Register now to get rid of these ads!

Waaaay OT but this vid is cool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, May 29, 2012.

1. Sorry for thr O/T thread but someone sent me this link to a vid of a complete scale model of Skunkworks finiest, the SR-71 Blackbird. This is complete all the way down to the retractable landing gears and miniture jet engines.

It was built by a german engineer and is the neatest R/C plane I have ever seen/heard.

Enjoy
    Benno

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=SDbQ5xvsrIU

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Got my vote! That's my alltime favorite jet! Damn cool!!

3. J Twitero

J Twitero
    from Minnesota

The SR-71 served from '64 on, and is one hell of a "hot-rod" I vote it stays. ;)

4. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

5. One Finger John

One Finger John

Wonder how fast it goes?

6. That would awesome to have at the Holiday Inn parking lot Friday night!!!!

7. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

F$%&ing sick! I want one...

8. WallingfordHotRods

WallingfordHotRods
    from Seattle

I would crash that thing 3.1 seconds.....But it would be a fun 3.1 seconds.:D

9. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

5 Western states to make a "U" turn at speed. They had to let it cool off before getting the pilots out after it landed. When the russians made bigger and better and set a record, we'd go up and break it for them with no mods. I have a friend who was a ground crew chief. The coolest thing, the yellow gear had Nailheads in '64.

10. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Amazing model and some great flying. I saw a SR -71 make a fly by at the Reno Air Show. A impressive airplane.

11. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

12. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

That was very cool!

13. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Holy crap, that is awesome!

14. I actually saw one at an air show down the peninsula from San Francisco before they existed. I was about 9 or 10 as I recall my step brother and I walked into a hanger that I guess wasn't supposed to be open and there it sat in all its glory.

We got caught and were given a ride in a Huey to now remember what we saw. We both sat in the big assed Chopper not remembering a thing. I still don't remember. Hell I didn't even know what I wasn't supposed to remember until I saw an article about them in mechanics illustrated years later.

I read somewhere that they would fly somewhere in the range of Mach 7

15. Now that is just too fuck'in cool!! That thing is wild, and the dude can fly it!!-MIKE:eek::D

16. I was pretty impressed when he landed it. I was expecting a crash landing.

17. badshifter

badshifter

Now you guys know what I do for fun.

18. Watch You Tube? :D:D

19. htweelz

htweelz
    from Maryland

Same here! I prefer my R/Cs on the ground in the 4 wheeled versions.

That is one wicked model to be flying around. Cool video. Thanks for posting.

20. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

I once read that the actual top speed of the blackbird was classified but that it was faster than a 30.06 bullet. I belive it still holds the record for speed between LA and NY!

21. Can you imagine taking your project for a test run and if you didn't get it perfect the first time it would smash to smithereens?
    Awesome

22. outlaw256

outlaw256

never have been interested in any kind of rc be it car or plane but DAMN beaner thats cool as hell.!!!!!! ive watched that vid 3 times now!i see where he spent all his money. he must not have enough money to by longer pants lol. i wonder if he could build me a remote gate opener that would work at around 1000 ft? thanks for the video. i gotta say i liked it. ALOT.

23. They are going faster now or should be. They pulled them out of moth balls a few years back to test some new sort of induction engine or something like that on them.

24. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

VERY COOL, thanks for sharing that with us. Used to make sales calls at one of the Air Force bases in San Antonio that always had several of them sitting around. Freakin' Germans can engineer anything...

25. RamJet1

RamJet1

Kelly Johnson designed the P-38 Lightning- unusual and very effective, the F-104 Starfighter (each wing was only 6' long and 4" thick at the root, other engineers said it wouldn't work) that could go Mach 2, and in '58 designed the SR-71 / A-12.

If you are ever near Tucson, AZ, there is one at the Pima Air and Space Museum. It's inside, you can walk up to it and under it, and usually there is a guy there that worked on the ground crew. He can tell you stuff that will blow your mind!

Thanks for posting the video!

26. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

That's either a testament to how fast it is, or an allegation to how it handles! haha

27. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

The highlight were the multiple controlled stalls at landing.

The lowlight were those pastel capris pants. Wifey neglected to tell him he was in the wrong drawer that morning.

28. cederholm

cederholm

...sounds like my Chevy! :D

Great vid - one of my all time favorite planes!

~ Carl

29. porknbeaner -

Very cool ... but for the full effect (& to be a bit more HAMB-friendly :rolleyes:), he really needs to build a scale "AG330 Start Cart" (complete with Nailhead) ;) :D:

AG330 Start Cart.jpg
    click thumbnail to enlarge

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  30. metalshapes

metalshapes

The SR71 here at the Pima Air Museum has a starter cart with two BBC's in it.

But I think the audio they have of a SR71 being started is with a twin Nailhead powered starter cart.

( just going by the sound they made...
    But I could be wrong about that.)