Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects OT: Ratrod reckoning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ELpolacko, May 23, 2012.

1. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

BenD,
    Oops! Elp already worked his magic.

Yes, he has a keen eye and golden engineering touch. He proves you don't need a university sheepskin to understand and practice "engineering". Yes, I own an university sheepskin and have my P. E. license. I've learned to respect knowledge and experience.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Went down yesterday to have a few visitation minutes with my Plymouth and "T" body (oh and my lathe and sandblast cabinet... Crap I have too much stuff stashed at his place!) and got take a look at the finished chassis. I am absolutely happy to say that when aired up to ride height it sits on a rake!!! Of course I didn't doubt for a moment, but 'Polacko nailed that too.

Oh, and - Dr. TRAN!!!

Attached Files:

3. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

What the?

4. Joe Jackman

Joe Jackman
    from SoCal

you and others may or may not find this interesting. i think this type of change is needed.

http://bigbeacon.org/big-beacon-manifesto.pdf

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to add in the time it took going to yard sales and scrap piles to find those "random" bits of scrap and junk.

I wonder what that pile of mess that Steve cut off the car weighs.

6. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Nice work! That thing was a deathtrap before! I think the license plate should say MRFUNK

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

8. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Steve, haters gonna hate, zealots gonna...zeal? :rolleyes:

Anyone who has been to his shop, as I have, would know not only what a craftsman he is, but a stand up guy he is. He has the kind of shop dreams are made of, and he knows how to use all of the stuff in it. Nothing but respect for that.

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Link ask to sign in? What's the dealio.. I dig your drawings, I wanna see it please! :)

10. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

That's just a googledoc's login page. I used my youtube email address and password and was able to get to it. Might just need to make an account.

11. What a great save. My hat is doffed!

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So I've gotten some beef for allowing this thread. A few folks claim that I'm moderating with a double standard. And so I say to them, "Hell yes I do. If you don't like it, piss off."

In any case, my thoughts...

Our boy has turned a rat rod into a modern over-engineered "thing." It kind of reminds me of the way-out show cars of the mid-1960's. Not at all my style. And, yes, not at all what this site is about.

But, the thread remains... Why? Because I think it's an interesting sidebar. I really like to see crazy talent. And that's what our boy has... CRAZY TALENT. The fabrication is simply amazing and really fun to look at.

In any case, that's what it is fellas... a sidebar... one that would probably work better on dogfightmag.com, but one that is here for now.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. pumpman

pumpman

Thank you Ryan!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Ryan, thank you.

You may find it a bit amusing but I have been looking at a ton of early Arlen Ness and Ron Finch bikes lately. I have also studied the fine works of one Sir Edward Roth and that fine gentleman Dan Woods. The former may not be common to the distinguished hot rodder but the latter should most certainly be.

Speaking in context, Sir Woods was one very talented individual. He pushed envelopes open that still boggle minds today. His work in this field was so far in advance regarding the concept of the hot rod that any of his creations could hardly be considered traditional. However, due to the fact that any of his works were so many years ago that they are considered classic and are begrudgingly accepted.

Who wants to burn the Ice truck at the stake for not being "traditional"?

15. ELP Thank you for your post's Being an armature fabricator your posts are an education "How to " for me.

16. Extremely well said. Dan Woods is in the upper, upper echelon of builders, and sadly, has never gotten the recognition he truly deserves. Thank You for recognizing him, and also for your analogy of the fine line that encompasses the term "traditional". It's definitely a moving target, and everyone has his/her own interpretation of the theme.

I just love fabrication threads, and this resurrection/exorcism that you're doing is outstanding. Keep it up!

17. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Epic. Now can we have an update?

Pretty please? :)

18. Mr Funk is pretty sore in his posterior region right now. He needs a bit of time to recover from this, soon we will get back to turning this steaming pile into something respectable.

The good Dr and I are working on saving yet another heap of automotive butchery for a large automotive auction company. It is far off from the scope of this board and my hands are tied tight on the creative of this build. Still it is interesting to see just how many builders out there have few skills but push on well beyond their limits.

19. another heap of automotive butchery "ahoab"

It doesn't look like much on the AHOAB was very square. Makes that fancy table of yours look like a requirement if you want a square frame.

20. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I'm trying to imagine why someone would go out of their way to complain to you about how this thread shouldn't belong here. I'm as disinterested in modern engineered stuff on old hot rods as the next guy but at the same time I praise ingenuity and superior fabrication skills. The fact is that both of these are being offered here for us to learn from and enjoy. This thread isn't about the car. It's about the process. ElP is a master at evaluating a problem and finding a solution, one that fits into the constraint of a reasonable billing period. EXTREMELY hard to do. We can all learn from this thread and I'm grateful he took the time to document this process. The whiners can sit back and learn something.

21. There is problably another Facebook-HAMB hating group being formed as we speak, HAMBISHYPOCRITES. Please like us.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.

Like, this one, for example... I actually and literally saved this dude's life a few years ago. Seriously. Trample. Trample. Trample.

In any case, let the freak show carry on. Don't mind me.

23. belair

belair

Thanks for letting the freak flag fly, Ryan.

24. Wow! Is this for real? I just found this thread and have to go to work. I'll be ack for more nausia. I need to see how it turns out.

25. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Cool Ryan. I'd consider this an anti-ratrod thread and therefore not Off Topic, even though our boy is not traditionalizing the remake.

Can I start an anti-Musclecar thread? Or anti-ProStreet?

26. Obviously way over some people's heads.

27. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

Fantastic thread. I love all the cunning that is going into making this thing look antique but work like new.

ElP, you may also want to look into how the old French 2CV suspension used to work for future 'hidden suspension projects'. It's really quite unique, and you can get them as low as you want.

Finally, I really hope the owner can see the light and accept .... paint, when his car is running again. I'd like to see a nice dark metallic green on that, would look fantastic, and definitely remove any rattish connotations.

PS: subscribed. this is too good to miss.

28. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

The work going in to this thing is mind numbing! As a novice when it comes to fabricating a lot of the pieces I need for my cars, it's inspiring (and frustrating) to see how easy you make this look. Hope to someday have even a fraction of your skills! This thing looks great!!

29. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

It would be a real shame if the owner doesn't take the next step and paint the car. I vision a silver frame and a gold metal flaked body. I wonder if he realizes that the life he saves may be his own............?

30. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

a little OT but a boy here in my town bought a RR "project" that some one built and told him he just needed to finish a couple of little things off to drive it. like wiring windows and such. he was driving down the road the other night and 2 of the poor structural welds on the front end broke and sent him off the road and into the woods. luckily JUST the truck was destroyed, and the boy only had minor injuries. makes you wonder about some things you meet on the highway.