Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects KIWI MADE 1927 T Lakes modified - Journey to the end of the road!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodbox, Mar 31, 2012.

1. fleet-master

fleet-master

11,744 views....you know a couple hundred of those are just me...:D:D:D:p:eek:

2. woodbox

woodbox

Its OK Paul.......the rest are just me!:eek:

But no-one has put on a rating yet!

3. SimonSez

SimonSez

I'm not rating it until I know what colour it is ;)

4. woodbox

woodbox

I like the way you think!:rolleyes:

All will be revealed!;)

Only 43 days to go.:p

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  5. will you stop muckin about and get back to work on it:D

6. woodbox

woodbox

Yes'm Massa! I will be right back into it after a couple of days of paid work! They keep expecting me to turn up!

7. New paint.......and new leather, wow.

8. woodbox

woodbox

No photos tonight, but here are a couple of very colorful pictures that I prepared earlier. These will help to explain the way that the miriad of panels all work together to make up the bulk of my car.

In the first picture below,showing a sectional view across the car behind the firewall, the floor panel sits on top of the chassis tube (this is where I am at the moment). Next to join the fun is the sil/rocker panel. This stretches the full length of both sides of the car, and also supports the hood sides (explained in the second drawing).

Next on the pile up is the body sides, these are fibreglass with a steel angle piece bonded between the glass and resin. The top of the body is supported by the top of the chassis tubes. On top of the body flange is the inner support panel, this enables the interior panels to fasten to something along the bottom. Once the stack is complete a series of fastenings clamps them all tightly together.

I have used extensively throuhout the build of this car fastenings called Rivnuts. They are known by various brand names but are essentially a captive nut that is inserted and crushed inplace, just like a rivet. These are very handy when you put the car together and take it apart as many times as I have over the last 8 years!

On the underside of the sil/rocker panel is where the belly pan is attached, this completes the coverage of the entire frame of the car, and makes it all slipperier than a snakes belly!

Are ya with me so far?
    [​IMG]

The second picture is also a cross sectional view across the car looking the same direction but this time from ahead of the firewall.

The sil/rocker panel is supported by the floor from behind the fire wall and at the front ahead of the radiator support frame, where it rolls over the top of the rail (broken line).

Onto the sil/ rocker panel sits the hood side which is folded from one piece. The bottom of the hood side where it is folded back onto itself has been sealed fully with Urethane and a closed pocket. the hood sides are fastened to the sil/rocker panel with cap screws and Rivnuts.

The return fold on the top of the hood side is to provide strength/ stiffness where the exhaust cutouts are and provide somewhere to fasten the Dzus fastenings for the hood top panel.

I hope this has clarified a little of the construction of my project.
    [​IMG]

back to work again tomorrow (paid work, that is).

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wow. Do you have drawings for the whole car? From afar, and I'm no metal worker, I thought the way you did the panels around the x brace at the firewall was also very clever. I used rivnets a lot on my 37 sedan but not so much on the truck. They are just too handy not to, eh? Gary

10. woodbox

woodbox

Gary, I do have a lot of sketches of the project, not quite as fancy as these two though! I always spend many hours thinking through the job and sketching lots of possible solutions to problems that present themselves. I have always figured "If I can draw it, I can make it!" and it is always easier to rub out a line on paper than it is to do it in steel!
    I may scan the sketches at some stage and share them.

Sergeant82d likes this.
  11. AAHAAA! if the drawings are Blue, surely the car must be....

Dam fine work so far , looks like in about 40 something days we'll be seeing it
    in the flesh . This alone is going to make the trip to the show worthwhile .

12. Haha, I almost spit beer all over my computer! Pure gold!

This thing is coming along real nice Woodbox, that brake pedal you crafted is top notch, just like the rest of it.
    Can't wait to see some colour shots, I'll be happy as long as its not painted yellow.

13. woodbox

woodbox

I will do my best not to dissapoint!

14. Are you going to photoshop the colour in when you are done?

15. woodbox

woodbox

Only time will tell!
    :cool:

16. woodbox

woodbox

42 days to be precise! The drawings are called BLUE PRINTS:cool:

17. Mind blowing car and engineering. Looks amazing. That should be one sturdy car.

18. woodbox

woodbox

I am hoping it will be quite inflexible ( I wanted to say "Stiff", but I know the level of the audience!!) and only time will tell how she rides. I am pretty sure all the geometry should work together and give a comfortable and surefooted ride.

19. woodbox

woodbox

I had a list of jobs to do in town today, amongst them was to deliver posters for the event that we are hosting in 40 days. On the way from there i picked up a few more panels from the paint booth. Included in the pile this time was the Sil/rocker panels.

[​IMG]

I ran a tap down the threads, as usual, to clear the paint.

[​IMG]

Before I could put these panels onto the chassis I had to put some rivnuts that I had forgotten prior to paint.

Initially I ran a drill for the OD of the rivnut through the panel.

Then I cleaned off the swarf with one of my favorite tools.

[​IMG]

After deburring I insert the rivnut and holding jig. Then tighten.

[​IMG]

The crushed rivnut in place and ready for action.

[​IMG]

They look very neat and work very well.

[​IMG]

Here the sil/rocker panel on the chassis. Lookin smart!

[​IMG]

And some detail shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats It for today. I gotta go to work tonight.
    More tomorrow......maybe! I gotta sleep sometime!

20. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

There ya go, I gave you a full 5 stars:cool:

Scotty.

21. woodbox

woodbox

Thanks Scotty! Nice to know somebody cares.

22. Looking good alright ............

23. mrdodge

mrdodge

Same colour as yours.....gray!!!!:eek:

24. woodbox

woodbox

Cheers.

It could be a lighter shade of Pale!

25. I gave ya some stars too .... not telling you how many though "General TimberFanny " ! :D

26. WOW, I really like the progress..

27. woodbox

woodbox

I have the car slung on two hooks ready to lift it down from the rotissery and back onto the suspension. I should get that done before I go back to work tonight.

28. woodbox

woodbox

This arvo I had a little help from my son and my Nephew (3yrs), we lifted the chassis off the rotissery and rolled the rear axle under. Everything fitted together like a glove! Now its looking a bit like a wheelbarrow, but we will get that sorted tomorrow after a sleep! The front end is a little more tecnical, with the torsion bars etc.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  29. mrdodge

mrdodge

Lookin' good. Woo Hoo !!!:D

30. striper

striper

The black and white pics are boring me. I'll be back when it's finished.