Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whose '55 Belair is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Centurion9, May 28, 2012.

1. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

The cool factor is high on this, but the PITA factor is too. What do you do with the top to keep it safe while it's off? This isn't a T-Bird hardtop! :p

2. roughneck424

roughneck424

3. ill be dam if it doesnt have a removable hardtop ...wow
    i read the post that said it was a went back and looked and said there is no way that top is removable and then yep yes it is removable

damn nice looking 55 and appearently very good craftsmanship

4. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

love those Kobota Orange 55 Chevys

Attached Files:

5. Butch M

Butch M

Wow...........thats cool

6. 62dartman

62dartman

Wow!!! I have to say, I dont get too excited by tri fives anymore but this one changes that!! I hope we get some more top info!!!!

7. Tony

Tony

I'd LOVE to see some detail shots of how they did the top work!
    Even as a stock hard top the car is killer, add the removable hard top and it's....man i have no words...just unreal!

Tony

8. spudz

spudz

that top is awesome......

9. erlomd

erlomd

good lord is that cool or what

10. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

When you have money....the sky is the limit and anything is possible. Ive had to wear adult diapers ever since i saw that car............

11. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

... first pic I was like nah... than.. whoa.. jaw on the floor.. secret latches somewhere? Magnetically bonded??? black magic?? I'm thinkin' its too cool for school.. nice

12. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I just want to eat that car

13. fryguy

fryguy

I beg to differ. Having money or aquiring large sums of money doesn't give you magic imagination powers. Having money makes it easier for your imagination to come to fruition but it doesn't go hand in hand. I know guys who don't have a lot of money accomplish great things. Thats a lot of how this hobby goes.

Fryguy

14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Usually guys with removeable hardtops such as Carson tops devise a lifting sling with ropes and pulley's attached to their garage rafters to lift/store the top.

You'd definately need a hand at an out of town show. I bet that roof assy. is a good couple hundred pounds. The scariest factor would bescratching paint and trying to find a safe place to store it. Someone knocking a lawn chair into it could be disasterous.

I'm guessing the chassis has a convertible style X member for support?

What a bitchin conversion. The hardtop body is essentially same as the conv. body from the beltline down.

15. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I hope a magazine does a full feature on this one so we can see good pictures of it with the roof off and how it attaches (and keeps the rear window attached)

I love this car.

16. Chester

Chester
    from At work

If I see him at Back to the 50's this year, I will try and get more pictures of the car.

[​IMG]

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

A hardtop is really just a convertible with a roof, it shouldn't be hard to do this.

There was a Ford Consul Capri back in England in the late 70s had a similar treatment.

I like it.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I always wondered about a roof that was in several sections and that would fold up and retract into a compartment that opened up near the rear decklid.

I know the 57 Ford retractable roof idea took the whole roof into the trunk area, what I had in mind is more like the modern Mercedes or other cars where the roof folds in sections as it retracts.

It would be tough to do, but I bet a talented metalman could do it if he put his mind to it. :)

19. damn that thing is sexy...

20. Ears

Ears
    from ORCUTT, CA

I'd like to see the mechanics behind that removable hardtop conversion. Just too cool..

21. n847

n847

I heard from a fellow HAMB'er this car was on the cover of one of the new mags...Maybe Street Rodder?

22. Nope...it's on the cover of my new Oct Rod & Custom...nice write-up on it too.

23. Fantastic car! Simple mods made a huge difference....

24. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

that is one nice 55

25. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

26. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Thats my pal Randys car. It not rocket science, and its not a high dollar project. Just a few weekends with some talented metal guys and growing enough balls to cut the roof off your finished 55 Hardtop!!!!

The back of the roof fits into a pocket, and 4 studs with nuts hold the whole works on.

Very well finished, and a sweet Rod and Custom feature.

Rob

27. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

I see your car is in that issue NICE RIDE ALSO!!!!!

28. Philroy

Philroy

That is completely AWESOME. I wish I had a hardtop to do this with. I think it might be a bit challenging with a 4dr post. That thing is BEAUTIFUL !!! I about messed my breeches when I saw the removable hardtop. This thing is too cool !!!

29. n847

n847

Any one got more pic till I get out to get that R&C

30. jivin jer

jivin jer

Attached Files: