Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC Harmonic damper install ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnod, May 30, 2012.

1. johnod

johnod

I'm installing a new damper on my engine, different size than original, but thats not the question.

The question is , how do you know when it's on ALL the way?

I'm using a proper install tool, and it's pretty tight, but don't think it's all the way on, is there a way to know for sure?

Thanks

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Add a crank pulley and look at how that lines up with water pump pulley[if you know you have the right pulleys.
    Also here is only about a 1/4in. of seal smooth contact aera showing when seated.

3. Jeff J

Jeff J

Take the center bolt out and look and see if the crank is tight up against the harmonic damper ! Mirrors work if it's in the vehicle !

4. Don't count on pulley alignment to be true based on the water pump for a SBC. Inconsistencies in water pump pulley face placement are very common, new or remanufactured.

5. squirrel

squirrel

When you are installing it, it will be kind of hard to pull it on the crank, then when it's seated it will get even harder to pull on. I guess it's something you develop a feel for?

also the end of the crank will be 15/16" inch recessed into the center of the damper.

6. johnod

johnod

If I take the center bolt out all Ill see is the end of the crank inside the damper.:confused:

7. johnod

johnod

I've got about 5/4s now, guess i need bigger wrench.

Thanks.

8. c6_rob

c6_rob

Yup I agree with Squirrel, the 15/16 what I go by or 0.9375 when checking depth with some calipers.

9. gerry miller

gerry miller

This maybe not the "correct way to put a harmonic balancer on a SBC but i have a square block of steel to protect balancer and wack it with a 48 oz. hammer when it bottoms it tells you by the sound. I have seen many guys strip out the balancer bolt with those Mickey mouse installing tools. Have done hundreds on SBC's with no problems.

10. squirrel

squirrel

That's another way to do it. A 2x4 will also work to cushion the damper.

11. johnod

johnod

I tried the hammer method, no soap, just split a 2x4.

Then I got a bigger wrench, first I removed damper and took some measurements, and marked it with magic marker. Reoiled everything,and away we go, went on fine, tight though.
    I could tell when it bottomed, no doubt at all.
    I took a measurment when finished, I ended up with 1" not 15/16, but it is a an 8" damper so the difference is probably in the thickness of the wheel itself.

But it is definetly on.

Thanks for all the help.

12. steves29

steves29

Use the tool. You can tell when its on. No hammering. That transfers directly to rear main bearing thrust surface!

13. squirrel

squirrel

The thrust bearing can take it....remember, there was no bolt hole in the crank on a SBC until the late 60s, so the screw type damper installation tool is a relatively recent innovation.