Register now to get rid of these ads!

Freshly bagged 1959 ford f100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake84, May 29, 2012.

1. Blake84

Blake84

That's how I feel the back is perfect in my opinion and then it's like a completely different person did the front. Crazy!

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's probably what happened!!! Like two different artist worked on it!!

I'd get that jag frontend and a refund... and go somewhere else... Plenty of hambers can suggest a good shop close to you!!

3. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

the pictures of the rear look acceptable as long as all the welds have been completed, as your question on what should be changed in the front, the simple answer is all of it, I would demand it to be removed and replaced with a properly engineered front suspension that will not kill you. Sorry this happened to you, you are doing the 100% right thing by getting if fixed and not driving it on the road

4. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

Man they have a link to their Myspace page on their website.... 1st warning sign lol:p

5. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

looking at the video of the rear its ok, can you get some pictures of the 4-link welds at the frame?

6. Blake84

Blake84

Problem is I sold my front suspension with side 3 inch drop axle. If I get a refund and take jag front clip I have no steering or suspension. I sent him( shop owner) a link to this thread and said read what people are saying about your work. This needs to be fixed. They assured me it would be I bring it back June 6th and I wish I knew someone in the Los Angeles riverside area that would meet at the shop so they can hear as they explain what they are going to do to correct this issue. Like I said before I really don't know anything about suspensions and thanks to a member earlier in this thread I now know what good welds look like. It is just disappointing when you take you truck to someone you trust whose a "professional" and then according to everyone here I'm driving a time bomb. I don't like getting taken advantage of. I Appriciate everyone's help.

SO NOTHING IN THIS FRONT END IS SALVAGABLE? Nothing can be mounted differently to make it right? Anyone have any pics of their set up?

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

The Jag frontend would be the suspension/steering that would replace the mess you have installed in your truck!!

8. Blake84

Blake84

What does the shop mean by I would have to section your frame? I saw the clip and I see where they just cut the frame and I get that the frame of the jag is not as wide as my frame or vice versa. But what does he mean by sectioning my frame? Is that a bad thing?

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Don't worry about that... If you don't know about suspension, it'd be tough to explain that in one post.

But a Jag setup would be much better than what you have.

Here's a pic of a 48 ford with jag frontend, which is nearly the same as your truck frame wise...

[​IMG]

10. Piewagn

Piewagn

Add a "section" to the center of the unit. It seems the work they did on the existing front end was more work than sectioning the Jag front!! Now, they gotta do it all over again!! I don't understand why they didn't perform YOUR desired install, instead of that birds nest! Good luck man!!

11. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Fella i think its fair to say that from the feedback you have had from folks that know you need to do one thing. Pay for the rear, get a refund on your shoddy work, grab a trailer and get the fuck out of there.

I'll put it another way. That front end is dangerous and wrong, period. The bag rubs out and goes pop whilst your driving down the road. You try and correct it but due to a poor amount of steering lock you plow into a car full of folks. They let you drive that and put yourself and others in harms way big time. Thats not just poor work like a shit paint job, that, if left would kill someone some day.

Finally join a club, find some gearhead mates or at least someone that can go and look at stuff with you. No disrespect but if you don't even know what a decent weld looks like your like a lamb to the slaughter. No disrespect at all meant. It rotten whats happened and someone needs a serious speaking to.

Good luck

12. Blake84

Blake84

Agreed I just emailed the shop this link on how I want jag install and told them I want the jaguar install done like this install in the link below. I said the reason I originally asked for jaguar front clip is because it's been done by so many people and I have heard nothing but positives. When the word custom is used on my front suspension that tells me I'm the only one with it :D

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=571296&highlight=jaguar+clip

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

I don't think they know how to do it... and I wouldn't trust them again with the truck. You'll end up with a botched up Jag install next go around!!

14. PFF

PFF
    from UK

Blake
    Jag front is not a easy swap on the 57 on up F1. Iv done it and it needs the frame narowing if you want it low it also needs a zee. Have a look at the pictures. Might be better to look at Mustang 2

Good luck Pete
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Whoa.... Stay safe buddy.

