Register now to get rid of these ads!

For Those of You Running YOM Plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '59Edsel, May 14, 2012.

1. '59Edsel

'59Edsel

Do you guys do anything to protect your plates (specifically the vinyl stickers) from the elements? Call me paranoid (Which I admit to being sometimes) But having my nice original 1959 sticker getting pelted with rain and such doesn't sit well with me. Anyone have any methods?

2. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

When I got my plates with the stickers already on them (1957, 1961) they were a little worn but I figured if they made it this long (probably outside for many years) then they would do alright going forward. Besides, they live indors at night now.

3. aircoup

aircoup

theyll outlast alot of shit they dont want em fallin apart either '''state of ca i mean''

4. squirrel

squirrel

vinyl stickers? 55 AZ tags are aluminum....they bolt onto the corner of the main plate.

5. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

I think CA stopped the metal tags late 50s or early 60s.

6. first sticker was in 1957 on the '56 plate. I've been running a clear plate protector on my elco since the early 90's, plate and sticker are still good the clear protector has yellowed a little.

Minus the cool logo..............

[​IMG]

7. if you dont like the" bubble" looking cover posted above you can get flat sheet plastic ones also i got mine at autozone they have them in clear, blue,and smoke tint and they can be cut down

8. DocsMachine

DocsMachine
    from Alaska

In Alaska, even the YOM plates have to have a current sticker. My '72 plates have "71" and "72" embossed in- plates were good for two years, Jan to Dec- and I made an add-on tab to go over the 71, to hold the month sticker. The year sticker then went in an open spot elsewhere on the plate- not quite up to code, but no cop has hassled me yet.

My main worry is squishing my front one up against a curb or something. Admittedly my '72s aren't as rare as some, but I still like 'em. :D

Doc.

9. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

i super glued the shit out of my tab. still holds up and ive never stored my car inside or out of the elements

10. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

clear acylic plate is the best way to go, protects your sticker and keeps your plate looking good longer as well..

11. The beauty of running the South Carolina YOM is the DMV issues a sticker for the current month and year but they don't have to be displayed on the tag but must be kept in the car along with the registration. HRP

[​IMG]

12. Say what u want for MA but they also will allow the sticker to be in the car with the registration.

13. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

Yeah! It's hard to believe that a state thats so anti hot rod had the presence of mind to allow the sticker to not have to be on the vintage plate. As a matter of fact, I'll be going for my first inspection with a YOM plate, I may just print out that info from the RMV and have it with me in case the inspection station has any questions.

14. I had a metal tag on a commerical plate in 1999, 2000 it was plastic.

15. '59Edsel

'59Edsel

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I'll have to go the acrylic plate method.

16. I'm thinking that there plate protector will look worse than what little wear the plate and stickers ...

17. Comechero65

Comechero65

In Ca it doesn't matter about the original sticker. You only need that for the original YOM application. Once the plates are approved and the first time you renew the tags you get a new sticker which must go on over the original. Your original sticker will never be seen again.

R

18. 61TBird

61TBird

Who told you that???
    The DMV gives you 2 Metal "Tabs". 1 for the Month and 1 for the Year to mount in the Upper corner of the Rear Plate.
    Of course mine are in the Glovebox with the Registration. :D
    I've been running YOM Plates since '08 and have NEVER been questioned about the '61 Sticker.

19. in ohio if you want to run yom plates you pay a fee of 50.00 and its good for 99years yes 99 years no inspections no stickers nadda but for the 50.00 you first get the state historical tag then you take your yom plate in and the dmv photocopys it and puts it your file and ties the historical registration to it and your good to go you just need to keep the historical tag in your car just incase johnny law wants to see it

thats why if your in ohio you want to make sure if your wanting to buy some to drive on you get the pair cause if somehow someone else has the other one an they have it registerd your out

20. In GA, no sticker is needed on the YOM tag. You have to have a current tag with renewal and registration card in the vehicle but it doesn't have to be displayed. And it's a good idea to go to the GA legislature website and print out a copy of the code section about running YOM tags. Only time I've ever been stopped in my truck was by a local Barney Fife who didn't know the law on YOM tags, had to educate him on the law, so I keep a copy of the code section with me for that purpose if it happens again.

21. RatRoy

RatRoy

Her in Okla. we don't have the stickers on YOM plates..:)

Attached Files:

22. Comechero65

Comechero65

I also got the two metal tabs when my '63 black and yellow plates were approved. But since my plates already have a place for both stickers, the tabs are not needed. The tabs are only used on earlier plates that never had the sticker recesses.

R

23. If it's part of the YOM program you need the tabs. If you car is a '64 you'll have the month on one side and the '64 on the other right?.....don't you need a 3rd spot for the current year?.

24. Comechero65

Comechero65

You don't need a 3rd place for a sticker and the 64 sticker will never be seen again. You can install it on the plate if you wish. But you don't need to.
    But you are going to install the current year sticker over it anyway.
    If it's a 64 plate it already has the two recesses for the 'month' and 'year' stickers. 'Month' goes in the upper left, current 'year' goes in the upper right just like any other later plate. As the years go by you will be just addding the year sticker on top of the previous year sticker just as for any other plate. Can't get more simple than that. Throw the metal tabs away as they are not needed. But the DMV sends them to you no matter what year you are planning to use.

R