Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HENRY J Disaster Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, May 20, 2012.

1. Phil;
    Your new axle may come with a U shaped (piece of flat stock )clamp that bolts on the inside to avoid this from happening..(unless the bearing goes too !)
    Glad your ok....

Rick
    ========================================

2. One Finger John

One Finger John

In the first photo, is there a little bit of air under the left wheel? When you want to, could we have a shot of the broken axle and what kind of rear end it is.

John

3. John as soon as I seen it I said "hey it looks like it pulled that wheel !"

To avoid another thread like the first disaster, I'll just say that it was a 9 inch with forged axles. You can clearly see if the axle was magnufluxed or a fellow had ex-ray vision you might have picked up a weak spot right outside the bearing. It broke there, like right between the retainer plate and bearing.
    I welded a bolt to the axle to be able to hook the puller to it to get it out of the housing. No pictures of the axle itself.

4. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Hey man I'm really sorry to hear about this. Believe me when I say I understand. I got mine into a guardrail during one of my first shakedown runs and it SUCKS! I didn't get into the body but I bent an axle and worse I broke my confidence. I was a bad mother fucker until that happened and then I wanted to just give up and sell my car. Well...I didn't sell it and now I have one of the fastest nostalgia cars in the country and having the time of my life. In short...keep your chin up pal. It will get better.

5. jgang

jgang
    from hamburg ny

glad youre ok phil. the soreness will go away and you will be back on the henry j in no time at all. if you need me to, i can come over and give that fucker an attitude adjustment likes its nobodys business/

6. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

That sucks, on another note invest in set of mosier axles, the last pair of Mosier street/strip axles I got were about $400.00 for the pair, but are well worth it.

7. Model-A-Bomb

Model-A-Bomb
    from Orlando,FL

Phil you are a walking (or maybe rolling in this case) Murphy's law. On the plus side you're ok, hell at this point next time you take her out nothing else can go wrong. Knock on wood.

-Nick

8. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Holy shit! I'm sorry this happened and I did not see that coming. But, look on the bright side. You picked a car where the quarter panels bolt on.

9. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

After watching Gordon Crowe break an axle and roll his car (again) at Lancaster, I decided right then and there that I'll be getting Mark Williams axles for the Austin.I feel bad for you Phil. I would feel worse had I been there.

10. Although nasty, if you can't find a desent quarter pull this one off and beat it back out. It's fixable! If you can't do it, pull it off and bring it with you tomorrow. When you're done at work come over, have a beer (or 3) and I'll do the metalwork for you.

You can still make it to Thompson.

11. Thanks Greg but I only got X-amount of money to go around, I pulled money out of my race trip fund to buy Jen that jeep for mother's day. Not enough left to buy axles and pay for the trip and we know I need axles a little more at this point.
    Today I'm busy with MRI/CT and then doctor appointment, nothing is getting pulled off any time soon.

12. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Take him up on that...its totally fixable!
    I'd buy that to reuse if I had a rusty HJ!!!

13. One Finger John

One Finger John

Hope the MRI and CAT SCAN aren't related to the strip mishap. Some rest and ibuprofen can do wonders.

14. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

On the bright side your half way to building a boat tail henry J

Glad only your ok, it could have been worse.

Nice car
    Godspeed
    MrC.

15. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Racing, Where do you think all this white hair came from?Got out of the karts and sprints.Now Geoff does Motocross, Oh my heart.

Well Phil, We are all glad it wasnt half track.Get your back rested .Car will survive and run again.You,re no quiter!!

16. n847

n847

Sorry to hear that...Glad you and it will be OK!

17. As well as a shot of Jack! :D

18. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Glad to hear you are ok. The car can be fixed. Welcome to the wonderful world of drag racing. :D

[​IMG]

20. LZ

LZ

LIPPY..........when did you have-drive a Fiat??:confused:
    Have any Pics?
    thank you
    Luke

21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Hahaa, you can tell a real drag racer by stories like this one.

Hope you get it buttoned up soon bud. Take some aspirin.

22. psychopathic51

psychopathic51

Man Swade hate to see this! I know how it goes when everything seems to go wrong, it gets discouraging at times. Hang in there and it will all come together and when it does you will be smiles from ear to ear and glad you stuck it out!

23. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Phil, Glad you're OK, and the J can be fixed.:)

I'd relocate that fuel filler tube to the rear of the car,

'cause that scares the crap out of me :eek:, especially

since you already tagged the wall (once) ;)

24. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

you may need wheelie bars before ou are done with this car....if the axle stayed you may have had more air....as I told you glad you are ok,

25. One Finger John

One Finger John

Do you have a trans brake in the car and what rpm limiting chip is in the ignition set up? Both trans brake and shift limiter.

I'm thinking that a softer (foot brake) leave would be better. Less shock to the driveline. Maybe borrow an axle and do a little test and tune. Run a less aggressive tire. Something that will give instead of bite. Maybe a street tire w/treads.

How ya feelin' today? :)

P.S. 2x the gas cap advise.

26. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No sweat, Phil - you're the "Come Back Kid" ! You'll get it fixed and be back on the track in no time. Just another challenge...........................

27. cederholm

cederholm

Holly crap! ...glad you're okay though.

28. Saxxon

Saxxon

Glad you're ok... sorry about the car.
    C-Clip eliminators ?? I sure hope you are going to add those with the new axle. Anyone running slicks with any kind of power should consider them

29. There are no C-clips to eliminate in a Ford 9".

Those are for those junk GM rear ends. :D

30. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

was the axle a stock axle,or aftermarket?