Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Guy From South Central Texas

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by RamJet1, May 23, 2012.

1. RamJet1

RamJet1

I'm Dave, handle is RamJet1, taken from the engine in my project.
    I started coming here originally drawn by the vintage pictures threads, then was hooked when I saw all of the cool projects in progress.

I have a '55 3100 short step that I started 10 or 11 years ago. A move from Chandler, AZ to TX 8 years ago slowed that to pretty much a stop. I call it a '56 as the cab is a '58 and the rest is 2nd series '55. If I call it a '56, nobody gets confused if it's 1st or 2nd series and all that.
    I bought it as a basket case, so much so that I have the wrong bed ('60-up) and the title to something else. Hard lessons hopefully learned.
    I have a RamJet 350 crate engine, Camaro 6 speed manual, and a '68 Firebird 10-bolt. I put a No Limit Engineering independent front suspension in it and monoleafs out back. To lighten it, and since the sheet metal was so wasted, it has Fiberglass front and rear fenders and hood.

I know it doesn't completely fit the traditional bill, but I was going for a reliable daily driver that was somewhat comfy, partially to please the wife. I've done most of the work myself so far, and most likely will be doing all of the rest as well.

Looking forward to all I can learn, and maybe contribute.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2012
    Scramboleer likes this.
  2. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Welcome to the H.A.M.B.

3. RamJet1

RamJet1

Thanks, Salt.

4. Welcome from Washington!

Damn, for a southern truck it must have had more than its fair share of rust.
    I'll bet that 6 speed is fun to "row". Gotta love the Tri-five pickups......

5. RamJet1

RamJet1

Thanks, 36!

Your right, it should have been better, but it wasn't just rust. Nothing was together when I rounded it up, so I figured I'd do it right and get the fenders, hood, and doors sand blasted. Well, there was a ton of mud (bondo) on them, more than I would have ever guessed, and every compound curve was mangled. Today I might have tried to straighten them out, but back then it was just beyond me.

I haven't driven it yet, under power at least, but I can't wait to row those gears.

6. chopperwolf

chopperwolf

Welcome. Where in South central?
    Nice truck, we're building a buddy's 58.

7. 76cam

76cam

Welcome to the hamb!!!! And yes where in south central texas do you live. I live in Luling and we have car stuff happening all the time so if your close come out youre truck looks awsome.

8. RamJet1

RamJet1

Thanks, guys. I'm near Boerne, NW out of San Antonio. I'll have to keep an eye out for car happenings as that is a good driver for keeping a project rolling.
    I've got to get this thing going and on the road!

9. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Welcome from your neighbors in The Land of Enchantment, New Mexico! Nice truck by the way. I like the look of Chome Steelies and wide whites as I have the same look on my 54' 3100, I also have a 57' 3100 that kinda looks like your's. Check em' out in my album.

10. LowMOJO

LowMOJO

Welcome from San Antonio!

11. shadams

shadams

Welcome, this place is so full of sh...........information it is rediculous. Your initial experience sounds a lot like mine so I feel for you. That is a good looking truck though. Anyway, I work in Boerne and live in Bandera where the cowboys are. I hope to have mine driving by the end of the year but that is assuming I actually work on it. Welding and grinding on sheet metal is not fun when you dont know what you are doing. I am sure I'll see you around when we are up and cruising....

12. StayGold54

StayGold54

Welcome from So Cal!

13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome from Indy.

14. forty7ford

forty7ford
    from Iowa

Welcome from Iowa

15. RamJet1

RamJet1

LoMOJO, you're right here! I've been hitting the New Braunfels and Fredericksburg swap meets regularly for the last four to six years, are there other good ones down here? Thanks for the welcome.

65PANELRAT, looks like you have some nice rides. My buddy back in Phoenix had a '58 GMC panel that he was working on, it was crazy! Unfortunately he had to sell it a while after I left.

Brad, your avatar is killer, I'll have to check your link to see more.

StayGold54, that car is sweet. Thanks for the welcome. Lived in Nor Cal for many years, great weather, crazy people.

Nice 'Bolt (I thnik that's right) TommyD, and thanks for the welcome. You too, forty.

16. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

Welcome from Austin. Nice little town you live in.

17. Wecome from Wisconsin!!!

18. hicklers

hicklers

Welcome from California

19. 4oldfords

4oldfords
    from Texas

welcome from just up the road in fredericksburg, tx

20. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Howdy from Sherman TX.

21. Welcome from Susan & Larry in the MO. ;)zarks

22. RamJet1

RamJet1

Thank you all for the kind welcome.
    I see quite a few that aren't that far away from me, and one that's so far north that he's almost in the next state! Ha ha.
    Looking forward to seeing what you all are working on.

23. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Greetings from your northern neighbor--Oklahoma. Your truck looks great.

24. robleticia

robleticia

Welcome from Angleton!

25. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Welcome from Tennessee .

26. Veach

Veach

Welcom from Mineral Wells Tx

27. RamJet1

RamJet1

Thanks, rustednutz, I appreciate it.

And thank you too, Mike and Veach. (I'll have to look up Mineral Wells)

Robleticia, I've been keeping an eye on your build! It's got to be one of the best looking four doors I've ever seen. Very well done and very inspiring. I've finally finished my side job for a while and almost have the shop straightened up enough to get started on the truck again. Can't wait! And it's build threads like yours that keep the drive going. Thanks!

28. Welcome from North Texas!

29. Just a hop-skip away from me down 281. For those not from Texas, a 45 minute drive is considered "around the corner".

We're not so bad ourselves here in the ATX.