Register now to get rid of these ads!

tig welding question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe Jackman, May 29, 2012.

1. tig master

tig master
    from up north

A buddy once told me you could teach a monkey how to weld. Not true they quit,once they have been burned."LOL"

Tig

2. Dne007

Dne007
    from Houston

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

All I can add at this point is DO NOT weld with a bare hand on the wire.

To learn to feed the wire you can do plenty of practice with a bare hand when you are not welding.

You can also wear a Tig glove and practice feeding the wire while you are not welding as well.

Welding with a bare hand is just a bad safety practice,period.

Learn to do it with a glove and do it right and safely.

As for the constant feed method, you will know if you are doing it wrong. If the rod is sticking and not feeding into the puddle smoothly you will know that you are not carrying a fluid enough puddle.

Again, I refer you back to Oxy Acetylene fusion welding as an excellent learning tool.

Another tip I can give you in regard to feeding the filler rod is freezing the rod in the puddle.

When you are welding and feeding the rod constantly into the puddle, you may feel your hand getting a little close to the work.

If so you can freeze the wire in the puddle momentarily by either backing off the pedal slightly of moving the tungsten (arc) a small distance back on the weld.

Then you slide your fingers up the wire and re-adjust to a comfortable feed position.

Then, come down on the pedal again, or come back to where you were with the arc to free the wire and continue the weld.

Have fun with it, Tig is fun.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  4. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

........ or shocked.

5. Hellbentrodder

Hellbentrodder
    from Cotati

Never weld with bare hands! The gloves I TIG with are Tillman 24cx (The x refers to size s,m,l,xl). They are a kid skin glove, offer great dexterity and I have no problem feeding rod even with half of my middle finger on my left hand gone. Do not use Mechanix or that type of glove, They melt, ask me how I know. Also, always clip the rod in half. There are very few times you are gonna to burn a whole length of rod without stopping and it makes controlloing the rod a whole lot easier.