Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Is The Hamb????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, May 22, 2012.

1. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I was at a small car show on Saturday and a spectator observed my HAMB licence plate tag. He then asked the question . What is the HAMB? I was stunned, I almost blurted out it is just a web site that I belong to. I hesitated because it hit me that it is more than just a web site to me and a lot of other HAMBERS. It took me almost 15 minutes to explain it to him along with a few other interested car guys,that had gathered around. This incuded all the advantages with out getting into the friends you meet on the HAMB adventure. Point is we sometimes take it for granted without appreciating what we have here. :eek:

I think we may have a couple of new members soon.

Attached Files:

2. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

I had my HAMB shirt on at the Lonestar Roundup and someone asked me what HAMB meant, they had no clue. I was kind of shocked being the Roundup.

3. outlaw256

outlaw256

the hamb started out as just a web sight to me but as i got more into it.it has become almost a way of life.and that kinda interfers with me being a hardcore biker.lol

Sandgroper likes this.
  4. "Spreading the Gospel" Good job.

Sandgroper and hrm2k like this.

5. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

6. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

ITS MY BIBLE.....It to me is a learning and social group, That helps me. I try to help people with problems I have came across in my yrs, and MANY people have helped me with problems I have had. I tell EVERYONE about HAMB. I'm completely into the history and stories of yrs before my time. Its great to tslj to people that actually lived it. I'm only 40 so i missed the great eras. But that is the stuff I am interested in....My wife calls HAMB my girlfriend ....I am addicted to the endless knowledge from every GEARHEAD out there....THANKS TO ALL JEFF

hrm2k likes this.
  7. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

we wouldnt be building the car in the garage if it wasnt for this site. its and endless encyclopedia

8. millersgarage

millersgarage

hahahahahaha:D true

I often explain the HAMB, and still get an odd look from the guys I am explaining it to.

9. I was asked by a friends wife one day. I told her it stands for Humping A Monkey Backwards. She almost choked laughing.

I finally explained the best I could, but I think she liked the first description better.

10. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I find myself having to "warn" people about the potential for rudeness toward new people more and more all the time, do any of you feel that way? Seems there has been alot more bashing on here and a lot less help in the last year or two. Jim

sport fury likes this.
  11. slammed

slammed

The criteria must be understood by everyone. Modern, slick, 'rods', 18"+ mag wheels are not for here. When national event's are covered, many posting (no matter how nice) are not criteria. Even 'traditional' themed shows are being bombarded by cars nowhere close. Learn. Should have seen the bashing back in '04 and earlier.

12. Weasel

Weasel

It's the traditional hot rodder's Oracle of Delphi - the fount of all knowledge....

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You're kidding right??:rolleyes:
    10 years ago I was SCARED to post my intro because I knew how they treated newbies from lurking so long. These new nancy boys have it EASY.

lothiandon1940 and hrm2k like this.
  14. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

Haha. This place is like Times Square, it's cleaned up so much from the early days.

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It's funny, but we who are on car forums automatically think every car enthusiast spends time on these sites too, but that is not always the case. Lots of times when I run into a car owner who has an oldtimey kind of rod or custom I will ask them if they are on the HAMB and more often than not I get a blank stare. They usually say they don't do computers much or that they have never heard of it.

I guess some people actually go out into the garage and work on their cars instead of sitting here every day and night like the rest of us. :eek: But that car work is HARD STUFF ! :p

Don

16. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

A place where you can find limitless information about traditional hot rods and the occasional how to on killing a black widow spider, using proper grammar and answering domb questions...

17. Some people just dont know....

18. Ha ha ha!!!! :) If they only knew. Jay Carnine convinced me the initiation was worth it. Surprisingly I got off easy for back then.

Hokey Ass Message Board. Not so hokey anymore.

19. outlaw256

outlaw256

the hamb has saved my ass countless times. i have never seen the amount of info anywhere else.most times i dont have to ask a question, just use search and i find out what i need.i average about 6 hrs a day on here. about 3 hrs in the early morning, like before daylight and about 3 hrs after we come in from the shop. i have fallen asleep at the computer and slammed my head into the desk more than once lol but no longer than ive been here ive seen it change some. seems like more talk about slamming the frame and 17s etc.if the boss dont say nothing then im not either. i have even stayed at home when i was invited to go on a few runs with a m.c. club to work on our cars.wouldnt have done that before the hamb.!!

20. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Even in the HAMB people need to be told over and over that it's a tradional forum. It has changed alot over the years, and we are constantly being attacked by ratrodders and streetrodders, so in a way we are helping people by being rude to them, either you have it or you don't, you cry about it or you get over it and listen carefully to what this place is about.

21. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I find most of the bashing is justified by some of the dumb questions, I still find the obtained information invaluable, some of the comments hilarious and entertaining. The actual live bodies I have met are pretty cool too. :cool:

22. chevy3755

chevy3755

when i joined i thought it was a little snobish.......but after understanding the therory.....thats not the case now.....SOOOOOOOOOO much info to be had here.....roll on H.A.M.B.

23. Patrick46

Patrick46

I'm also impressed by all the different levels of traditional hot rod nutcases we have on here...and that's what I find myself telling so many people about when discussing the HAMB.

You've got the hot rodders, the drag strip folks, the land speed freaks, the fabricators, the motorheads, the OSE collectors to name a few...and then there's the rest of us who I think fall into a mix of all of those catagories.

Yep...I think the HAMB is a pretty cool place!! I'll be sticking around for some time. :cool:

24. Jimv

Jimv

HAMB has pulled me out of alot of jams!,Being one of the first 500 i can honestly say that its more "helpful now then it was" It was almost like a "chatroom before.
    I started out by asking " how do you put Olds valve covers on a SBC"!! Talk about a fuck up!!LOL.
    But!! I still think we need "germ" back!!
    JimV

25. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

The blank stare is understandable. The name is misleading.

Makes it difficult to recruit around lunchtime, too.

26. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Thats due to people spending way more time on here and less time outside turning wrenches :rolleyes:

27. Dr. Seuss fanatics with hairlips. Samb I amb. :rolleyes:

28. Hokey hell i thought it was honkey! My bad!

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife thinks it's the HAM where I spend way too much time. She does know that it's about traditional cars and we go to Billetproof and the East West no Overheads because of contacts on the HAMB though.

Wearing a HAMB shirt to a swap meet gets a lot of comments from guys who check the classifieds often or daily but never post on the board.

My two running buddies don't have or want traditional cars so I don't consider spreading the word to them. But I don't tell my sister where I go with my boat either. Some things you just keep to yourself and go on about your business.

To me the HAMB is the encouragement to get out and build my truck the way I always wanted it without being caught up in the trend of having to have the "latest" this that or another or be considered out of date. The old stuff that has been around forever and was pulled out of someone's discard pile and buffed off works fine and is often well appreciated.

The only gripe I have is about that little cadre of individuals who will rave about the work of one of our pro builders in one thread and then slam a guy/gal for having any pro work done on his or her car in the next thread. Not having mad rod building skills shouldn't keep one from owning and driving a traditional rod or custom.

30. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

not sure how it was then.... but try posting as a newbie over on Pirate4x4... Them boys will run you out of town with a rusty blender and bleach :eek: Its funny almost every time.