Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Campers...Let's see what you got!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mctim64, Jun 4, 2009.

1. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Nice shape to start with for a '58!

2. 61morrisrat

61morrisrat
    from ohio

Here is some pictures of our 1967 Scotty Highlander that we restored. The first picture is what we started with.The picture of the door show that the camper has some history.Also check out the wheel covers they are from a 57 Chevy.We have an old Chevy truck that we pull it with.

67 highlander 3.jpg

camper 13.jpg

Scotty 1.jpg

Scotty 2.jpg

Scotty 3.jpg

Scotty 5.jpg

Scotty 4.jpg

3. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

that looks like you could put full size house furniture in it!

4. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I have a chance to get a 1955 Aero 16' Trailer for $1,500.00.Sorry no pic's yet.It's all aluminum(double walled)riveted.It's complete except for the dining table.Cabinets and glass are good.The floors are bad and will be fixed before purchase.Is thisa fair price?

5. Lotta neat ol campers here. Id love to have one but my honey would never use one unless it had all the amenities of home.

It would have to be one of those giant Spartans, but there is no way I would tow one of those, it would scare me to death with something that big behind me. They are my favorites though =)

Glen-L has some camper plans that a person could use to make a neat ol retro style trailer. There are more than just the ones you see on this page. Just gotta hunt for em. Careful if you start looking at the boats ... huge drool factor =)

http://www.boatdesigns.com/RV-Plans/departments/696/

6. my dads '66 Serro Scotty Sportsman

Attached Files:

7. Patrick46

Patrick46

If THEY are gonna rebuild the floors.....then that's a GREAT PRICE!!

That's the biggest part of rebuilding onna these things. Well...that and the roof! :eek: :cool:

8. Fenders

Fenders

That's the sorta thing where, if you like the style, you hafta ask yourself: Will I ever find another one in my lifetime?
    Sometimes the price don't count. So the only question is: Can I afford it, or not?

9. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Thanks guys.I think I'm going to get it.Iwant something to take to El Mirage instead of a tent.

10. roughneck424

roughneck424

If you don't like the price send a picture to me. I would buy it most likely.
    For what's described sounds like the going rate.

11. roughneck424

roughneck424

You will love the trailer rather than a tent. It's nice to have all ur beenie weenie's packed and ready to go :)

12. docmike

docmike

I've got a friend who built one of these years ago. It has taken him from northern Illinois to California numerous times. He owns something like 35 Volkswagens, you might say he is an enthusiast, so you know it was built to be used. I was told that Volkswagen of Germany contacted him a few years ago and offered him "any new car that VW builds" if he would trade it to them so they could put it into museum in Germany.

Doc
    [​IMG]

13. There used to be quite a few of those VW Lil Buggers running around SoCal in the 80's. I laughed every time I saw one.

14. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Recent pic of our camper doing what is does best, showcase the Avanti. Pismo Beach at the Donut Derelicts gathering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You should see the looks we get going down the freeway.

15. Patrick46

Patrick46

Hey Dan...that's a cool old camper you've got there. ^^^

Have you upgraded the runnning gear at all??

16. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Thank you for the compliment. A couple that I didn't even know and I had only met the husband the week before gave me the camper if I promised to use it as a support rig for the Avanti. When I got it it had a Ford 390 in it and wouldn't pass a gas station or an oil can. I decided to go for reliability and installed the running gear out of a 1961 Studebaker truck. It has a 289 V8 Studebaker engine with a 3 speed with overdrive transmission and a Dana 60 rear axle. If I can get the gears switched from 4.88's I will completely love the truck. The change over also allowed me to switch over the wheels and tires to something a little more commonly available, 8 lug.
    Dan

17. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Oh ya the camper is a low mileage survivor and has always been a camper. Built in 1951/2 and sold through the Fresno Studebaker dealer. Has always been registered in California. I even had a HAMB member share some pictures today of when his dad owned it in the seventies. Got some more history from him too.
    Dan

18. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Does nyone here own an Airstrem or simlar camper unit that slots into a pick up bed? Very interested in sizes and if one would would suit an F100 of around a 51 vintage.

Any pictures available would really help.

Ta Dan:cool:

19. That pic looks like a monkey humping a bunny!

I've got a pair of Dodge Sweptline pickups. I'd love to find an Alaskan pop-up pickup camper for the 3/4-ton Dodge. Always loved those. Very high quality and longevity.

Another cool pickup camper is the Mitchell brand, which were built in Colorado up until around 1990(?) or so. Very roomy, well thought-out, and seemingly everywhere in the Rockies from the '60s through the '90s.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  20. TiredIronGRB

TiredIronGRB

New tow vehicle...

[​IMG]

21. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Yup!I'm getting older and a little more comfort.

22. Taggin along......

Attached Files:

23. Is this what you are looking for?

[​IMG]

Your avitar gets me every time. :rolleyes:

24. modeleh

modeleh

I believe Avion was the only one who manufactured an "airstream style" truck camper as posted by mctim64. I think they started making them in around '67 and probably wouldn't look good on a '51 f100, and would be certainly be on the heavy side for it. Keep your eye out for an Alaskan.

25. zgears

zgears

55 Airstream wanderer.
    [​IMG]

26. Found on the net.

Attached Files:

27. Love the old Scottys. I've had 5 of them and just bought another 10 footer.

I have this one for sale in the classifieds...take a look and lets do some tradin?

Murph

Attached Files:

28. Rob68

Rob68

Love those Shastas. Lookin for 58 myself. And I would have a place to hide from wife!

29. Nice thread! ^^ Digging the wings.^^

30. evs1

evs1

In pic number 2, is there a wider door somewhere on that trailer?