 deg. That's nothin'. I drove my car today for 25 hours. It was 170 deg F for at least 24 of 'em. I have a AC but I didn't turn it on 'cause I never do under 175. I sat at one stop light for 3 1/2 hrs. I didn't complain 'cause there were some bitchin babes in the car next to me playin' Elvis Presley tunes. I think it was Elvis but I'm not sure. It wasn't hot enough for me to wind my windows down. Whole time my full race flat head didn't get above 160. No thermo fan neither. That's hot roddin'

10. raymay

raymay

My 37 Chevy PU has air but I never finished hooking it up. The cowl vent was filled. big mistake.
    The 56 Chevy does not have air. The vents are usually open most of the summer and seem to help some.
    The chopped 37 Chevy Sedan has working air but for the most part, I use the cowl vent.
    My left arm has always been darker than my right so I guess I can say I prefer cruising with my window open. Working vents do help unless you get stuck not moving.

11. yep! i drive it in the cold, the rain, and the heat of the blazing sun... but here in new england that could all be in the same day.

12. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I'm glad I live in Michigan.

13. It's 95+ degrees here all summer and I drive her every chance I get. Bearable long as you're not in stand still traffic. I do have a dash fan to move the hot air around.

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

July 1980 Memphis Tenn. Street rod Nationals. It was above 100 for 5 straight days with our normal humidity (high). We had a caravan of club members. The small pool at the motel in Nashville felt like a hot tub. They had TV reports of the older people taken to municipal buildings with AC. The only time I ever left a flea market to get out of the heat. My sneaks felt like they were melting on the asphalt. The vender building was crowded all weekend with people getting out of the heat.

That week end seared in my brain... never use an electric fan. I walked past the Walker Radiator stand twice and it was crowded with people all clamoring about needing a replacement fan motor both times. (there were none)

A local show where I know all the participants won't see me in 95 degree weather just to bullshit in an asphalt parking lot like we always do. I'll stay home in the AC. I'm getting to be a wuss in my old age. Besides that all my friends are bigger wussies than I am. So I'd be alone in the heat.!:D

15. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

Ft Worth, TX - Daily Driver, No AC, No interior, Steel floor, No insulation, Black Seat. It's not been too hot this year so far but in the summer it will be 100+ degrees every day for weeks at a time. I was caught in traffic the other day in 90 something degree weather thinking what kind of dumb SOB builds a car like this....?????

16. Talking about heat, you havnt felt heat unless you have been to Laredo, Tx. Still at 10:00pm its 95 degrees...its freakn hot down here in south Texas. Stay cool...

17. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Check out all of the home made swamp coolers on You tube. Might give you some ideas. There is also a company that sells a ingenious device that replaces the top of an ice chest with a fan. I know of a few in our local club here in Houston that have used them on long rod runs and said it worked great. None of our particular vehicle type have AC.

Mike

18. Summer - its too hot !
    Winter - its too cold !

Who'd have thought goldy locks was into hot rods ?

Buy a trailer pussies.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  19. Kinky6

Kinky6

Um, no shirt may work if you don't have vinyl seats, but the swamp cooler will only work well if the humidity is a lot lower than, say, most of South Carolina during most of the summer. :rolleyes:

Ya might have to bite the bullet and get a real A.C. unit. Or just blow past stop signs and red lights at speed to keep a breeze going. :eek:

Just chillin' in 'Bama, Kinky6 :cool:

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If you are not going to drive it in the heat send it to me and I will,the only time I wont drive them is in the winter with salt on the road. None of my old cars has a/c and never will but the heat we had around here has been getting to my girlfriend so I had to put the top up a couple times,her blood pressure has been slightly up and I dont want to kill her.

21. in kansas it seems like we have 2 temps hot and cold. i have neither a heater nor a/c right now. granted at the moment i would have to push the truck around the block cause of the engine rebuild, but yes, hot cold what ever.

22. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Went to a car cruise a few weeks ago and when we got into my Biscayne to leave it was terrible hot...
    But after driving a few miles with the windows down and the vents wide open it was OK....
    Still is cool though !!!
    Cheers......

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, if you live in most of this country and you want to drive your hot rod during the summer and go anywhere you have to drive it when it's hot or drive it in the big middle of the night.

We loaded the kids in the 48 in 1981 and headed to Texas the year that they had something like 48 days straight over 100. Ice tea for breakfast in Muleshoe at 9am
    driving on melting asphalt in Abilene later in the day and hitting McGregor at around dark.

I did it again in the 51 Merc in 1988 when dad and I took my kids back to their mom in McGregor and then hauled ass to Bonneville for Speedweek. We bought Gateraid by the case that week.

Drive, drink lots of liquids that help you stay hydrated and keep on keeping on.

24. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

Drove my roadster the other day when it was 93. It was hot until I put my trans tunnel in it. Now its actually pretty nice. Good air movement.

25. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Full interiors make a big difference. My '31 just had a seat. The roof had been filled but no insulation and no headliner. In the summer sun, you roasted in that car. My '32, on the other hand, had a full custom interior. With the car being painted black, the interior was white with yellow inserts. Even in the blazing sun, the interior was cool.

Today, I'm headed to Bad Bob's BBQ in El Monte. Hoping to use the a/c, but at noon, it will only be 72.

26. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

This is the life we have choosen.....

27. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Paint color has a bit to do with cab temps in a hard top too. A friend in the local rod club has an early model Chevy truck. It was black some time back. He repainted it silver and it made a big difference in the temperature. He has no AC either. I am painting my car with a silver top now for the same reason. My car has no vent windows. It was purchased that way. The PO had chopped the top which I really like but he put in one piece door glass and did away with the vents. BIG mistake! I plan to get new ones and modify them for the shorter top and put them back in. For now though I am installing one of those small fans to blow the air about when I am stuck at a light.

Mike

28. I have never had working a/c in any car that i have owned... I guess I'm just used to it.

29. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

I don't drive mine in the heat, or the cold, or the rain, or the snow, or beautiful days, or bumpy roads, or...........

30. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

So then... you don't have a car???