Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What does paint color say about your hotrod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Well said .....

2. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Pink gay? Not even close, I'll show you some gay:p. (The paint, not my striper)
    Paul

Attached Files:

• 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      141 KB
      Views:
  3. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

Pearl blue with ghost flames

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I don't care what anyone says, you picked the perfect color for your coupe. Love it ! :)

[​IMG]

Don

5. graham_paige

graham_paige
    from Australia

Im surprised nobody has said it yet.

Red ones go faster :)

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Orange for something different on the '35. My '46 Olds is OEM 2 tone, metallic gold roof and cream bottom.

7. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

My bright orange roadster says I don't give ashit what you think.

8. I painted mine lite blue for the reason that black and red cars were everywhere.

And I LIKE the colour on this car.

Opinions are like you know what - paint YOUR car whatever colour you want, its your car and your money and to hell with what everyone else says or thinks.

Rat

Attached Files:

9. always liked this combo

Attached Files:

10. Sometimes they come in a color that you just can't change. Plus my wife says its blue like my eyes bleah

Attached Files:

11. 5window

5window

It says you spend too much time reading Cosmo stuck between the pages of TRJ and this is an old thread.

12. Weasel

Weasel

My school teacher had a black Jag and he explained that black cars look more solid because the shut line between the body panels disappear. With lighter colors they show up....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

14. Lild

Lild

My car is beige which fits the family car that it is, but is not "me". My favorite color is orange which would look way wrong on a 4 door Valiant. Im going with a metalic medium red. Somewhat classy & not flashy but not as family carish as the original beige

15. Weasel

Weasel

As in British Racing Green? I am considering this for my upcoming roadster build....

[​IMG]

16. 1950 silver bullet

1950 silver bullet
    from Austin, TX

x2 on the chicken

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  17. I am with Tim most of the time, like in 98% of the time.

There are some cars that would look good in either copper or metallic gold, and if I could lay my hands on good quality candy paint I like a deep dark candy red over gold.

Color like the rest of the car is a direct reflection on the build/owner. With few exceptions it is a direct reflection on the builder. Those exceptions would be when the owner doesn't build the car but is intimately involved in the building of the car.

18. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

19. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Just starting a small practice panel to do a mix i've been thinking about for a roof panel etc. Pearl black base with pearl midnight blue highlight (travels from dark navy blue to transparant) lace pattern. Kind of cool as the dark blue can only be seen in certain lights and the lace would show/hide itself. Going to do 2 so i can put a candy over one and flake the other. All good fun;)

20. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

The light blue says "I can't afford a repaint", the dark blue says "I can't afford bodywork, either."

It's still 1000% more fun than a 10-year-old beater, though.

Attached Files:

21. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

WTF.......paint !!!! I knew i was missing somthing.
    B.B.

22. I like black and blue :confused:

Attached Files:

23. jazz1

jazz1

I have a sense of humour and don't really give a shit about this "traditional" BS
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  24. Master of None

Master of None

The worst still has to be the peach with teal scallops of the 80's and early 90's.....

25. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I have a 1/18 scale 32 roadster, and it has been the inspiration for my dragsters paint job, Outhouse Mouse, and will be on my 31 a roadster.

It is cream with a red grill shell, and scallops on the hood ,cowl and partial on doors. Some paint schemes look better on some cars than others. It will be in those colors of primer first.

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Exactly correct! (politically)

27. dkendall

dkendall
    Member Emeritus

Real hot rods are black, some are shiny.

Attached Files:

28. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I was recently told that primer isn't even really paint. But it suites me.............................

[​IMG]

29. Since this thread is back from the dead,,,I'm one of those guys that prefer black paint,it's always traditional and classic! HRP

My sedan & pickup,,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did however deviate from my normal black paint with the wagon,,:rolleyes: HRP

[​IMG]

30. Now that this thread is back I have something that I want to throw out there and you guys can tell me what this color says, because I don't have a clue.

I'm going to paint my '58 a sort of seafoam green color (actually it's a '57 Buick color called Belmont Green), single stage, non-metallic. Interior will be two toned, white and Belmont Green. Why? Because I like it and I think it will look good on my truck. It's not flashy, it's not sinister, it's not badass. I just like it.

What does this color say to you? Of course, I've already decided to go with this color so your opinions won't change anything, but I'd enjoy hearing them. :D

My concern is that even though it's a 50's color, it could still have that 80s-90s easter egg look to it. No silly splash graphics, of course, and I won't be painting my trim the body color. Nope, I like lots of chrome.