Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Disney's California Adventure CARS LAND Opening June 15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vividlyvintage, May 12, 2012.

1. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

No problem. My pleasure.

These are my average prices at the moment.

I stay at a hotel (its secret ;) i will tell you in pm or email. I just do not want a flood of people at my fave hotel )that is walking distance from the parks entrance (about 1.5 blocks) its no embassy suites but its decent and every time i have been there it has been clean and friendly.

Tickets:

Disneyland adult (age 10+)Tickets (3 day park hopper pass) $196.00 (reg. Price $214.00 for adult)

Disneyland child (age 3-9) Tickets (3 day park hopper pass) $180.00 (reg. Price $198.00)

3 years or younger are FREE

Hotel for 4 nights:

Total =$356.00 (89.00x 4 nights)
    Taxes/fees= $54.32
    Total($89.00x4+tax/fees) = 392.52
    Use of online coupon code= -$17.80
    Subtotal($356.00+$54.32-$17.80)=$392.52

Recap:

Tickets: $392.00 ($196.00x 2 adults)
    Hotel: $392.52 (for total of 4 nights)

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

2. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

Pretty cool post! I was fortunate enough to help Chip and be one of the 3 pinstripers (Dennis Ricklefs, Jeff Styles and myself) and had a ball working on the project! Was even funnier watching EVERYONE flipping out on my pinstriping paint box. John Lassiter (who directed Cars) told me he had to have it for the "Racers" ride and let's work out a deal. My paint box is now part of ths coolest museum ever! This was one of the coolest things I've ever been involved in! As far as the comment of Chip being a "Gold chainer" i dont think you have that quite right. Chip is hands on with everything he does and is a pretty good fabricator and painter on his own, plus he drives his stuff so I'd say that comment is a bit wrong. I'll be visiting there a bunch down the road cuz it's really cool too!

3. Brandi

Brandi

Probably 1991/92.

4. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

It was not meant in any way to be disrespectful. I love his work. It is just he would be categorized on the HAMB as a gold chainer. Chip is one of the few guys that at his level of popularity still gets his hands dirty and for that i have the largest amount of respect for him. He didnt go "hollywood" and allow himself to just sit back and collect. He is a gold chainer by definition because he prides himself in his flawless paint work and other finishes and by no other reason. It was not meant to be disrespectful in any way.

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com[/u rl]

5. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

WOW ALOT has changed!! You probly wouldnt recognize it. Lol

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

6. hotrod 49

hotrod 49

When you guys get a chance to go, check out the interiors of all the shops. They were designed by my friend Emo. She is an amazing talent and is still in her 30's! My friend Kathy was in charge of the whole project and she rocks too! Serious talent working down there and one of the funnest (is that a word?) projects I've ever been involved with!

7. We have been waiting for this to open, Our next trip down will probably be right after thanksgiving. Wonder if they will decorate cars land for the holidays?

8. bennydog

bennydog
    from Corona

I was an Inspector on this project for over a year from putting up the steel for the mountain range and pouring concrete for the giant air hockey table for luigi's flying tire ride, buiding to cozy cones and flos v8 cafe, Radiator spring racers is gonna be fun. I would watch the movie every night with my son and man is this place gonna be just like the movie. I have lots of pics of various stages of construction if anyone is interested, BTW Chip Foose came out and drew a hot rod picture of ramone the 59 impala on the steel on the far west side of the mountain range by the entry portal from paradise peir. it is on one of the steel columns. I will try to find a pic!

9. Awesome post folks. Trying to convince the wife to make the trip out west intead of to Orlando but it's a tough sell. This might help.

10. Davyj

Davyj

Man, I sure hope i have time to pop over and see this when we drive out for LARs on father's day..............Haven't been to Disneyland since 80 .........quite a while.

