Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark62

mark62

more from the state of Texas web site

Attached Files:

2. mark62

mark62

A few more

Attached Files:

3. graham_paige

graham_paige
    from Australia

Grandpas Chev Belair

[​IMG]

My grand father brought this one new, he abused it until 1975, when he deid it was passed onto dad, and he used it a 12 months., then passed it on as it was in need of a restoration at that point and we already had a couple of other projects. I often wonder what happened to HNY 659

Attached Files:

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Here's an excerpt of an item Daniel Vaughn wrote for ConceptCarZ last year. In a couple of 'graphs, it pretty much clarifies how Stude wound down, with the last Chevy-powered Canadian-made units rolling out for the '66 model year. I'm sure entire books have been done about Stude's battle to do business in the mass-production, low-priced auto market after WWII. But I think the major final blow came when their dynamic new leader in the early '60s, Sherwood Egbert, contracted cancer and stepped down in November 1963. Genuinely interested in the automotive enterprises, Egbert is credited with sponsoring the Avanti, planning the Sceptre and hiring Stevens to revamp the Hawk line, among other positive moves. Had he been able to remain, I really believe Studebaker could have carried on quite a while. In my daydreams, I can even visualize a '60s union of International, Kaiser Jeep, AMC and Studebaker (the Jeep and AMC marriage did actually happen, of course).

From Daniel Vaughn:

"After Studebaker's South Bend plant shut its doors in late 1963, Studebaker dropped all Avanti, Hawk, Challenger, Daytona Hardtop, Daytona Convertible, and truck production. To 'replace' the sporty Daytona models of 1964, for the 1965 model year Studebaker unveiled the Daytona 'Sports Sedan', which was basically a 1964 two-door sedan in Daytona trim with a special vinyl roof. The Daytona Sports Sedan was equipped with a GM sourced V8 and standard bucket seats. Only 1,626 Sports Sedans left Studebaker's Hamilton, Ontario, factory for 1965.

<!--halfWideBoxBottomLines-->"The Studebaker Lark/Daytona was produced from 1959 through 1966. The Lark and Lark-based variants were the bulk of the range produced by Studebaker after 1958. The Lark name was gradually phased out of the company catalog during the early 1960s, beginning with the 1963 Cruiser. In early 1964, Lark-based models were being marketed under Daytona, Commander and Cruiser nameplates. Production would continue until 1966, when the Studebaker Company ceased automobile production."

Here's another note of at least minor interest, from one Barry Leppan of Burlington, Ontario:

The last Studebaker was built on St Patrick's Day

"According to the Hamilton Spectator, the last Studebaker to be built (a 1966 Cruiser, 283 Chevy V8) came down the assembly line on the morning of March 17th, 1966, in Hamilton, Ontario.

"However, some of our local Hamilton Chapter members, who worked there at the time, will tell you it was really produced the previous afternoon, March 16th. It is most probable that the 16th is correct, and the press release and all the TV, etc. coverage took place the next morning, the 17th!

"The placard for the car in the Studebaker National Museum reads March 16th, 1966. Regardless, it brought to an end 114 years of vehicle manufacture under the Studebaker name."

[​IMG]

Edison and his assistant in the second Stude ever built,
    from the book, Studebaker 1952 100 Years On The Road.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[Incidentally, the last South Bend Stude rolled out on December 9, 1963. Trivia: Thomas Edison bought the second car Studebaker built in 1902, an electric. Henry and Clem had established the firm in February 1852; the company continued to build horse-drawn wagons through 1920! Under various non-Stude ownership, the Avanti has continued to be built, on and off.]

5. 11E

11E
    from USA

Doomed to fail. Even the most primitive designs recognized the need for a toothed drive sprocket (male or female) as soon as the first drops of water fell. This design (assuming it even has the power to do so) will spin the drive wheels inside the track at the first hint of moisture or mud or anything else that inhibits grip from the driven wheels to the track. Probably has some light cross-country advantage in dry conditions.
    "Track laying vehicles" need not only to lay their track, but exert their primary tractive force upon in (which does not guarantee that the track itself will not spin, given the right conditions).

"Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?'

[​IMG]

6. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Early San Diego Carousel
    [​IMG]
    Coronado Tent city 1915?
    [​IMG]
    burros for hire

7. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Wonderland Ocean Beach
    [​IMG]

Roller coaster and water slide

8. swi66

swi66

The Isthmus, Panama-California Exposition, Balboa Park 1915-1916
    [​IMG]
    Thompson's Scenic Railway entrance
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Toadstool ride
    [​IMG]The Yelps (an early Matterhorn without the bobsled ride)

9. MrEarl

MrEarl

My dad and his route truck. The Red Rock Bottling plant in Athens, Georgia. He use to take me out on his route with him when I was 5-6. Practically all dirt roads back then. We'd grab a cold Red Rock, a can of sardines or viena's, some Saltines and a Moon Pie from one of his stops, drive down a dirt road to a little bridge, go beneath the bridge and eat and wade in the creek.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  11. axe grinder

axe grinder

12. axe grinder

axe grinder

13. axe grinder

axe grinder

14. axe grinder

axe grinder

15. axe grinder

axe grinder

16. I finally found this picture of my dad. There was this one and another that I can't find where he was in a white Tee with his cigarettes rolled up in his sleeve and he was holding a beer in that one too!

Attached Files:

• Dad.jpg
      Dad.jpg
      File size:
      74.2 KB
      Views:
  17. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

18. killerbunny

killerbunny
    from serbia

great pic. mate <object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>;)

19. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

20. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

21. 11E

11E
    from USA

22. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

23. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

24. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

25. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

26. 11E

11E
    from USA

Probably among the first U.S. mech infantry troops...same laced Jodhpurs and cavalry leggings as in this picture from 1919. Captains Eisenhower and Patton 4th and 5th from right in second row from front...

[​IMG]

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

What the heck is this aircraft? Spielberg Nazi prop for Raiders? Anyone know? Gary

[​IMG]

28. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

That is hard work from before 1900.

29. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

My Dad, 1920-2012. Wheat farmer, aircraft and car mechanic. WWII veteran as an Air Corps aircraft mechanic in England, mostly on B-17's. And father--that is me on his lap in 1950.

[​IMG]

My Mom, 1915-2007. Teacher, farmer's wife. And Mom. This picture is of them in 1949.

Rest in peace, Mom and Dad. Ivan and Irene.

30. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.