Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Taurus cooling fan, WOW!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buzz bomb, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Dudeee Yes. I'm slated for one of these soon! That shroud they have looks like it will mate up pretty good too !

2. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

Nice! Hope i can :)remember that when the time comes.:cool:

3. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Yea, this is true...
    But Rockauto.com has um for like $60 new :D

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Electric fans are for late models fellas.

5. bbfmavrick

bbfmavrick

I scrap about 100 cars a year and get these fans from time/time. But,I like the Mark V111 lincoln:) fans better. They are two speed AND reversible.

6. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

If you can't find a Taurus in a Pick-N-Pull or what-have-you, the Mercury Sable used the same fan I believe. Dunno if that's been mentioned already or not. I've also found that Mercedes-Benz and Volvo fans pull a bunch of air as well (again, probably due to a smaller grille opening, and I'm running a dual electric Benz setup pushing through a '71 Boss Mustang radiator on an OT '66 drag car I'm working on, and it really does the trick. Set it up as a pusher because I haven't got much room between the engine and the radiator due to the B.F.T. (GTP38) and all its plumbing, so the mechanical fan had to go away. Just reverse the wires and your puller turns into a pusher.

7. bbfmavrick

bbfmavrick

After reading this post it reminded me that I should be saving all those relays,because they sure do come in handy sometimes. Thx Guy's for this thread.:)

8. Taurus fans are the best if you have the room for then. The base part is you can them brand new at NAPA Auto parts for around $130

9. tjm73

tjm73

Research I did for my OT Fox Mustang pointed to the Ford OE fan out flowing all other fans of equal size and the aftermarkets did not match the Ford fan in a 1:1 CFM movement capability.

10. daren

daren

Have one in my 50..no room for mechanical fan. As already stated...good wiring and relays....and i upgraded to a 120 amp alternator. Its the dirty harry of electric fans..it will blow your head clean off! Usually 20 dollars all day long at the the junkyard.

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Anyone have a readable wiring schematic of the fan, relay & switch? Thanks

12. x2

Preach it!

13. I'm already running a slim 16" Spal electric fan, but I also picked up a Lincoln Mark VIII fan from a buddy who was gonna toss it.

Once I get my vent windows, my next project will be saving up and researching a radiator upgrade for my car, and then I might try fitting this other fan too. My combo does not like slow moving traffic and 90F temps, wasn't over heating but it wasn't able to knock the temp down in traffic to below 200... Which makes me nervous.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

15. I'm betting the Taurus fan adds a few HP in thrust when it's on high.

17. Preach it Kerry.

18. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Good. you put mechanical fans on yours and I'll put electric ones on mine. I like steak, you like lobster........who is right ? :):)

Don

20. 46stude

46stude

Hilarious that the owner of the HAMB stepped in & said something, but some guys still don't get it. Really hilarious.

21. Model T1

Model T1

Right Don. We drive em and like to keep cool and look kool! It aint' kool drivin to the steak house runnin hot as a lobster in a pot~!:D

22. I think if you look at what Ryan drives and preaches you MAY get it. :rolleyes:

23. Model T1

Model T1

I suffer from AADD (automotive attention defecit disorder)."
    I'm a hotrodder. I can change. If I want too! <!-- / sig -->

24. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

From his posts about his drives, it doesn't look like he has to drive in traffic much.

25. Model T1

Model T1

I ran mechanical fans all my life in Illinois. Most of the time the cars ran cool. My 39 Ford with 283 and tri-five radiator got hot and split the top tank in heavy traffic. I parked it in 76 or so till I got around to fixing it. Still ain't got around to it.
    As a hotrodder living in Florida, mechanical fans don't always keep the engine cool. Why not do as hotrodders did back in the good ole days, use what works best? I agree, electric fans look ugly and out of place but work.

26. Seriously??? Around here we like to run them hot and look like dorks!!! Good grief!

27. Model T1

Model T1

The picture on my avatar is the north end of the seven mile bridge in the Florida Keys. From our home to Key West is over 450 miles and it is usually over 90 degrees. The photo is a photoshop thing but each car was driven to Key West and back several times. Without an electric fan we would have never made it half way down. Both run Chevy V-8's.
    You can only get so much air thru a radiator and it's not always enough with a fan turning 600 to 1200 RPM in heavy traffic. It may be wrong. But I've done lots of things that are not right in my lifetime.

28. Get a different radiator, change your distributor advance from ported to direct vacuum, etc. My blown hemi w/mechanical fan can sit in traffic in 100+ temps and never get over 195.

29. Well that's nice for you.
    Not everything is as simple as you make out.:D

30. 46stude

46stude

Awesome low buck info on using a Taurus fan. But bottom line is- the HAMB is not the place for it. Electric cooling fans off of a Ford Taurus are NOT on-topic here.

Unbelievable that some of you guys are fighting that reality.

Great place for that tech:

http://www.dogfightmag.com/forum/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.