Register now to get rid of these ads!

Krylon Rattle Can Flake REVIEW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60galaxieJJ, Jun 1, 2012.

1. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Ok so when I heard of Krylon Glitter Blast rattle can flake I was really excited and skeptical. So I rushed over to the nearest FredMyers and pic up some and told ya'll id do a review. So here it is!

First off when i was able to track some down I saw the price and size of the can and almost had a fit. $5.49 for a 5.75oz 163g can. A normal can of spray paint is around 11oz 311g.

So i picked up some of the "Lucky Green" and some primer and green base. I figured Id test this on a piggy bank i had laying around. Got it primed, based and scuffed with a 3m scotch brite pad.

I shook the hell out of the flake can for about 3 mins making sure it was properly mixed. The second I hit the spray tip i was kind of suprised at how much pressure was coming out of the can and the amount of flake coming through. As I sprayed a light coat i shook the can. The coverage of the first coat was amazing. I let it sit for about 10 mins then did another medium coat. Let sit for 20, lightly touched to see if dry then hit it with the final coat.

After i let it dry this is how it looked...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I was surprised that i couldn't find 1 flake that stood on edge. I even shot a piece of flat metal i had to see if it had the same result. I think it may be because its so small so its considered a glitter therefor has a less likly chance to show any standing on edge.
    [​IMG]
    After I was certain there were no wet layers I did the whole clear process with a high solid urethane clear. Heres one pic of how it looked after clear.
    [​IMG]
    I dont think pictures do it justice on how reflective and briliant it came ho so heres a short video. (short video due to rain starting. gotta love Washignton)
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/adQZxqHwuBY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
    All in all I dont think its a bad product for the price because I was able to let the half used can sit for about 2 weeks pick it up and start using it again no problem.

I do consider it more of a glitter or a micron flake then a actual flake. Still looks badass

Any questions feel free to ask.
    Thanks - JJ

2. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Wow that turned out pretty cool.

3. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

yea im really happy with how it turned out. im going to lay some stripes down on it soon and pics of that will probably end up on a near friday art show

4. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

That is one sparkly piggy bank.

5. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

6. Oh No, should I look for a sparkly tractor soon?:eek:

7. C-man405

C-man405
    from oswego ill

Thanks I will be using that on my next model!

8. So, What High solids Urethane Clear did you use? Is it the clear they recommend or some other brand? Really great results!

9. I wouldn't bet against it.....:D

10. derbydad276

derbydad276

pull som e lines on it and you will have a very nice traditional piggy bank ;)

11. you need a home equity loan to buy enough rattle cans to spray your car !!

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Good spot to stash project cash now!

13. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Impressive results. Looks great!

14. That does look nice! That gives me a couple of ideas for accessories for my teardrop camper project...

15. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Came out really great.

16. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Thanks for the review and follow up.

17. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

Looks great! Thanks for finally doing a review on it. May have swayed me to change gears on the Duplicolor MetalSpecks!

18. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

That looks cool!

19. Cam VanDerHorst

Cam VanDerHorst

I bought some of this to paint a guitar body I'm working on. It lays down great, but once that nozzle starts spitting, it dosen't want to stop! If you're painting an unusually-shaped piece, it's easy to get runs if you aren't careful. Thankfully, it sands back easily and covers up well. I used a black basecoat, and the surf-y green color.

20. I've got an old Schwinn Stingray bike that is gonna get that treatment.

21. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I just used some old Omni clear I had laying around because I knew rattle can clear wouldn't do the trick

22. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

thanks for doing this write up!

23. Gromit

Gromit

I keep watching the local Hardware joint for Green.. I have red blue and black so far. I did the surf wagon wheels in black. Not thrilled but thery look cooler than the red.

24. Oh no, please don't! Original please.

25. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

for some reason I would have guessed the Krylon Laquer CC just to keep it same brand

26. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Thanks for the info - have to give it a whirl sometime.

27. robber

robber

I love Krylon! You just gave me one more reason for that... now, where to use this flake?:cool:

28. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

This was my exact experience when I was painting a bicycle frame with this glitter blast. The nozzle would get stuck and I was getting a lot of runs. The coverage was awesome tho.

29. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

this thread got me to take a trip to walmart about an hour ago to pick up this paint and a few other things i needed, thanks for getting my to spent me money :mad:, i spent a half an hour looking for it in the spray paint section (i knew it was in the store I went to because I check the availability online), I was about to give up and decided to check out the craft section and there it was, I pretty much bought them out, I left the pink and silver and took the rest they had

Attached Files: