Register now to get rid of these ads!

Super Glue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive Em, May 15, 2012.

1. Drive Em

Drive Em

Who uses Super Glue in their car building? I find myself using it more and more for a lot of aspects in building cars. It works great for holding gaskets to their parts instantly. It works awesome as a thread locker. I've installed dash plaques, and repaired plastic trim with it. Any other interesting uses that you have used it for?

2. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

gorilla glue in a pinch to attach temporary turn signals before any bodywork was begun. I assure you they are properly attached now. have to say though they stayed on until I removed them.

3. I usually just use it to glue up the cracks in my fingers and stuff.

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Works great on plastic lenses.

5. Works amazing on rubber.

6. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I use it in lieu of stitches just about every time I work on my car. Why spend all that money to have a Dr. stitch up your "ow damnit" when you can keep the runny red stuff inside yourself with a $1.50 tube of Super Glue? I can't remember the last time I got a stitch, but I can show you a multitude of scars from self-inflicted wounds held together by cyanoacrylate.

Oh, you mean on a car? Shit no. They make pop rivets for stuff like that.

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I have never been able to stick anything together with that stuff not even my own fingers.

8. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

It wont glue a cats tail back on, but it will do a lot of other things.

9. Drive Em

Drive Em

I also use it during chassis fabrication, it works great for holding tabs and brackets in place where clamps won't fit.

10. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Afraid to ask how you know that...

11. With all the plastics in cars today we use 'Q' bond. It comes with a little bottle of plastic reinforcer powder for those hold to repair areas. Works excellent.

12. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I knew a motorcycle racer who would repair wreck damage on the spot with crazy glue. Bragged about it's strength and bridging qualities. He'd make the glue instantly kick with baking soda.

13. BISHOP

BISHOP

Dont mistake the super glue for eye drops.

14. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Back in the late 70's,I superglue'd the drive teeth on a blower belt. It made 2 runs like that. :D

15. ml68nova

ml68nova

That stuff is strong! I just saw a mythbusters episode on it. One drop held i believe 350 lbs and seven drops picked up a full size ford station wagon and held it in the air for what seemed like forever. These were under the glues idea conditions, between two flat peices of steel. Under any other conditions, like fabric and you would have to use a full bottle to get it to stick.

16. I use it to shut My wifes lips closed.

17. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I'm with you works great on cuts, seals em up so dirt and grease stay out plus they seem to heal faster.

18. Works great installing weather strips. Trunk door whatever .

19. Jimv

Jimv

I think you mean Baking "powder" not soda! Seems to become cement when you mix the two!!
    JimV

20. rodknocker

rodknocker

if super glue is so super, how come you can always get the cap off.

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I love the stuff. Don't forget they also sell a zapper to instantly cure it, a debonder for un-super gluing, and a hand creme you apply before starting work that prevents you from sticking your fingers together. Gary

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I used it to glue up my custom tail light lenses. I glued 56 Chevy tail light bullets to my 56 Ford lenses. Nothing earth shattering but they are one of a kind.:D

23. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

My guess is the cap is made of a polyolefin. Wayno

24. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

X2 works great as a "liquid stitch"

25. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

as an aircraft mechanic i have used super glue to hold nuts in wrenches and sockets for those hard to reach places, also to keep a washer attached to a nut when you cant see the threads you are trying to get them on. good stuff

26. farmboyhotrodder

farmboyhotrodder
    from PA

O-rings: You can make your own custom size to fit cylinder liners (if you have a wet liner application), and have seen this done because none of the correct size were available.

27. I use superglue (cryoacetate) in the shop for wound care more than anything, but on the car i use it alot holding washers to nuts or bolts in blind spots.

My adhesive crutch is West System epoxy and last but not least I use gorilla glue to attach pinion snubbers - the rubber part.

28. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

Funny (or not) you would mention that. I had a boss once that arc burned his eyes, doc gave him some eye drops, he then mistakenly put super glue in eyes :eek:! Then tore the retina opening his eye lid OUCH!

29. FEDER

FEDER

When using it for a cut on your hand or finger do You just squeeze some right in the cut or squeeze it together then apply it over the skin? I hate going to the doctor for anything.
    They truly have a licence to steal. FED

30. BISHOP

BISHOP

Try and hold the cut closed, then apply a layer of glue. When the glue is still wet, pinch the cut a little allowing the glue to just get into the top of the cut. Hold it closed till it dries, then put a good coat of glue on top of the closed cut.