Register now to get rid of these ads!

childern like your Ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scharleyride, May 22, 2012.

1. Me and my girl friend took my 34 pick up out to the grocery store and when we came out two little guys I would think around 10 years old or so was looking at my truck and then they started asking questions, I talked to them for a couple of min then their mom I think, came out and told them to get back into their car. I thought it was cool :cool: as to how much interest they had. Maybe one day they will build some thing cool. So as any one else had some thing like this happen.

2. b-bop

b-bop

Yeah, first thing I do is ask mom if she has a camera phone. If she says no, I ask her if she has email, then I tell the kid to get behind the wheel, and I will send the picture from my cell phone to him. Works every time. I have been corrupting kids that way since my car hit the road :D

3. robber

robber

My yellow roadster ("Sunshine") is a kid magnet:) I think its because it is a bright color and so small that they think it is just their size... They don't always know what a Packard or an Oldsmobile is, but they always know a hotrod when they see one. I like to let them sit in it and tell their parents to get a picture. I know that I am giving them the sickness at a young age and I'm proud to have the opportunity to "spread the hot rod gospel";)

4. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Being that I drive a non Hamb custom at the moment (chopped 66 Bug) I have lots of kids interested in it. One fun thing I do is open the front hood. They have the most puzzled look on their face! Wheres your motor?

Mike

5. Model T1

Model T1

Same here. The two we drive ain't really old but we have fun with them. See avatar. We have four kids. The three older kids that we abandoned in Illinois when we retired didn't like old cars. We adopted our grandson and he's been helpin me since he was 1 1/2. Yes really. He's been going to car shows even longer than that.
    We had so much fun with him looking at cars and asking questions, we do the same with other kids. When they walk up and ask questions and look we ask if they want to get in and pretend they are driving.
    We have to replace the old car dudes with fresh blood so let's start early.

6. Model T1

Model T1

Big Kids--------- Once in a weak moment I bought a Mary Kay, Pepto Bismal, pink 49 Ford coupe. It was as low as you could go without dragging. Well, it did that too. Everything shaved. Merc cruiser skirts, lakes pipes, spots, duel rear antennas, all that stuff, and white R & P interior with white pinstripes inside and out.
    It wasn't a kid magnet. It was a babe magnet. Females of the opposite sex couldn't keep their clammy little hands off it. I told my wife I was gonna start wearing a pink Zoot suit so they'd feel me!
    I only let the gals wearing hot pants or mini skirts sit in it!:D

7. About 2 years ago, I picked up my girls at school (oldest was around 8 at the time). Her and all her girlfriends came running over to the fence. The other girls were very impressed with my old truck. It was pretty cool and maybe would have been cooler if I was a 10 year old boy or a pedophile. (I don't even like to type that word. ICK)

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I do the same thing. Usually, it's the parents who are a little hesitant, but in todays world, it's to be expected. But after talking for a bit and them realizing I'm not a threat, they let the kids hop in and get some pics. Smiles from ear to ear and a moment they won't soon forget. I bet it beats the hell out of the petting zoo.:D

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Dude, you need to reread that last part. I don't think it came out like you wanted.

10. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Most kids I see at cruise nights or just filling the tank don't give either of my cars a second look ??? They just don't seem to be into cars as much as we were at that age. There's just so much other stuff for them to do these days.

11. My other post about the pedophile thing kinda didn't sound quite right. I'm on the fence with capital punishment, but when it comes to pedophiles, I think the only good treatment for them is death.

Anyways, back to the thread. Yeah, kids love my old cars, and I hope it leaves memories for them like they did for me when I was a kid. To tell the truth, some old cars still haunt my brain when I see them today.

12. thanks for your input I will try the getting a picture for them. I know this is not all that have had this happen.

13. Friend had her grandson with her when I had my AV8 at a show a few weeks ago. She said "Do you want to go for a ride in Marty's hot rod?" to which he promptly replied "No it's broken!" :D

[​IMG]

14. hallrods

hallrods

I have a set of twins in my neighborhood a boy Wes and a girl Jackie everytime I open the garage door they are there to greet me. They have a million questions about the cars. One day I gave them each a Yogies catalog they thought it was great asked me if I hade one more for there Dad. Wes told me when he grows up he wants to be a cop or a car builder. I buy them hot wheels once in a while(hotrod ones). They are great kids I miss mine being that age.

15. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

last time i took my viper (just detailed) and girlfriend to the ice cream stand a bunch of boys maybe 6 of them ran over and started to check out the car with smiles from ear to ear as we sat watching from a bench that was 3 parking spots over. One of the kids spilled ice cream on my hood and the others put sticky prints on the doors and window. I watched it all happen giggling with the girl enjoying my black raspberry ice cream. The father ended up herding the boys away with a look of horror at the mess they made of my car lol

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  16. Clevername

Clevername

Yeah sure. corrupting kids... not hot mom of course;)

17. Clevername

Clevername

It's funny when I first got my 60 Impala, my kids 4 and 6 didn't think much about it. Now that they have ridden around in it a bunch they really like it. The older one (girl) is seven now and sometimes I drop her off at school on my way to work. I have a nice stereo in it and I am playing some tunes they like ('Cisco Kid' by War) as we are in the drop off line and they eat it up -all the attention! The crossing guards are cool with it too -giving me thumbs up etc...

Whenever I drive my ride, I just put on the happy face, and get prepared to smile and wave, because there is always someone that's gonna say 'Hey!'

Kelvin

18. When i got my Plymouth Fury my friends came over and their 10 year old son says "Wow that's awesome, we could turn it into a Lincoln!" What do you expect from a kid who's parents are into rice rockets. Still made me laugh.

My kids on the other hand love old cars and going to car shows. My daughter doesn't like the traditional hot rods because they are not shinny. But big loud motors are right up here ally.

19. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Kids. Grown ups. Everyone comes by to watch the build progress. :D

20. Mojo

Mojo

I was sitting at a red light, with a school crossing. Some tiny little girl (maybe 5ish?) looks my car over, and says "nice mustang!". I couldn't believe it. Hope she is around old cars, being able to ID a car at that age is a good start.

21. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

I can give a rats ass if "cool guys" like my car.

As long as little kids and kookey old ladies like my ride... I'm all good.

22. budd

budd

last week i sold a T-sedan, i was trailering it and up beside me drives a mom and her little boy, he might of been ten, two big thumbs up with a great big grin he gives me...

23. Lil32

Lil32

When you are a kid it is hard to see inside our coupe when its out so if a parent is nearby I ask the kid would they like a seat "WOW" is usually the reply ,hey dad get a photo,works all the time.

24. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

last year at a charity show,i have a 37 chevy md,black,44000 miles this little girl,about 7.her mom picks her up to look inside i open the door told her get in.before they were done they snapped prob 10 pics like she was arriving at the oscars.that was fun

25. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I agree.
    Tom

26. sololobo

sololobo

Rusty the Ranchwagon is loved by kids, they holler at me, cool car and do thumbs up! It also rings a bell with older women who all remember a station wagon along the way raising there kids. Oh yeah, old cars rule! ~sololobo~

Attached Files:

27. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

it's been 20yrs since i had a HAMB friendly car,but we do the same thing with our choppers,i spend more time talking to little ones than mom & dads,can't get enough of those ear-2-ear grins :D.we used to do that when we had our old jalopy also, i believe it's "our" job to spread the disease -umm i mean gospel of old iron :)
    HEY when we're gone who who's gonna carry on after us??

28. i had the willys parked in the drive way last halloween and had a 8 y/o hippie chick have her mom take a picture of her standing by it. that was pretty cool.

29. Lild

Lild

I work at a 4-6 grade school and get alot of the students askin about the old valiant. Its fun talkin to kids about the older cars hoping it sparks enough of an interest to keep them thinkin about them and maybe getting one later on.

30. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

This thread is kinda creepy...