16. Blake84

Blake84

Damn thanks for the pics. I see what your saying and now I know what he meant by the frame of the jag is too narrow. I will look into mustang 2. Thank you

17. severedjosh

severedjosh
    from california

well id like to introduce myself. my name is josh. i designed and installed the front suspension on this truck. ive been doing suspension and frames for the past 8 years. i was the one that told kevin the jag front end would not fit under the front of the f100 without narrowing the section it would weld up to. he then gave me full range to build the front.

first issue. welds. yes the welds dont look the best but i can honestly tell you the welds are safe and have plenty of penetration. every piece of metal was beveled at a 45 before being welded. and every weld had atleast .5-1" of heat dissipation on both metals being welded.

2nd issue. tie rod end. im not sure wether its the spacer or the fact of the adapter being welded to the rack. the metal welded to the rack is .25" wall dom and the adapter then welds to that. it is very strong. me or kevin has had 0 issues on that setup as most vehicles with extreme suspension travel require a heim and the spacer is there to give the correct amount of bump steer for cornering.

3rd issue suspension design.the design is a basic mustang II but with the upper raised 2" to correct camber at lower levels of ride height. it was also designed to have 3 degrees camber change from full droop to full bump.

4th issue bag placement. this front suspension was designed to lay the crossmember on the ground. this was a misscomunication somewhere and im not pointing fingers but it was then decided to not lay and thats why a spacer is on top of the bag. if the spacer was not there it wouldnt rub on itself.

anyone here is welcome to visit my fb page. its not private so anyone can see and comment on the pictures. there are a ton of pictures of past builds ive done. so im not a noob, noor a hack. like i said the welds arent perfect everywhere on the front of this truck but they are solid.

http://www.facebook.com/severed.josh?ref=tn_tnmn

now i will fix whatever you see wrong. grind down every weld and make them look beautiful.

Blake, you can message me directly on here or fb and i will gladly give you my phone number to talk to me directly about it. i stand by my work 100% and will gladly redo whatever.

i just had to chime in here. it would be different if i had no clue what i was doing but i have 8 years under my belt and took 3 welding class's so i know the proper dissipation, penetration and beveling techniques on welding anything from 20g to .75" steel, stainless and aluminum.

Josh

18. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

if you think that you built that right...

fine 2+2=5 becuase i say its right...

19. Blake84

Blake84

20. Hi Blake

Nice truck, I can see the direction your heading in

The rear suspension looks pretty good, and very similar in concept to what I'm doing on my sons 64 at the moment

The panhard looks to be on a strange angle, but thats pretty common on a bagged four link with decent excursion.

The front end, as others have said, is another story

Your original plan of a Jag front normally works well in an F truck, as long as you don't want to lay frame

With a complete XJ6 front mounted under the chassis, using the Jag rubber mounts, the chassis will sit at about 10" clearance below the rail just in front of the jag front mount (8" at the bolt centre) with the A arms at their designed ride height geometry

In that install, with bags (SLAM 6" work well, as they don't balloon) you can then drop it 3" below that at full drop

Strip the original rubber mounts and weld the Jag in, and you can get about 1 1/2 inches lower than that, but the install is WAY more complex

That will still have the sills about 2" off the ground at full drop

If you want it lower than that, you need to raise the front rails like in the post above.

On width, a Jag XJ6/12 is 61" face to face. They are however designed for wheels with about 1 1/4" positive offset

On my sons 64, with 20 x 8.5 (yeah, not real HAMB friendly) it has about 3" lip clearance, do lock to lock at ride height without fouling, and they look like they will tuck nicely for full drop ......... but that is still with 2" under the sills at full drop.

The Jag front does NOT need widening to fit a 57 to 64 F100 chassis, but does need a notch in the gusset at the back of the tower. Alternatively you can drag and narrow the frame forward of the firewall

So, if you don't want to lay the sills on the deck at full drop, a Jag front is an easy solution.

