Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

MARK YOUR CALENDARS

Located in his home town, the race car portion of this show is headed by long time, legendary car owner Ken Brenn.

For those of you that might not be aware, Brenn fielded top shelf equipment in ARDC & USAC midgets, URC & USAC sprint cars, USAC champ cars, USAC Indy cars and dirt modified stock cars.
    In more recent years he served as President of the National Old Timers Auto Racing Club (NOTARC).

The race car portion of the show features not only an abundance of Vintage race cars, but also current day cars from all disciplines of racing.

If you have a race car, this is the place to show it.
    If you want to see race cars from almost all eras and disciplines of racing, meet car owners &/or drivers from all those eras .. from local short tracks and drag strips .. all the way to Indy owners and drivers .. THIS IS THE SHOW TO BE AT.

The Warren Township (New Jersey) Antique/Classic/Race Car/Motorcycle Show

The 7th Annual Warren Township
    New Jersey
    Classic/Antique/
    Race Car/Motorcycle Show

When: Sunday, September 9th, 2012
    No Rain Date
    Time: 10:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M.
    Gates open at 6:00am

Where: Warren Township Municipal Grounds
    46 Mountain Blvd.
    Warren, NJ 07059

For those of you wanting to show a car the registration form is available of their web site .. http://www.warrennjcarshow.org/index.html
    Also if you click on the PICTURES tab and scroll down, you'll get a small idea of not only the race car portion of the show, but of the others parts of the show as well.

I hope to SEE 'YA THERE .. I LOOK FORWARD TO IT!!!!

2. sramoa

sramoa

Somebody have got any info for Delly Special?

July 2,1950 Owosso CSRA event,Consolation:..."third Ray Carpenter in Delly Special.The Delly Special is in its twenty-eight season of racing."

3. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Delly was short for (Clarence E.) Delagrange, who owned a Hispano-Suiza powered Sprint Car circa 1938 to '50. The car was originally the third (William T.) Howe Hisso, built in 1932 or '33, so not quite 28 years old. It may, however, have incorporated parts from Howe's earlier cars - Howe started racing around the mid twenties, and was using Hisso power from 1929 (or earlier) onwards.

As usual, with such an old car, legends intermingled with facts in the reported history, even back in the fifties. "Bill" Howe, who was from Saint Louis (MO), had some illustrious personnel in his cars, and won a lot of races - first, as an "outlaw", and later under AAA sanction. Wilson Pingrey, Joe Russo, Bryan Saulpaugh, Bob Carey, Bill Cummings, Mauri Rose, Mark Billman, Clay Corbitt and Jimmy Snyder spent some time handling the Hisso's controls.

When Delagrange, from Fort Wayne (IN), purchased the car, it was no longer eligible for AAA, and he ran it in independent races from Western Pennsylvania over Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and Illionois, with the occasional trip far into the heartlands. His driver roster sounded far less impressive, but some of his speedsters were well known and regarded at the time, and they still won races: Frank Wierer, Johnny van Holsten, Joe Langley, Bill Hooper, Leon Hubble, Bud Dombroski and, most of all, George Tichenor. The last driver in the car that I have is Bob Carpenter from Wabash (IN), who was, I believe, the better known brother of Ray Carpenter.

4. jimg12

jimg12

Awhile back I posted a picture taken at Mitchell, In with the Southern Star on the pole and Cliff Griffith on the outside. The Delly Hisso started 3rd. It was a 100 lapper and the Hisso won it with George Tichenor driving. Bill Cantrell in the Southern Star finished 2nd. The Delly Hisso has been restored. Jim Graybeal

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Anyone recognize this one ?

Attached Files:

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The 4-bar makes me think it's a Pankrantz car, and I'm guessing it might be the Cheesman Offy before it was the Cheesman Offy. :confused:

Attached Files:

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

O.K. I just noticed that your pic is titled 'Gregg' so I'm 99% sure it is the 'pre' Cheeseman Offy as it was originally built for "Bullet Bob" to drive out west.

Attached Files:

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Rootie, you are correct! This pic was shot in a gas station in Vancouver, Wa

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The 'story' goes that a car owner by the name of Michalbus (sp?) out of Wash. had Pankrantz build the car for Gregg to drive. It seems though he was a Mormon and at the time the Mormon hierarchy took a dim view of auto racing and he was encouraged to divest himself of his racing endeavours if he wanted to stay in the good graces of the church. That is how the car ended up in Ind. in the care and coustody of Cheeseman. Don't know the veracity of any of that though, just what I have read.

