Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects This car suffered a brake failure. Don't do this.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, May 14, 2012.

1. badshifter

badshifter

Rarely do I say no. I made a new front frame and installed a new clip and sent it down the road. I said no. Not running with a signed release from the body shop and insurance company. Based on the fuel lines, I see a fire in the near future. All documented for the insurance company.

Attached Files:

2. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

3. Roadsir

Roadsir

That is some nasty work. It's interesting to study those pics and wonder what the hell someone was "trying" to think.
    What do you think will go first the brakes or the fuel line:eek:

4. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

What's all that dripping metal looking shit under the frame?

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

At least he had the Wilwood prop valve resting comfortably on the exhaust pipe.

And it's not like he didn't bust out the grinder and dress some of those welds.

Come on... that's fine. You're just being a build-snob. They built 'em all just like that back in the day.

-Brad

7. Good call, CYA.

8. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

damn,thats nasty

9. 06 pitbull

06 pitbull
    from GA

what do you wana bet the state inspected it & it passed.... dont drive it...

10. no55mad

no55mad

Ask to see the welders certification for overhead welding!

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

12. file name say "37 woodie" ... talk about adding fuel to the fire ... wow!

13. badshifter

badshifter

It attaches to this piece of course, which was installed smashing the brake line.

Attached Files:

14. Master of None

Master of None

Wow that is scary. I'd just be worried that now that you have completed your work correctly; but knowingly allowed the other questionable work slide. It doesn't come back on you for not repairing it correctly. Insurance company's and lawyers love to play the "who touched it last" game.

15. Brings back fond memories of welding with coat hangers.

16. pumpman

pumpman

Man WTF! WTF, I see a major train wreck not in the future but really soon. Good call on Thank you but no thank you.

17. Please post a picture of this 37 abortion so we can know when to get out of the way! What a pile of shit. Is the right top picture part of an exhaust flange?!?!?!

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

I think that is the formation of metal stalactites.

19. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Amazing design and fabricating skills... My cat can weld better than that. Scary looking stuff.

20. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

21. badshifter

badshifter

I think it is an exhaust flange. It won't run for a long while I'm sure. The fuel pump is scheduled to fall of due to a failure of the pinched hose........or something like that...if the center of the frame does not collapse first...

Attached Files:

22. With all due respect, I think I may have had to say 'No' to doing ANY work on that POS. If the owner did any of that 'craftsmanship', nothing good will ever come of trying to fix what he did, because he'll fuck something else up later.

If, however, it was bought that way, then I would insist on repairing the whole, or nothing.

Cosmo

23. jhutch713

jhutch713

Don't they say what you don't know won't hurt you? It must be true, "they" said it.

24. charlieb66

charlieb66

Glad that piece of crap is in California. Just think some of you may meet this car on the road, good luck.

25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Even my grandson would know better than to hang a rearend on a hot exhaust by the rubber brakeline.....and he is never serious.

[​IMG]

26. any way you can keep that time bomb off the road?

27. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

YIKES! There was a meathead that used to show up at our cruise-night with a shitbox cobbled together like that. Everyone told him he was gonna kill himself. Turns out we were wrong. He only almost killed himself. Car came apart, he got ejected & got a nice helicopter ride to the hospital. Months out of work & he'll never be the same again physically. When every hot rodder you know tells you your car's a deathtrap, listen! Hope this guy figures it out before someone gets hurt.

28. tjmercury

tjmercury

Holy Molten Metal Batman!!! I bet drunken monkeys coulda done a better job with bubble gum and bamboo!

29. wow, thats some gnarly handy work.....

30. i wonder what make and model... ( so i can run when i spot it ) ;)