Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where there's a will there's a way: My New 34 Coupe!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-40, May 20, 2012.

1. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Seems like every single time I find a car I wanna buy, I don't ever have the money. However, seems like there is always a way to get the car. This time I was not so sure.
    I recently caught word of a 34 coupe project that was going to be for sale. My Dad, Brother, Lenny and I drove down the street to take a look at it. When we arrived the old timer told us that there is no longer room in the garage for the bare metal car, so it sits out side under a tarp. I was a little nervous pulling back the tarp. Luckily it was only just starting to surface rust. The guy was going in a street rod direction with the car. IFS on the front, 8'' in the rear, 302 ford, C4 tranny. Fiberglass: Grill, running boards, deck lid, garnish moldings, splash aprons, front and rear fenders. Nothing wrong with that stuff, but I get a little different plan forming in my head :D
    I was very interested, but having pretty much no money to my name was going to make it tricky to get. I struggled for a couple days on how to come up with the money. Made some phone calls, went to the bank... nothing seemed to be working. I put two cars up for sale with the help of my brother, but was afraid the 34 would disappear in the mean time. My brother and I went over again to take another look at the car. The car looked even better this time around. I asked if he would hold the car with a down till i could scrape up the rest of the money. He said yes, but what he needed i would not be able to come up with. As I'm about ready to tell him I was not going to buy his car and thinking dam, so close, my brother pipes up and says "Is tomorrow OK to bring a down over?". He lent me half the down. I borrowed the other half from my awesome girlfriend. So the next day i take the money downed over to the guy. He asked where my trailer is? He said he trusted me and I was able to get it that day :D I now have both cars sold/pending payment on wire transfers. Here's some pics. stayed up to 3:00am the first night mocking it up on an I beam axle:)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  2. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I just love it when a wish comes true. Looks to be a very solid start.

3. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Nice!!! I don't know what you paid for it, but you scored! And awesome for everybody to pool their $$ for you to get it!

'33-'34's are my favorite! I'd take one over a Deuce any day...although, I'd love to have a '32 too.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Wow, I'd be happy with that.

5. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

i always wanted a 34. that looks like a great car

6. forty7ford

forty7ford
    from Iowa

Nice, I'm in the crowd that would rather have a 33/34 over a 32 any day.

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

AWESOME man, looks like one hell of a start!

8. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

good talking with you today! I had to get on and see your new project, looks like a great one good luck with the build. Bob

9. couverkid

couverkid

Corey it looks good. Congrads on a neat purchase.

10. elvis2

elvis2
    from midwest

What a great find "just down the street".I've built hotrods all my life and that is a long time. You look at this car and wonder how did it ever come this far, and look this good for so many years...as a project no less. Do it up man

11. Congrats! Looks nice.

12. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I agree totally! Awesome car dude!!

13. 117harv

117harv

Great score, now do your duty as a HAMBer and add pics of it to all the 33-34 threads:)

14. Way to go. Love it when a plan comes together!

15. I'm so glad you got that thing, nothin beats a 33-34 in my book.

I have know about this coupe for about 10 years. It was never for sale although I did inquire on it from time to time. The guy my Brother got it from, got it from a guy about 40 years ago who drug it out of a dump! A lot of work has been done to it, and a lot of work is still needed, but man 34 coupes are not growing on trees anymore! Especially ones within walking distance of your house and clear titles :D

16. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Wow...Great find. And when you stop smiling...marry the girl, and thank the brother. Special people who will sacrifice for you are hard to find. And...keep us posted with updates. These stories give the rest of us a little hope.

17. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Congrats!! She's a beauty, and a keeper.....the car AND the girlfriend!

18. Cool. Another 5 window on the Hamb. These things are growing like weeds. It will be good. Full speed ahead!!!!!

19. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Thanks guys. I love 33/34s. Here's a pic of the power plant. Should make that coupe scoot!

Attached Files:

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

34 Coupe....check!
    Olds engine.....Check!
    Tri Power.......Check!
    Wilcap Starter switch plate.....Check!
    Indy front end scrapped.....check!

Yep, sounds like the making of a nice hot rod!!! Congrats dude!!! So happy for you. Your brother is gonna need to take his Suburu to keep up with that rocket.

21. With gas prices the way they are, I think I'm gonna put a Subaru in my 34!

22. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Great score, good on you scrounging the money up as I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing it's at the tip of my fingers down the street. Congrats man!!!

Love them dam 5 windows!

23. He's looking for a decent deck lid, firewall and the 4 side garnish moldings if anyone has anything.

24. chris98006

chris98006
    from Seattle WA

Great meeting you this weekend and sweet looking ride! It should be a blast this summer!

25. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Good score! If you want to go with a six carb manifold on that Olds engine, I've got one.

26. Congrats - I kinda gotta thing for 5-windows.

It'll be nice to see another one come together on the HAMB.

I don't think I slept well for a week after I scored mine. I kept going out to the garage just to stare at it. How many times have you already built this thing in your head?

27. brady1929

brady1929

awesome hot rod

28. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice score! And in your back yard too. I found mine the same way but I had been 50 feet from it and never knew it was there. But once you do find them its all thats on the brain.

29. mikeallcars

mikeallcars