Register now to get rid of these ads!

lowering 1963 mercury monterey

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52plymouth, May 19, 2012.

1. 52plymouth

52plymouth

Any info would be very appreciated thank you

2. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

Check out the Los Boulevardos car club forum. This a traditional lowrider board with lots of good information

3. 52plymouth

52plymouth

Trying to get info on removeing front coils.not taking much out.

4. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Wow, my first car. I would like if you could post a before and after shot. Mine had a 390 in it, loved the gas, I remember 8-9 mpg! Gas was .54 a gallon but it was all relative, I was in the service then and took home 132.00 every two weeks! Good luck with your car, nothing like a spacious cruiser.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Pretty sure the Aerostar coil deal works with these cars toget a bit of drop fairly cheap, just seach it on here. Also, make sure that your shackles in the rear are pointing up as they were intended. Seems every one of these cars I see out in the real world has them flipped downward and the tail end raised because of it.

6. 52plymouth

52plymouth

I searched but couldnt find any info on here for this car

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Put a jack stand under the rear bumper diagonally from the spring you're going to remove.
    Now jack under the lower control arm, compressing the spring.
    Disconnect the shock, then the lower ball joint.
    With the floor jack placed from the outer side, it will roll inward as the control arm pivots in an arc, releasing the spring.
    If you don't place the diagonally located stand under the rear bumper, you will not be able to compress the coil spring: this is done to take advantage of total car weight, as the car will otherwise 'see-saw' over the center of the rear axle, raising the front of the car and not compressing the spring.

8. 52plymouth

52plymouth

thank you for info very appreciated

9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The Monterey used the same chassis as the Galaxie's which are much more abundant. Try searching for lowering tips on '60 to '64 Galaxie's as well.

10. HotRodHooligan13

HotRodHooligan13

wait are you suggesting replacing the original spring with a spring out of a ford aerostar? interesting :rolleyes:

11. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

dont do it ... it lowered my 64 Galaxie way too low. Look at my pics gallery called Loooooowww.

12. Honlude

Honlude
    from York pa

We cut 2.5 coils off ours to get it to the right height , we also went from 14" wheels to 15" and a slightly taller tire . We started with 1 coil and kept cutting more till we got where we wanted