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That is real close to the story as told to me, I will ask Bob's son Mike, next time I see him, he will know. BTW I should have scrubbed the 'Gregg' off of the picture, it may have taken you a couple of more minutes to solve it.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The 4- bar front pretty much gave it away. Pankrantz was way ahead of his time.

Not too long after it 'went east':

Attached Files:

12. It's May, and with each May comes the drama, the highs, lows and heartbreak of Indy...Here's a great little film depicting the efforts of the 1964 Granatelli STP Novi teams.
    Enjoy!! (Rated G; sound on please)

<a href="%3Ciframe%20width=" 420"="" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V8uLOlxRpUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="">"><a href="%3Ciframe%20width=" 420"="" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V8uLOlxRpUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""><iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V8uLOlxRpUg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>
    [​IMG]

13. sramoa

sramoa

I have a more question:Interesting for me Mike Salay's Szalai car.Is this car raced only National Championship events in 1949 and 1951 Indy 500 or raced any sprint car events in this time?

14. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Welcome to 2012 Indianapolis..

"The PACE CAR has WAY more HorsePower that the racecars"

:cool:

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

RE the pace car, it has to have more power with all the gear and the old drivers it has to haul around! Gary

16. The solution is simple- Supermodifieds running Indy could be just as fast, cost 1/20 the price and some feller building a car in his barn or garage could win the whole
    damned thing-Oh but we can't have that can we now can we?!?! Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  17. yep, I know

18. At Phoenix....the only track they both run at, Supermodifieds would qualify for the Indycar race mid-pack...not bad for a car costing 1/10th to 1/20th the price.:cool:

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't want to burst anyones bubble, but, rules/politics aside, you have as much chance of seeing a FE car roll out to start the 500 as you would of had seeing A.J. Watson roll out a rail frame, upright, balloon tired car in 1963.

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The real solution for increased fields at Indy (and lower expenses?) are NASCAR small blocks. Like the old F5000 cars with offset chassis. Gary

21. And...having 1,000 times the eye appeal.....But no wings......

22. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Truman Myklebust :)

23. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

So who all is heading to Indy and what day? Sorry for the off topic post, but old habits die hard.... We are heading up for vintage days, and maybe Sat. for Time trials....

24. brcisna

brcisna
    from illinois

Rootie,

What brand of wheels would those be on the #25 car you posted in post 18287?
    Just curious? I would guess they are mags? I always wonder were the molds would be for some of those pretty old ,,,smooth,,,looking wheels?:)

Take Care,
    BC

25. There simply has to be some 'big- quietmoney/power' to keep the front engine cars out.
    Ratings seem to be down year after year, attendance seems to be down, and souvineer sales are nothing compared to Nascar.

By now a trend should be showing, but it's still not.

We want our heroes back!

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yes, those are Halibrand magnesium wheels. Pretty much standard fare for all open wheel cars of the 50s/60s. I think some of the old molds are still in existence, Josh would know for sure.

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I don't think there's any conspirecy against front engine cars, the're just a better, more aero, faster race car. This has been going on for 45-50 years now and what you see today is just the natural progression of such. As I see it the waning of popularity goes back to the USAC/CART political crapola of the early 80s and then the CART/IRL political crapola of the 90s and not the type of cars being run. While "genius powers that be" of open wheel racing had their heads firmly planted up their ass's while yanking their puds, Bill France and NASCAR steamrolled right over them, laughing all the way to the bank.
    Having said that, the last Indy car that I had any great interest in rolled off the track on lap 9 of the 1968 race. :) You'll have to excuse me now, I need to make a call on my Ma Bell rotary telephone. I need to find a place that can check the vacume tubes from my DuMont tv, seems to have quit working. :D:D

28. brcisna

brcisna
    from illinois

29. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

Well stated!!:D

30. easter

easter

Very cool film - thanks for posting. There was a quick shot of Jerry Richert grinning before a start. Check out the knobby on the right rear. I saw him bolt one of those on as late as 1967. Man the dirt would fly from a knobby.