11. I for one am geeking out about CarsLand. My Ma' is bringing my youngest nephew out to visit this summer. Plan has been in the works for a couple years. We set the date to coincide wit work/school schedules, and I was upset that it had to be at the peak of tourist season. Mid July YUCK!! Then I found out about CarsLand a month or so ago and that it will be open before they come out for vacation. Now I am really happy about the dates they will be here. I have since been following the build-up of this. Hats off to the Imagineers and artists bringing a CGI cartoon to life! I can't wait to see this in person.

12. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

Looks like they are losing Eisner's "California Epcot" and making it into the MGM Studio tour in Florida...

13. grabrr

grabrr

Disney sure has spend some cash the last few years, between Florida, and California...

14. von zipper

von zipper

Gotta spend money to make money! and they make plenty! I'm going to San Francisco in July. Had I known..........

15. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

man, looks like Disney really hit a home run here. California Adventure was a flop other than the rollercoaster and a couple other rides. Dig the new entrance design and it appears they went all out on the Cars land-which is pretty neat! I know i will be checking it out! :)

16. My company did some plaster work on that job. Excited to go and see it finished...

17. Looks like it will be a ton of fun. No way I would stand in line two hours for anything though. My knees hurt just thinking about it.

My sons and I drove down to DL when they were in their early teens (29 and 30 now) I took them out of school and we hit the park in the middle of a school week. No lines at all and if we liked the ride we just got off of we hopped right back on. Any chance its still like this, or is it packed all the time now?

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Love it when a fantasy comes to life. I hope they do one in Orlando, too. Gary

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  19. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I am sure once they see how well this one will do, they will. But at the moment Orlando is revamping their fantasyland. So i am sure it is on the list but further on the list for Orlando.

Details are the difference between Disney and other parks. One really cool detail is on the Matterhorn Mountain. They have been working on the historic and iconic ride for almost 5 months now. They rebuild the bobsleds, repainted the mountain, and added special touches such as glass beads to the snow patches to make it shimmer and sparkle like real snow.

There are so many details at Disneyland and ca adventure that i would be here all day listing them. But that is what Walt intended. He wanted to overload your mind with so many details that you would forget the world outside of Disneyland. That is why Cars land is so amazing. If you showed someone photos of Cars land and didn't tell them where it was, they would assume it was in the desert somewhere.

Anyone who has said that they worked on the land, first of all GREAT JOB! Second, i would love to hear secrets or about special details that few will see or know about.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  20. Lil32

Lil32

What a shame,we come over every year to the LA Roadster Show and visit Disney.15June we will be heading back from Lake Tahoe to San Dimas .Guess we will have to do it next year .Love the Space Mountain ride

21. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

This is bad for sure. Will have too make this a summer trip. They should throw a big car show in there

22. Man I havent been to Disneyland since california adventure first opened. I was born in anaheim and remember being able to watch the fireworks from my grandmas porch. Looks like I need to plan a trip!

23. Lil32

Lil32

We agree,our first visit to California Adventure we thought what a waste ,but last year we enjoyed it more.As per your last post we will be driving from Lake Tahoe to Roadster Show on 15 June Next year we will see Cars

24. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

Wow, that's amazing. Defo on my list of places to go when I can make it over to the States, even if it's just for 1 day.

25. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

CG,

it is significantly less during the week. but lines can still be 45 minutes or so depending on the time of day. the hotter it gets, rides like space mountain, Indiana Jones, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and splash mountain will increase in wait time as the cue lines are inside as apposed to a ride like big thunder mountain where the cue line is completely exposed to the sun.

I actually have a secret.. never before shared this with anyone outside my family. but as many trade secrets as the HAMB has shared.. it is the least that I could do.

I start immediately by heading to the Adventure land. and ride these rides in order:
    Starting at 8AM (park opening)

1.Jungle Cruise
    2.Indiana Jones
    3.Pirates of the Caribbean

Make a left out of the exit, follow path to New Orleans square station, then continue straight to the haunted mansion.

4.Haunted mansion

make a left from the exit and go directly into the splash mountain cue. by then it will be about 9:30/10am so the sun will be out so you will dry.

