Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Edsel Owners--Where do you get parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldfart, May 29, 2012.

1. I just bought a 59 Edsel Corsair that HAMB member racinman is going to pick up for me next week..The PO said that it needs a distributor.
    I called NAPA and was told that they didn't have one nor could they get one..Where do you get your Edsel parts?

2. 58edselretractable

58edselretractable

3. King of Edsel parts

JERRY LASSEIGNE [email protected]

Jerry Lasseigne, 300 Coulon Road, Thibodaux, LA 70301 Phone 985-446-6487 or email

Hes got it all pretty much.

Oldmics

4. edsels use ford and mercury engines...a no brainer.....try ebay motors/parts& accessories....check hemmings publications...should be very easy to get your distributor.

5. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Mac's perhaps?
    Good go on an Edsel. I've wanted one for years.

6. '59Edsel

'59Edsel

Macs's Antique Auto Parts, eBay, Rockauto, here on the HAMB...

7. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

We have the tuneup kits for all the stock distributors thru 1972.....points types. These include the cap, rotor points and condenser. Don' know who would have any NOS or rebuilt distributors. You may have to have someone rebuild your existing unit.

8. rld14

rld14

Bubba's rod shop, fellow HAMBer can rebuild it.

As far as Edsel stuff goes, Edsel specific stuff is going to be tricky to find and pricey just like for my Lincoln, but that engine in there is either a Y block or an FE, and you can get anything for those. The tranny is the same as in a regular Ford or Mercury, the rear end is probably a 9", etc... Check Rockauto, they have shitloads of stuff for your car.

9. welded78

welded78
    from ct

their is an old junkyard in colchester ct that has 2 or 3 in it i dont no how to contact the guy he is not easy to reach maybe someone here could help if you cant find anything out your way good luck

10. hot74roadrunner

hot74roadrunner
    BANNED

when you get your car pm me i have what you need and then some ill give you a distributor for free i would like to see some of this stuff i have layin around go to a good home

11. 5window

5window

Maybe a Newbie, but definitely the right stuff. Nice move.

12. Thanx for the offer.I have some parts(mostly Chevy,some 26,27 Ford) laying around,If you need anything let me know..Oldfart

13. A distributer for a merc or a lincoln will fit, look for a distributer for a '64 merc with a 383.

I am not absolutely sure but it may be that an FE distributer will fit as well.

Now another question that needs to be asked, I have heard that some edsels had Y blocks in them, if that is the case than a Y block distributer si what it will take.

There is one other option, drop GMC Bubba a note he may have one under the bench.

14. MissPrint

MissPrint

Also, check out this site: http://www.edsel.com/pages/edsel59.htm

Wealth of basic information on all things Edsel :)

Does your Corsair have a 292 Y block (standard in the Ranger), 332 (standard for the Corsair) or 361 (optional for the Corsair), or is it a different engine than the original?

Other than specific Edsel parts, most is standard 59 Ford, which is what I usually tell parts folks (saves the trouble of trying to explain what an Edsel is in the first place, and most modern computer programs don't actually list Edsel at all :rolleyes: ).

Welcome to the wonderful world of Edsel :D, half the fun and most of the challenge is finding specific Edsel "stuff."

15. MissPrint,
    So the corsair had a y block and not a MEL?

16. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Most good wrecking yards have interchange books...Well worth the time to head over there, and spend time going thru 'em...

4TTRUK

17. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

The MEL engine was only used in 1958 and only in the Corsair and Citation series of that year.

Mechanically the 59 Edsels are pretty much similar to the 59 Fords.

BTW my dad still has close to a couple hundred Edsels.;)

18. Thanks jeff,

Only edsel I ever fiddled with was a '58, damn the luck. We robbed parts from it for the engine in my '58 Merc. Guess if the only one you ever saw had a MEL in it then, well you know.

Y block distributers are not that hard to come by.

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm still kicking my butt on this one. About a year ago I went to a storage auction like the ones you see on TV. One unit was a 10 x 20 and it was FILLED with only Edsel parts. The guy who had it must have been in the business because there were too many parts for just a collector.

There were body parts, like doors, fenders, hoods, bumpers, grilles, etc., and lots of mechanical stuff like engine blocks, intakes, etc. In one corner there was a stack of body chrome strips that you couldn't get your arms around. It was so crowded in there you couldn't almost walk down the center.

It only went for $ 1000, but I passed because it looked like a lot of work getting all of it out of there in 24 hours and also because I know very little about Edsels. It would have taken a lot of time to research what was there and what they fit. But now that I look back on it a guy could have made many times his investment if he took the time to do it and sell the parts individually. I regret passing on it now. :(

Don

20. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Don's,....... Haven't we all done something like that...... (he said, kicking his own ass)

4TTRUK