Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moving from SoCal to Central Oregon...hoping to connect with fellow trad hot rodders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Jones, May 19, 2012.

1. Just Jones

Just Jones

Hey everyone - going to be moving to Roseburg area last week of June (just in time for Grafitti celebration), but don't know anyone there. I would love to connect with like-minded traditional hot rodders who live in the area.

My daily is a '40 Ford beater pickup, with a y block powered 56 Ford gasser being built and a '29 RPU with an 8ba in the wings. 53 Triumph 6t for fun, too.

I was a member of the SoCal chapter of The Defenders CC. What can you guys tell me about the scene around there...clubs? Music? Events?

Thanks! jones

2. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Better get a map out and look up Roseburg, it's not in central OR. But I think you will enjoy the area. Never lived there but have gone through it many times, lived in Salem for years

3. Just Jones

Just Jones

I stand corrected. Anyone from the Eugene-Roseburg vacinity (which is not Central Oregon) tuned in to the HAMB today? : )

4. I visit my Mom in Central Oregon at least twice a year.
    Last year I went to this :cool: swap meet / Car Show @ the Deschutes County Fairgrounds.
    >>>http://expo.deschutes.org/index.php...ford_v8_club_of_america_western_national_meet<<<.
    Vendors from all over the country, acres of cool cars on the grass, (not blacktop) good deals on cars, parts, tools, antiques, etc.....
    I recommend you bring your own food and drinks because it was hard to find, once inside the gate.
    cheers.

5. Just Jones

Just Jones

Cool...any more Oregon folks? Especially around Eugene Roseburg area?

6. sir

sir

WELCOME TO OREGON!!!...here's A "short list" from the GRANTS PASS AREA...JUNE 2,MISFITS SHOW,JUNE 16th ELK'S LODGE CAR SHOW,JUNE 27-28 FABULOUS 50'S, CAR SHOW & CRUSE, AUGUST 25', 5TH ANNUAL RAT ROD ~O~ RAMA,AND MANY OTHERS...TYPE "SOUTHERN OREGON CAR SHOWS" IN YOUR SEARCH ENGINE AND SEE WHAT "POP'S UP".... CHECK "CRUSE NEW'S" ALSO,...AGAIN WELCOME TO OREGON..YOUR GOING TO LOVE IT!!!

7. I'm over on the sunny side of Oregon.

8. 117harv

117harv

There are a few here in the Medford area as well as several car shows.

9. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

You should be in central oregon, the dry side! But welcome anyway!

10. There is no shortage of rodeos up her. You are in what's considered southern oregon though. Plenty of rod shops and rod runs going on this summer. They call central Oregon the dry side... Lol, I guess snow is dry???

11. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Oh man...I'm in los angeles...I am sooooo jealous!!! I'm trying to get things in order to move up that way in a year or so. Congrats on escaping!!!

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

13. Just Jones

Just Jones

Hey...a HUGE thanks to all the welcomes and for all the great info on shows and so forth, much appreciated! I have had to sell my '56 Ford gasser to help finance this move, but I plan on driving the tires of my '40 Ford pickup and '28 RPU to attend as many events as possible. Looking forward to meeting as many Oregon rodders as possible, especially those who build traditional rods.

14. Just Jones

Just Jones

Thanks man! That is EXACTLY how Ive been feeling, plus the fact that since I am a Northwest native (Seattle, WA) and my parents have had a horse ranch in Oregon for 25 years or so, Im really just homesick as hell and looking forward to going home.

As great as the hot rod thing and the bands are in So Cal, it never felt like home, not even after living here 18 years.

15. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

get out of there befor the shit hits the fan

16. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Um yea , The Eugene area is full of Pabst blue ribbion drinking self endulgent hipsters who hate American cars and would rather ride Jap bikes to the next hate America rally. The kind of men who would have been eaten first by bears and wolves during the gold rush. The women are easy mistaken for ugly men. Good luck to you.