5.splash mountain.

Then follow the rim of the rivers of america to Frontier land

6. big thunder mountain rail road

after you exit head straight to fantasy land. about this time it will be noonish. so most little kids will be at lunch. so lines are usually smaller.

you can choose which ride to go on in any order in fantasy land.

one you finish there, head to the matterhorn. line will be large but not huge. maybe 15/20 min. after matterhorn head to tomorrowland and make a judgement call on weather watch the 3d show, or go on space mountain, or the autopia.

after that head to it's a small world (if thats your thing) and then head into toon town. (if you want to meet characters, go directly to toon town at opening which is roughly 9am or so.. check your map.

then for the rest of the day I just kinda cruise.. i go on rides that may have been too long that I bypassed, and or shows that I missed.. such as Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, or the tiki room.

i have been to disneyland over 15 times and each times it has worked.

I hope this helps you navigate your way through the park more quickly and cover more in one day to maximize your Disney vacation.

oh and if you can.. go to the carnation cafe and say hi to Chef Oscar who will come by and check on service and how your breakfast is. he has been working there since 1955 and is the only Disney employee to have continuously work for 57 years. He is awesome to talk to as well.

here is an article about the carnation and chef Oscar:

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/...carnation-cafe-and-interview-with-chef-oscar/

California adventure is not engineered in a way to make a route like what i shared above. It is kind of a hodge podge of areas. So for California adventure your on your own.

26. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Update via Dateline Disney on www.miceage.com

A Culinary Journey Through Cars Land With a nod to landmark diners along America’s historic Route 66, guests will feel as if they have stepped into the town of Radiator Springs at Cars Land, with a contemporary spin on classic tastes from the 1950s.

“We started working nearly four years ago on the concepts,” says Disneyland Chef Chris Maggetti. “For Cars Land, we’ve developed fast-casual restaurants with lots of fun tastes, from dill pickle popcorn to chili and cheese – we call it chili cone queso – in an edible bread cone.” Cars Land has three spots for guest to fuel up: Flo’s V8 Cafe, Cozy Cone Motel and Fillmore’s Taste-In. Each location has a story, of course.

Flo’s V8 Cafe is inspired by timeless roadside diners and boasts “the finest fuel in the 50 states.” To cater to the growing number of Route 66 visitors and race fans coming to Radiator Springs, Flo expanded her place by adding a “showroom” dining area, the story goes.

“The showroom is part of the 300-seat dining room that looks out directly over the Radiator Springs Racers attraction,” says Chef Sean Layne, area chef for Cars Land. Layne developed the restaurant’s signature vegetarian dish, a veggie-tater casserole that’s sure to be a hit with guests.

Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, the menu for Flo’s will change often, with the centerpiece of the restaurant an on-stage rotisserie where guests will see meats grilling, such as New York strip loin, citrus-marinated turkey breast and pork loin flavored with Coca-Cola barbecue sauce. Breakfast specials include brioche French toast with salted caramel and bananas and chicken tamales with scrambled eggs. Craft beers from Bear Republic Brewing Co. in Healdsburg, Calif., and California wines also are on the menu.

House-made pies are the recipes of Disneyland Pastry Chef Jean-Marc Viallet. The single-serving pies come in strawberry-rhubarb, Apple-Cheddar, chocolate mud, cherry and blueberry-peach, to name a few.

Cozy Cone Motel is inspired by the quirky “wigwam” motels along Route 66 with each of five teepees offering tasty cone-themed treats. Cone Number 1 offers churro bites with cinnamon-chocolate sauce, cinnamon-spiced hot cocoa and Ramone’s Pear of Dice Soda made with dessert pear syrup, mojito syrup and Sprite. Cone Number 2 features soft-serve ice cream and “route” beer floats. Cone Number 3 offers savory bites all served in edible bread cones, such as a bacon-scrambled egg cone for breakfast, chicken verde or chili “cone” queso for lunch and dinner. Cone Number 4 is pretzel bites with cheesy sauce and Red’s Apple Freeze, a fat-free, frozen concoction with apple juice, toasted marshmallow syrup and passion fruit-mango foam. Cone Number 5 features two flavored popcorns daily, such as dill pickle and sweet & spicy.

Fillmore’s Taste-In is home to resident hippie, Fillmore, where “natural fuels” are on the shelves in his tie-dyed geodesic dome, including whole and cut fruits, bottled water and juices, and soft drinks.

The monorail orange will receive a cars land wrap before the opening of cars land.
    [​IMG]

Great hand painted wall signs can be seen from the monorail track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buena Vista Street nearing completion.

[​IMG]

Also news that i had previously forgotten to mention for all those chocolate lovers is the addition of the Ghirardelli Chocolate company opening a small store/factory at the area in California adventure called the Wharf.

[​IMG]
    (Ghirardelli Square in San Francisco)

[​IMG]
    (Ghirardelli Square in San Francisco)

[​IMG]
    (Concept art for the CA Adventure location)
    [​IMG]
    (Concept art for the CA Adventure location)

Here is a news article on the location: (LA Times)
    The soda fountain and chocolate shop will add yet another layer of traditional San Francisco flair to the Pacific Wharf area of the park.

“The addition of a world-renowned brand like Ghirardelli highlights our focus on providing quality, immersive experiences that transport our guests to a different place – in this case to San Francisco,” said Mary Niven, vice president of Disney California Adventure park. “With the culmination of our expansion only a few months away, it is an exciting time at Disney California Adventure and we look forward to partnering with Ghirardelli in bringing this delicious chocolate experience to our guests.”

The new location will feature Ghirardelli’s world-famous hot fudge sundaes and decadent chocolate products. Each guest will be able to enjoy a complimentary sample of the signature Ghirardelli Squares® chocolate. The Disney California Adventure store follows the 13-year success of a similar location at Downtown Disney in Walt Disney World.

“We are very excited to expand our successful relationship with Disney, particularly as we prepare to celebrate our 160th anniversary next year,” stated Martin Thompson, Ghirardelli president and CEO. “Our rich heritage, which began in California, combined with our premium brand of high-quality chocolate is a perfect fit with the quality experience Disney offers their guests.”
    Ghirardelli joins Disney California Adventure as it completes an expansion that began in 2007.

Here is the location as it looks today.

[​IMG]
    (This location was formerly the site of the Mission Tortilla factory tour. It closed in 2011)

[​IMG]
    This is Ghirardelli's location under construction

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  27. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Now to the best part. CARS LAND!

Here are more spectacular photos of the amazing Walt Disney's Imagineers achievement known as Cars Land.

Main st. [​IMG]

You can see the towns founder and former husband of Lizzy (the model T) Stanley.. a Stanley Steamer atop his memorial statue in front of the court house/fire station

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cozy cone. (Look at the fence. Its made of cones) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photos released from Disney:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flo's
    (I wonder what the address is at Flo's... 331 Hemi way? Lol)
    [​IMG]

Mater's [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luigi's and Guido's [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  28. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Two buildings not really shown yet are Sarge's surplus and Filmore's hut. Here are the concept art and what photos are available for both

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"I'm telling ya man, the third blink is slower..."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    50 gallon drum wind mill
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spark plugs and wing nut atop the air cleaner roof
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cozy cone
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mater's jukebox for his junkyard jamboree
    [​IMG]

This is showing the imagineers riding radiator springs racers and there is a sign above for tail light caverns. It will ve a cavern with all stalagmites and stalactites that are shaped like caddy tail lights amongst others.

[​IMG]

That is it for now. I will continue to post updates of new info, details, and photos as they come up. Again, if you would like tips and tricks on cheaper ticket prices and hotel rates please email me and i will share where i stay and how i save money every time i go.

29. derbydad276

derbydad276

I showed this to my 14 yr old shes stoked and wants to go

30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, where do we get H.A.M.B. friendly discount tickets? Ha!