Register now to get rid of these ads!

should i use a free jag irs on my rpu?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by malaguena, May 19, 2012.

1. So my buddy hasnt made any progress on his rod in 5 years, as it is its just a 215 buick with no heads and a jag independant rear laying in the mud. He never found a body. He said i could have them both if i wanted and i said yes. Now its just a 2 1/2 hour trip up there and then that back.

I assume the rear will be the worse for wear, sitting outside in the rain with no rims on it for this long, but im sure it can be ressurected.

Im a novice builder and wouldnt normally go for one of these (i think theyre over used in rodding) but its free and has the mounting cage on it. I think it would be really easy to use in the 39 roadstered dodge cab i have. Just hard welding the cage to a step in the frame right in back of the cab (no bed).

Is there any reason i SHOULD NOT use this? Oh and i realize it has a crummy 2.88 rear ratio. But i read it will use a standard chevy yoke to adapt it to another driveshaft.

2. Ralph Turnberg

Ralph Turnberg
    Member Emeritus

Had two rods with them. Believe they are basically Dana 44's. A little complicated to set up correctly (shims) but were fairly reliable. Halfshaft u-joints were G.M. Sure looked good with chromed halfshafts. Calipers can be expensive. I ended up replacing them with some from a Ford Capri. Maybe they aren't in vogue now, but neither am I.

3. David Chandler

David Chandler

In the 60's they were popular.

4. Well FREE is always popular with me.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If you are doing a late sixties-seventies themed build, it would be great. If you are planning on bias-ply WWW's, steel wheels, and 97's, its gonna look like total ass.

6. Well ive pretty much decided on a 4 barrel 360/auto combo ive found for cheap. Then ill just order a drop tube axle when ive the cash next month. Its just a 34 chev grille, roadstered 39 dodge truck cab with 4 inches out of the windshield right now. Im in the parts gathering stage right now and my main reason is i think this would be rather easy to install, plus, i like free.

7. And even more so now.
    Just search for Jag rear on here and there are dozens of threads.
    I have Jag front and rear in my Lincoln

8. btt is there a REAL reason, mechanically talking, that i should not run this? I know they were overused for street rods and all that but.. im getting this for free and am a novice. I think it would be a good option for me. But im seriously asking a question here. SHOULD i run this rear? I have a rebuilt 39 plymouth rear that i was gonna use but..im scared the 360 will blow it.

9. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i would just go pick it up and then decide if it's right for your current project. i don't think that they're over used at all. plus thats not a really good reason to use or not use something. i would rather see a jag over a nine inch anyday, unless your build is a 40's/50's vibe.

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

GO for it....I believe there's still a lot of pieces available for them. And, you can't beat the price,........

4TTRUK

11. Thanks dude, yeah. I'll pick it up for sure and maybe run it. The gearing sucks, but eh, that could be changed after she is up and running.

12. 5window

5window

I'd go for it. If not for this project, maybe the next one. You can always sell it for what you paid for it. :) As for "overused", you could argue that Model A's, Deuces and SBC's are overused, but we're still using them anyway. good luck.

13. I'd say no - unless you are building to a 60's-70's period. Maybe get it and sell the thing to fund the project.....

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They are a good smooth riding suspension with good brakes. You won't blow it, they used them in Jags with V12s and in blown big block hot rods.

IRS and solid axle front suspension seems a little weird but a lot of 70s cars were built that way.

There is no reason not to use it, except the age and parts can be expensive. As others pointed out, UJ's etc are stock American parts. You could also try a search for a place called Autohaus in Arizona. They have real good prices on OEM quality parts for top of the line imports. I have bought Mercedes and Porsche parts from them.

15. 1949*john

1949*john

your hot rod , your choice

16. Weasel

Weasel

I love em and you can get 3.54 ratios - also had 3.77 but rare as in 4 speed manual overdrive cars only such the S type. Nothing wrong with a pussyfoot in my book....

17. It realy depends on your style your building. I would certainly give it the fish eye to consider. Lots of detailing thou. I'm running a c-3 vette in my rpu. 30 yrs ago it was trick and around here it still is. I also run a mor-drop beam axle. I always like the transverse spring front and rear axle for a exposed rear of a rpu it looks great. A jag with a axle might be a little wierd thou. The vette is more forgiving in my opionion. Rides nice to, in the back.

18. A few pics of yesterday and today.
    Lots of 't' buckets ran jags and axles thou

Attached Files:

19. percifab

percifab
    from Dixon,CA

If you strip off the mounting cage and build your own links and mounts they dont look bad. If you run a big tire the outer career cant handle it and they will vibrate.

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Once set up correctly they are great. I would rebuild the calipers and emergency brake.

21. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

If you like it and it's going to help your build then use it. Not keen on stock axles on show in rods but thats just me. A Jag IRS does ride nice, never heard anyone unhappy with the ride it gives. I'd definatly weigh up the rebuild cost against finding something else in a pull apart or similar place though. Jag stuff isn't cheap.

Good luck:cool:

edit.... Thats 400 posts, i'm now a member!!!!!

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  22. warrjon

warrjon

I have just rebuilt mine and these things are as strong as. especially if you have one from the V12. There are 2 different diffs that Jag used most will be GKN Sailsbury identifiable by the 5 bolt output flange and a drain plug. And the Dana which was only used for a short time in the late 80’s

]Both diffs can be rebuilt using Dana 44 parts although the pinion bearings are larger in the GKN. The later GKN units (mine included) run a diff mounted speedo pickup from the hemisphere.

23. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

any one know where i can find the H.A.M.B.?

24. Top of the page mate ... or try the search function where
    you will find about 20+ threads related to Jag bits used in
    american cars and trucks since the early sixties. :D

There is even threads on rat rods ... :rolleyes::rolleyes: