Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Beating and grinding is the only way she'll listen. (the vent frame that is:D:D:D)

2. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

Perfection in every sense of the word, we're expecting nothing less any more Eric.:)

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

No problem mate.

4. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Hogman.

5. plmczy

plmczy

Looking good.

6. farmer12

farmer12

Thank plmczy. I'm off to work now, but will get busy with the car again next week.

7. good mornin' Eric,

come back soon, nice to see your progress on the Plymouth!! the vent window's comin' out great!

Greets,

your redneck pal, Carsten :D

8. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Carsten, looking forward to my next trip to Hamburg. I've got some more time off the coming weeks and hope to show some more progress. I'll just keep battling on, one step at a time and watch my to do list get shorter.

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks good!
    I am sure that you'll be happy that you decided to keep the vent windows.
    Have you think about the where to get the glass yet?
    I dont know how its in there,but i found out that our local glass shop has laminated glass too.
    Their main business is to cut window glass for houses,but they have cut glass for cars and tractors etc.too.So it doesnt always have to be some "special"shop where to get your goods.

10. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Finnrodder. There is actually a guy about 10 miles from my place that cuts glass for tractors, and also cars sometimes. He's meant to be really good and not too expensive. We'll see when the time comes.

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Eric you would be better off with toughened glass in the side windows, laminated has a habit of cracking due to doors closing, just a thought.

12. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Steve, useful info is always appreciated.

13. farmer12

farmer12

Got stuck into the little window garnish molding today. I first cut it in three pieces and had to change the radius on two corners. Made quite a few relief cuts and just basically spot welded it all until I got the correct shape. Going to do the other one tomorrow and then weld them both up. In the last pic you can see the difference between the two.:D

Attached Files:

14. That's a quite a difference between the original molding and the newly reshaped one. As always, your work is excellent.

so you gonna chrome all of the garnish moldings when you're done???? :)

15. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

good lord what a bitchin car. A+ build

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That toughened glass thing was new info for me.Well,i guess you are never too old to learn something new.
    Btw,great job with the garnish moulding.Keep it up!

17. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Hivolt5.0, your comments are always appreciated. I believe that the original mouldings were painted "wood grain", I'll be painting them the same color as the exterior.

18. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you GreenGrenade.:D

19. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Finnrodder.

20. Sometimes chopping the roof is the fast part. All the little pieces will drive you crazy modifying them. In the states we call the glass tempered glass. Nice progress Eric.

21. plmczy

plmczy

nice job on those garnishes eric. If I were to do that I would need a couple sets of them, I know i'd mess them up,lol.

22. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks milwscruffy. Even though chopping a roof correctly is not an easy task, I believe its all the small/interior pieces that finish it off. Everything from glass, weatherstripping, mouldings, etc require modification. Fun but time consuming.

23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Still working on those roof pieces, uh?

That speaks a lot about the quality you're striving for in this build. Perfection cannot be rushed. Top notch work as always..

Maybe one of these days, I'll build something a little harder to build than a Model A. :)

24. The devil is in the details.

25. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you TexasSpeed. Yes, I'm still working on the doors and all the moulding, but the end is in sight!

You would think it was copy/paste when it comes to making the other window garnish, but there are subtle difference in angles between the two. Not that anyone will be able to see it......both now exactly fit the window they were made for.

Unfortunately I ran out of time, so I'll be welding them tomorrow.

Attached Files:

26. farmer12

farmer12

I think its the details that will set a car apart from others. Few people realise the amount of work that is required to get it to that stage. It's the whole package: planning, fabrication, welding, etc that is the time consuming part. Somehow I forget all of that when I've completed a new part.:D

27. speed v8

speed v8

Great work on those garnishes. Beautiful work.

28. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you speedv8. Patience is the key word.:D

29. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks plmczy. Whenever I'm fabricating something, I just think "its only metal". You can usually correct your mistakes with a bit of patience. I like to take things slow and accurate, instead of just rushing into it. It has worked for me so far.:D

30. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great work as usual, Eric!