Register now to get rid of these ads!

is this a commercial '33 or '34 grille"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ken Carvalho, May 18, 2012.

1. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

I have this grille shell that came with my '32 and have searched all the posts relating to commercial '32/33/ and '34s, but not positive of what it is, so here are pics of what I have. I think its '34 as it has the mounts for the trim around the grille "insert" area. But the top portion where the "sculpted" surround around the radiator cap looks odd?
    I also have the Bob Drake chrome radiator ornament with P/N clearly cast into it as 46-8215 which is described as " 34-35 Die cast, chrome, pick up and truck " in the parts book. But it does not fit correctly on the grille shell. Also I am under the impression the "V-8" emblem is mounted on the center of the grille bars, but there are no mounting areas to put an emblem there??? Do I have a '34 truck grille or not???
    Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

The V8 kinda clamps (no holes) if I recall

3. 34 - The holes around the grill teeth hold the stainless trim on. 34 only

4. titus

titus

Yepper, thats a 34,

33 has no chrome peice that bolts on the grille around the radiator cap.

and as mentioned above, 34 is the only year with a chrome suround trim

5. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Thanks all, that's what I thought I had but wasn't 100% sure, so wanted to ask. It's in very good shape, but with the all chrome P&J front end I have, I think a '32 with a stainless insert would look better??

6. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

A side note to this subject.

The grill bar part of the stamping for all three years (32 to 34) is the same…..So the stainless 34 surround trim fits 32 and 33 also.

7. titus

titus

Ive always thought they were but i think the 33 and 34 are same but 32 is different, i have a 32 grill that had the bars cut out and ended up with a 34 "insert" cut from another grille but the top corners are a different radius, now the chunk cut from the other grille is a bit odd so it might have been an aftermarket jc whitney type grille so thats maybe where the difference is coming from, i think im gonna go make a pattern of a mint 32 shell i have and compare it to my 33 truck grille.