17. Normbc9

Normbc9

If you ever get near Lebanon, OR drop by The Filling Station. Great people, good collection of older Chevy stuff (and a lot of other makes too) and they are very hospitable.
    Normbc9

18. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

Welcome from Winston. You will love the 'burg if you're a car guy. Summers here have a lot going on and Grants Pass and Eugene also, and they are only 1-1 1/2 hours north and south. Lots of good rodder people here, you won't be lacking for friends. The two major clubs here are The Stray Angels, and The Umpqua Flatheads. They put on most of the car events here locally. For a small community, you'd be surprised how many rods and customs there are. Weather isn't bad really. You get about 6 good months of driving time, and 6 months of liquid time.
    I'm the guy that drives the primer black VW trike, ( until my '29 roadster is finished) it's the only one around like it, so you'll see me sooner or later. Welcome

19. vinnymac44

vinnymac44
    from W. Oregon

Welcome. Graffiti Weekend is a blast which really runs most of the week. Wed thru Sun. Lots of hot rodders in the area, a very diverse group.

20. Just Jones

Just Jones

Thanks guys - I've been to a few Graffiti Weekends so I know exactly what you're talking about: I've always been impressed with how many rodders there are in the area so Im definitely looking forward to being a part of it.

I'll be the guy in the old rusty black 40 Ford pickup.

21. Just Jones

Just Jones

Too late!!! The fertilizer was not evenly distributed when it hit, however. More expected soon.

HAHAHA!!! Damn brother, I hope you're wrong, but if you're right Ill drink a beer in your honor and remember that you warned me. Funny as hell, though.

22. A Rodder

A Rodder

Originally Posted by Standard gas&oil [​IMG]
    Um yea , The Eugene area is full of Pabst blue ribbion drinking self endulgent hipsters who hate American cars and would rather ride Jap bikes to the next hate America rally. The kind of men who would have been eaten first by bears and wolves during the gold rush. The women are easy mistaken for ugly men. Good luck to you.

Good Thing I am on the other side of the river in Springfield!

It's not that bad. Welcome to Oregon.

23. Just Jones

Just Jones

^ Well, I know from being up there to visits that, in general, there are a lot of hot toddlers in the area, and it appears there are quite a few events to attend as well! I'm not worried about what the women are like as I'm bringing mine with me and wouldn't trade her for anything.

Mostly looking forward to making some connections with other traditional-minded toddlers and getting back to building rides.

24. Just Jones

Just Jones

Here's a question...any good Honkey Tonk, Blue Grass or Rockabilly bands - or dive bars that have those kinds of bands and are hot rod friendly?

25. silversink

silversink

Who are you trying to kid---you had snow a couple weeks ago haHa
    Just kidding Mike. Hey if you make it to the northwest end of the state give me a holler theres always something happening around here.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  26. Just Jones

Just Jones

Hey buddy, Im from the Northwest. Born and raised near Seattle. My parents have had a horse ranch in Roseburg for over 20 years.

Touch my hot rod with anything less than love and admiration and you and I are gonna have a little come to Jesus meetin', brother. Just sayin'.

27. Just Jones

Just Jones

Thanks! Will do...I appreciate the hospitality.

28. 72IH

72IH

Head for Shedd every thursday afternoon to early evening. Just a bunch of good ole boys hanging out like it should be. Nothing fancy but worth the visit. You will be about a two hour drive from Roseburg.

Good folks down south in that area to.

Supposed to be something every Saturday in Brownsville, I haven't seen it yet, but I dont get into town much. Not that there is much town in Brownsville.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  29. Just Jones

Just Jones

30. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

Welcome to the greatest state in the union! Eugene has its fair share of hipsters and dirty hippies but, thee are a few good rodders down there, if you ever make it out to Salem drop me a line. July 21st is the rust o rama I'm not a huge fan of the name but there are lots of cool rides out there.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2