Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What us trad rodders were doing in the 70's...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

2. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

3. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

4. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

5. Someone stop Rocky before he goes blind!

I think many of those lace and multi-color graffix cars were by products of the cocaine infested disco days.

6. The song "Dreamweaver" comes to mind when I see the murals and stuff on these cars!:D:cool:

7. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

8. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

9. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I personally always thought that pro streeters and muscle cars were lame and pretty damned gay, but I wasn't actually alive in the 70's. My wife was ('78) so does that count? But wasn't pro street and 80's trend? Or am I wrong about that?

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  10. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

11. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

12. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

...................[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

There is a big difference between pro-streeters and muscle cars. The pro-street stuff started showing up in the mid to late '80s, while the muscle cars came out in the '60s. Regarding pro-streeters, anyone could take a plain jane body, back half it and stuff in whatever power plant they could afford. Lots of them were all show and no go and we loved shutting them down with our primered and dented muscle cars.
    "...lame and pretty damned gay"? You're just showing the ignorance of your young age. It would probably not be a good idea to make that comment while face to face with someone who actually experienced that era. Chances are you'd have a bad hair day.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  14. the "first reconized" pro street car was a black and gold 70 or 72 chevy vega it came out mid 70's

15. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

That was Mike Johnson's Vega High. I remember the crowd that formed around that car when it first showed up behind B o A for street race night. It was a solid 10 second car, yet his goal was for it to be a 9 second car

16. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Come on there Dog Dish, Lame and Gay are not terms easily understood with the muscle car crowd. You are insulting those of us. But, like OahuEli said, probably don't know any better. You are wrong about that.

Or maybe I'm just getting too old......I Miss The OLD HAMB...

1966 L-88 M-22 Chevelle

17. Larry T

Larry T

I "kinda" remember reading about Mike Johnson. Anyone have any pictures of the Vega?
    What other cars did he have?
    Larry T

18. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxr2iderUH1qj9cz5o1_1280.png

Great to spot an ad for Nickey Chevrolet / Bill Thomas Camaro. My late father and Bill Thomas Jr. were good friends, attending Villa Park HS together. Sr. died a few years ago. I talked to Bill Jr. a couple of days ago, he's working on off road race trucks at the moment. My dad had all kinds of funny stories about Bill and their automotive adventures together. Great stuff.

19. Maaaaan Mr Haney,
    I don't think I would have posted that. :D:D:D

20. outlaw256

outlaw256

hey dogdish,glad you aint very close right now.lol. i built a pro-street car back in the late 70s.best run was high 11s.not to shabby for the late 70s.of course back then gay meant happy.ive had muscle cars, pro streeters,and about every other type of car you could have, except imports, never had one of those.i liked them all, still do.in fact we have been building a ot prostreet nova in the shop for awhile now.bet money its quick as hell.but then i still like certain cars with the ass in the air too!! lol

21. outlaw256

outlaw256

no way sam123, if i did a line aint now way in hell i could stay still long enough to paint a car.i might try to outrun one with my feet but never paint one lol. but even today i still like some of these paint jobs. man they are a work of art.and damn hard to do!!

22. Hell I remember a fag being a cigerette. :D

Dogdish is probably OK, he rubs me the wrong way but most people do so he is in good company. Something that I learned when I was young is that for some young folks it takes a long time to get their shit togehter.

reminds me of a time in the '70s, I was with a bunch of friends and there was this fella a little younger than I was that was hangin' around. He had a late model bike and couldn't understand that some of us still prefered older bikes.

This fella that was a little older had come up from Holley Wood for a visit. He had this old knucklehead ape hanger bike. It was the first bike he ever owned and his favorite. This older guy was tough as nails and didn't put up with much.

Well this kid shows up and first thing out of his mouth was something bad about the knuck. That was not a good thing. One of the older guys shoves me and says do something Benno so I stepped in the way. My eyebrow hurts just thinking about it. The older guys says, "get out of the way benno" and I said, "I can't do that." And waited for it to hurt again. He laughed and said, "Asshole" then we went and had a beer. The kid figured out it was a good time to leave I guess.

One day the kid just woke up. He ended up living with the older fella learning everything that he could about older bikes.

The '70s good times, I think.

it happens sometimes you just have to wait for it.

23. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  24. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

25. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

All these pics are making me want to get out the cragars and n-50's and put them on my camaro.

26. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

27. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

28. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

that camero above it what I remember the lder guys haivng.....i would love to have that car today.....

29. metalshapes

metalshapes

I know the Centerlines are ( late) '70s, but I'm pretty sure those Draglites are more modern.

And those fake spindlemounts are too.

So lets please not turn this into "what us trad rodders were doing last week"

30. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Yes Sir, I had thought about going back, and deleting some of the pics. that didn't really fit the era. Quite a few of them from this Popular Hot Rodding article did though. Will try to be more correct on the specific time period in the future. Thank you for allowing this thread to continue. It seems to touch a lot of folks, and spark their memories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.