Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dry Lakes racer, oakland Roadster show car, Build Thread Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Legendary Lars, May 20, 2012.

1. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Last Year I Got a chance to buy an old Dry lakes racer that was racing in the early 1950's that was then converted into an Oakland Roadster show car, and compeated from 1958 to 1963. The Owner John Zunino Of Stockton California had the car since 1947, well into the 70's His Nickname might have been Big John Zunino, and he was a member of the Kingsman Car club in Stockton. It has been guessed at by a few folks here on the hamb that the customization of the reveals might have been Harry Westerguard, and that the striping was likely Tommy The greek. I am not sure on these facts and am still trying to track down the full history on the car.

Follow the Whole Build on the Legendary Finds

[​IMG]

Now it has come time to get this car back on the road, I want to keep it as close to what it is as possible, there is a lot of neat parts and Ideas on this car.

I have hooked up with my buddy Clay of Claytons hot rods, to get it back on the road, Clay is a master at Traditional Hot rods and we is very quick and very good, so stoked I can have him do the car up right.

Follow the Whole Build on the Legendary Finds

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

3. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

4. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

[​IMG]

The first pick there looks like it might be this same car, but the owners dont match up.

5. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Here is the front end blown apart, we need lots of parts, swapping out the axle as it looks like weak silly putty.

[​IMG]

6. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

[​IMG]

The guy before me was going to street rod this car, I am so glad I saved it from that fate. He did hack out the trans mount though so that has to be replaced, We am upgrading the Master Cylinder and Pedal assembly as well as brake lines for safety. Clay made quick work of the old cross members and all the parts are on order.

7. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we need a new (old) chromed drop axle, dont want to buy an off the shelf one, needs to be old School.

Deciding on tires and rims, chromed 40 ford rims or Artilrey rims. Thinking whitewall for the dressed up look.

8. Nice to see you working towards making this a runner and restoring some of its former glory. I vote for chrome '40 steelies as it is more in keeping with the cars history, where Artillery wheels aren't as suited to that time period.

9. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

I will keep that in mind for sure thanks Jimmy B

10. crashtest22

crashtest22

Go with the 40 Chrome Smoothies. Nice bild keep the pics coming

11. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

The axle looks funny becuase it has been stretched and hammer-formed. It isnt weak.They do look odd compared to what we are used to now,There is a fair chance it was dropped by the same mob that did the one under the car Im doing. I just restored an early fifties built rod with one of these under it, to me it was an integral and valuable feature of the car, and I kept it.
    If you decide to change it out I would love to buy it from you!!

12. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Thanks I think I am going to Keep the Axle just in case someone wants the original one.

13. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Clay is making quick work of the new pedal assembly now that he got the old cross member out.

[​IMG]

14. crashtest22

crashtest22

that is a large hole of nothingness...
    looks like that brake setup should be much more better :)

15. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Like the front axle, I'd keep the original pedal assembly too, in case somebody in the future wanted to reinstall it.

16. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

[​IMG]

Trans is pretty roached, so we will be rebuilding it, or if that fails replacing it.

17. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Engine is a 57 has 2 different heads, also needs a rebuild, gotta find a head for it.

[​IMG]

18. crashtest22

crashtest22

looks like that has not seen oil for a few decades

19. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Great save!

I agree it may be stronger than you think... once you get it running again... see if it will flex under braking or has any handling issues...

20. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Engines are just air pumps, they dont care what heads are on them. Once when I was dirt broke I had a bronco with one 289 hipo head and one 302 big chamber van head on it. Ran like a top ! Neat piece of history you have there. Personally if thats the way it was Id leave it like that

21. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Thanks for the feedback, I still havent heard from the guys son I am hoping he hits me up and has a buncha pics from back in the day, that would be so sweet.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. titus

titus

You should be re-using the axle that came with the car, its a dago dropped axle, just get some new spring perches and a spring and set it up as spring over.

And trust me, its plenty strong, i bet its the same axle thats been in its since it was built, the dagos were very early.

heres a pic of the front end going in my 32 coupe.

JEFF

Attached Files:

23. So YOU'RE the one who ended up with her. I remember the go round when it was featured on BaT as a '32. All the woohah about how it couldn't be authentic with an SBC in it instead of a flathead.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  24. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Me, too (axle AND pedals)
    Why repro shit on such a car??
    I don`t get it

25. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

I would certainly keep the front end as it was. No frame mods and the longer spring base rides nicer. The front end is an important feature of the car!

26. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Here is a picture of the Axle in front of my 28 its about 4 inches wider than the axle in my 28

[​IMG]

27. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Now I am really torn on using the axle that was in there or a new one, Safety first for me, I was told it might break being very stretched thin like that.

28. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

Ok we are going to go back to the Axle that was on there and run that, if it breaks and I die I am gonna come back here and yell at you guys.

29. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

[​IMG]

Brake lines are goin in.

new headers goin in
    [​IMG]

we are definately going back to running the original axle now.

30. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I don't suppose we could talk ya out of the headers... Headman tri-y style ceramic coated and then top coated with header paint to add a vintage touch would work just as well and look era correct...