Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Trim Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51 Leadsled, May 27, 2012.

1. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

[​IMG]
    I have a chance to purchase this trim, but it looks like the base of each side is different. is worth over looking for $500.? Is one off a two door one off a four door? It is for my 51 merc.

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

No picture appears.

3. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Thanks Fordy, how about now

Attached Files:

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The way the photo is presented it appears that the top piece of curved trim may be shorter than the bottom one. I can't tell the length of the other pieces, but that is info. you need to know. The top piece makes me think it might be a mixture of 2 door and 4 door trim. The 53 Buick trim that works on a 2 door 49-51 Merc is the 2 door trim from a Roadmaster or another 2 door Buick. In any case, I think you neeed 2 pieces of the 2 door Buick door trim since the one stock piece is not long enough. I recall it's only 48 in. long so it has to be cut and welded using another piece. The trim from a 4 door Buick will not fit on a 49-51 Merc as the pieces are too short and the curved piece is not the same contour as the 2 door curved piece. I am hoping that other HAMBERS who have used Buick trim can chime in here and help. I make these comments based on the set of 53 buick Roadmaster trim that I had a few years ago. If you can ask the seller to send you photos of the curved pieces side by side and also showing how it looks when laying on a flat table top.

5. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Ask the seller for a pic of the two bases only, side by side, and tell him why. There may in fact be a difference between the 2 door and 4 door bases (in which case probably the rest as well), and $500 is a little steep.

6. Jim J

Jim J

I think Fordy is right. at first glance I thought it might me the difference in the angles. the piece in front is laying down, the one in back is standing up. But I see a difference in the contour of the short (under?) side. the back one looks smoother, simple. bottom looks ?compound

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I know a guy who has a set for a coupe, i forget how much he wants.

8. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

Looks like the fender pieces are missing, there should be 5 pieces per side

9. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Both are 2 door, the 4 door would end horizontally near the bottom. The difference is due to different rocker trim; got to be 52 vs 53 or Roadmaster vs Special/Super. In any case $500 is too much for mismatched trim.

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The 2 door 53 Buick has 3 pieces of trim per side if you don't count the long rocker moulding. The 4 door may have 5 counting the little piece at the bottom of the rear curved piece and then counting the rocker moulding..
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...E4PA8ATwqsCSCw&sqi=2&ved=0CE8Q9QEwAA&dur=1653

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl..._DT9XqFYOu8QSNt-3DCw&ved=0CG8Q9QEwAA&dur=2574

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, $500 too much for a little trim

12. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Some folks they can stick anything in a PVC tube and pawn it off over the internet.

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

I think if you look at the skew of the washer, you can see that both pieces are almost as wide as the washer, so it is actually a optical illusion.

14. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not counting the horizontal rocker trim, the 2 door has 3 pieces per side and the 4 door 5 pieces (including the sliver between the doors)

Attached Files:

15. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

Sorry for the misinformation, I was wrong. Should be 4 pieces with the rockers like MMCarnut says.

16. 53buickkid

53buickkid
    from corona CA

Any of you guys happen to know where I can find some 4 door buick trim. Iv been looking forever cant seem to find them.

17. if you are still searching for 4dr trim from a super let me know