If you want to lay sills, then a custom design based on MII like you have may be the best bet, however geometry is always a compromise when you want that amount of travel

Hope that helps

I could maybe mail some photos of the Jag front I'm doing now, but it still has coils in it .........bags are a few weeks away yet (no $$)

Or ask El Polacko about his front end (Dakota)

Anyway, like where you heading, but I think you need to think about how low you really want it, because laying frame brings some serious geometry compromises on the front end, that you may have trouble living with if you intend using the truck as a shoptruck

Just $0.02 worth from down under, based on a couple of Jag installs I have done, and the current 64 I'm bashing away on

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  21. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i hope you post pictures of the after, seems like the shop wants to make things right and knows it will be shown to the world, I think they will treat you right and give you a proper front end

22. I saw the welds, look similar to what farmers do out in the field for emergency repairs. No consistency in your weld beads and obviously out of position on many of the welds. I notice plenty of gaps, holes and voids in your welds. You need to practice much more than you have before you start taking peoples money.

Are the front frame rails even boxed? The crossmember doesn't seem to contact much of the frame, so what is supporting the frame rails to prevent your air spring and upper arms from twisting the frame rails?

You shouldn't be welding on tie rods, period.

Consider yourself lucky rather than good here.

Dude, stop. You are obviously lying about the three degrees of camber change. We can clearly see that the wheel has severe negative camber at full compression.

[​IMG]

Reminds me of statements made by a shop that did a particular Hudson I'm working on.

Three whole classes? You mean you attended three individual classes, semesters or attended three different programs? Judging by the welds, I doubt you graduated any welding class.

I'm not trying to be catty here but you opened yourself up to this. Your work here is exactly the type of stuff I have been working against my entire adult life. This is hackery and it's plenty obvious by the pictures it doesn't work properly and you really don't know what you are doing.

I highly suggest you step back for a bit and really read up on suspension engineering and fabrication techniques before you do this sort of thing again.

23. Low57F100

Low57F100

so who did the welding/fab on the back of the truck and why didnt they do the welding/fab on the front? its clearly 2 different people with 2 different skill level. 1 is acceptalbe the other is a hack.

24. Blake84

Blake84

I believe the owner Kevin did the rear? I was under the impression the he also did the front but Josh came forward and claimed he did it which I actually admire him for taking all the criticism.

Hopefully after reading all the comments he can fix the issues and everything turns out alright I'll post a picture after its corrected and I'm sure they will make good on their word. They have been very understanding

25. good job severedjosh for posting on here, its right thing to do. i say you and the boss go get this truck on monday morning

but where have you seen a front bag mounted like that? you know that bag isnt mounted right. if you installed that and that bag blew out in 4 months and it hurt the person drivin the truck or someone else in a different vehicle then what?

26. severedjosh

severedjosh
    from california

there wont be any hashing anything out. i gave my personal number to blake so we can talk about and im not about to start arguing over the internet about what is wrong and what isnt. this will be fixed. it will be fixed in a timely manner and i will post pictures to this thread as its getting fixed and the finished product. i will grind and re weld every joint. narrow the track width by a total of 6" re angle the upper arm.

when he comes in he will be taken care of.

these are a few pictures of my work
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thats just a few. like i said anyone can go to my fb and look at them all for there selfs.

im not goin to argue. i will let the new pictures of blakes truck do the talking.

josh

27. severedjosh

severedjosh
    from california

the bag would of not been against itself if the spacer was not in the front, it wasnt setup with that spacer. if you take out the spacer, move the bag bracket down and re angle it and install a longer stroke shock or move the mount down the bag will travel correctly witch will be taken care. everything will be taken care of.

josh

28. Low57F100

Low57F100

so please explain how the garbage you did to the front was done if you are capable of doing it right?

it not like you laid down one shitty bead then fixed it. every weld on the front looks like a blind 5 year old did it. thats not even getting into the fab part of it.

29. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

is it me or does the rear axle seem a bit off center. not much but it look like it is. the pass side bag is crazy tight on the tire in the video. btw bitchin truck man. just make sure they get u squared up on the fab work. ill be bagging my 59 chev stepside soon. i love the old fords though. once they get u squared away with the fab work i would honestly just leave it as is. truck is killer man. and i saw your wood bed you did too. pretty tight