Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1920 T Roadster Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Brent...Your project eclipses many we have seen, mainly for its era-correct and budget-minded approach.

Thanks for the in-depth of the paint mixing, and application. (I have some T's, so this was 'Velly intellesting'.)

Congrats on your little miracle, and the acquisation of your house! Lot happening there...
    It's all great.
    I had the good fortune of buying a house here (Central Cali, very small town, outside city limits) 1/4 acre, 210 foot deep well, water rights are everything. New shop just finished, now it's time for welding.

2. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks man, I've seen you post this photo around and I've got to say, I really REALLY dig this car. I appreciate the kind words, too. I'm lucky to have found the HAMB and to have so many "brothers" all over the place.

I'll be back at it, for sure. I am anxiously biding my time.

Wow, Mike, that's really nice of you to say. The house is slow gowing partially to the fact I'm a busy juggling fool. I picked up a part time job to help pay for the bills and such (that adds 30+ hrs a week) and then I still tackle the remodel list, which is getting smaller each week. When I am done with that, I change diapers and do some supplemental feeding.

I'll tell you one thing, no one can say I'm loafing around. I've learned if you want to accomplish more all you have to do is get up earlier (or in my case, go to bed later).

Here's one of the latest images of the exterior of my house. It fits in with the era of autos I like. I've done a ton to it. The landscaping in front of the house will change once we're in it and things settle down.

[​IMG]

Here's the little hot rodder. His nickname is Bob Racecar. So far just my 4 y.o. niece and I call him that. That's good enough for us. As any good dad would, I picked up a 26/27 touring body (for the family, of course). Because what family is complete without a family sized gow job? :D

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Great project! I always wanted to build an original metal Model T roadster, and yours will be an inspiration if I am ever lucky enough to do it. Thanks for the informative and interesting thread!

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome!!! Great looking little guy!! We've got another bun in the oven as we speak and the first one is still new to me!

Good thinking on the Phaeton. I currently am SOL on family cars besides the '54 chevy I have. I'll never get rid of it but something insides me would rather be working on a early ford sedan rather then that. I really thought my '35 would have done the trick but it's taking so long that by the time I drive that pig we will have multiplied again.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Brent...
    Congrats again, that Bob Racecar looks bored...Get him welding!
    Glad you found a tub.
    The one I'm working on now is a '27 Touring! (great minds...)

I'll be utilizing your paint technique when I get that far... (tub is an early rod, no fenders, on a 'suicided' 'A' frame right now, and I'm 'de-rusting' and patching.

Thanks for all the pics, was a great read! House is gorgeous.

6. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Bob Racecar already has the TIG welding grip down I see!!

I'm working on building the body for a Model A speedster now so my T is still on hold. Should make enough to at least get the ol' girl under her own power though.

Ron

7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Brent

it would appear that you're busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger!!!

Congrats on the birth of BR.

Family first - cars 2nd.
    Unless they are pre-menstral teenage girls, then you run to the shed to get away from them!!! ;)

8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Sweet!! Gorgeous little hot rodder there. Looks like he'll make a great shop assistant some day.

Can't wait to see the touring build but first.. Can't wait to see this one get finished.

9. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Time will fly Brent before you know it you will be taking him out for a burger

Attached Files:

10. Tourer eh?
    Just about finished mine Brent. Hoping to take the kids to the Classic Le Mans next month if the registration comes through in time.
    Trimming the rear seats today waiting for the hood irons to turn up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just the final drive and engine to change before I go....

Lil'Alb likes this.
  11. skoh73

skoh73

What a cute little fella! You are a lucky man.

12. Brent, he can't be from Utah, he ain't BLONDE!!!!!!!!!

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

THANKS FELLAS!

Hahaha... and to me, that's a good thing. I'll probably live most of the rest of my life in this state and I won't be from Utah either.

14. Carla spent the summer of 02 working in SLC, I know!

15. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Great stuff...and congrats!

16. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Congrads on Bob Racecar! We had a little one last year and car time stopped. Now he loves the garage as much as I do and thinks the shrinker/stretcher is a bouncie horse! I love your build too! It's one of my favorites on the hamb!

17. Jalopy Banger

Jalopy Banger
    from Sweden

Brent, a fantastic home and a cute little hot rodder. Congratulations!! I envy You.
    Now soon You can proceed with Your build.

18. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

what is the good word on this great project?!

19. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Love this thread! An inspiring build!

20. Very inspiring build. I'm not sure how I missed it. I'm hoping to start a "low tech" sort of project like this next summer. I just have to get my Touring on the road first. One thing I wanted to point out though is Apple Green was a stock color for A wheels and pinstripes. My dads 31 Vicky is Brewster Green and Black with Apple green wheels and stripes.

After reading more I relize you figured that out but I still like the dark green bright green combo

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  21. snot275

snot275

Just went through this thread. What a cool ass build!! Love the little nuances and the idea of this thing. Keep it up dude! And congrats on the little one, mine is 2 months old. She holds up project time but it's awesome all the same!

22. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Found this thread and went through it, and wow! That's a real sharp looking T you're building, keep up the good work and keep us posted on it!

23. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks fellas. I'm nearly done with the house remodel. It's only been 13 months! Hahaha.

Then the garage is going to get some updates, lights, organization, and most importantly a service upgrade since it's running of a 15a breaker, now.

Then, hot rods will be built.

24. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank GOD!.....The wait and suspense was killing me! :eek:

You know that I have built mine twice now, right? :rolleyes: ...you got some catching up to do! :D lol!

(must give you a hard time, dying to see this one come together!)

25. -Brent-

-Brent-

Clayton, it's likely you'll get another built before mine is done... haha.

26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All SHOULD !!! ha ha

27. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

I'm in your same boat except for the house part:) a Little girl named Clover showed up 3 years ago, haven't touched my '27 RPU since then! Congrats on the new house and also the new baby as well... awesome, have fun with those project to, they are never ending:)
    best wishes and enjoy them!

28. RichG

RichG

Your RPU and this "T", I've been wondering about them both!

29. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Brent,

Just finished reading all 24 pages of your build - WOW it's turning out REALLY nice! What a great build, and to see that most of it was done in a rented storage space is quite an accomplishment in itself! Congratulations on the addition of "Bob Racecar" to the family - I have two of my own and let me tell you they sure do grow up fast. Hope all is well with your family as well as your home remodel.

Pete

P.S. - Finding any time to work on the gow job lately i.e.- any updates?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  30. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Cab, I can only agree with the feelings that you and Brent are having. I am in the same but different kind of situation. My wife passed on April 1st (no joke) last year. In May of 2012, I was befriended by a lady from Tucson Az. We became very good friends. In Jul 2012 our relationship was almost blown apart. She was found to have cancer and also skin eating disease. Here it is 2013 and she just made it past six months since they confirmed her cancer. As I told her now we can shoot for a full year of fighting Cancer. I know that we will spitually be fighting this together.

Wish you both all the best with your families.

Dave :eek: