Register now to get rid of these ads!

A question for pro glass installers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saxman, May 13, 2012.

1. I don't know squat about glass. I replaced a couple of windshields in my time but that was more than 30 years ago.

I need a new windshield for my '58 Chevy truck (I still have the original but it's delaminating pretty bad around the edges). My plan right now is to have a local glass guy order a new windshield and install for me. I have no doubt that I could intall it myself but I would like to do so without breaking it, so maybe I should leave it to a pro since I would like to just buy one windshield and not two or three. :D

My questions are:

1) I got the impression from reading some threads a while back that not all windshields are created equal. Is there more than one company that manufacturers windshields for my truck?

2) If there is more than one manufacturer, what are the quality differences and what do you pro glass guys recommend and why?

3) Any other advice?

Thanks guys.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

My guy will set you up with a good one if you want to try or he will do the install also. His number is 951-789-8870 ask for Carson.

3. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

What ever you do, replace the gasket also.The new auto glass is not as thick as the full 1/4 inch that came in your truck. Let a glass shop do it, if he breakes it he has to replace it..

4. Those are my thoughts too.

5. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Saxman if you do decide to fit it yourself (its not that hard) pm me and i'll talk you through it. Autoglazier buy trade (20+ years) and there's a few tricks that make the job alot easier;)

6. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Saxman i've pm'd you the process should it help either way.

See what you think, i'm only a pm away if you you go that route

:cool:

p.s "Bitch slapping it finally into place" is not a reconised or polically correct technical term to use when refering to easing a glass into place.

7. Thanks gasolinescream for the PM with the pro tips and detailed instruction. I think you've convinced me to give this a shot.

Anyone know where to find the best glass, or does it make a difference?

8. chopped

chopped

I piggy-backed your post and shot him a PM also. He got right back to me with the same info. The guy's a true rodder helping out when he can. Thanks Dan

9. Back in my Auto glass installing days, I only used LOF and PPG brand auto glass. Quality glass and the best reputable gasket money can buy means total satisfaction/longevity.
    New gaskets can be rather tight, if you have a dark colored truck and the old paint was something like yellow, expect some of the old paint to show after installation. Then again, you might get lucky and everything is covered up.

10. Thanks Beebing. It looks like PPG has changed their name to PGW.

11. Thanks!

12. Gator

Gator

Just got a new windshield installed in my daily driver '55 Chevy pickup - new gasket, etc. Fits OK, but not tight at the corners and leaks a bit - I'm pretty sure it's because of the reduced glass thickness...

13. that's right they moved to china and changed the name to protect the guilty lol

14. bob giles

bob giles

Not all rubber is the same. Several installers tried and failed using Steele rubber. Another brand was used and was sucessful. Steele was very nice to deal with and refunded my money.

15. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Not very often i can help with tech things here so glad to help.

:cool:

16. Thats strange I've used steel rubber products for over 30 years and never had a problem.
    Fargo rubber is one to stay away from.

17. Yeah, I've always heard that Steele was the one to use.

18. Plootz

Plootz

All vehicle glass has to meet Federal standards before it can be installed.

19. I have a slightly o/t 1961 MG Midget and I am about to install windscreen.
    Its a one pc gasket with a "string" sort of business -- The rubber fits the frame fairly well and the thin glass is still wrapped - think its possible to install by a never done one guy?

Attached Files:

20. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

hahaha it all about glass tonight. Skeezix you have pm. My dog could do that job

and he's dead:eek:

I'll pm you some possible help, give me 10 mins, need a cup of tea.;)

Dan:cool: